Turn on thread page Beta

Animal Testing watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    these bunnyfacists need lining up and shooting, they're not interested in the welfare of the animals, if they were they'd not of realeased hunderds of minx into the enviroment decimating the bird populating. They're just social rejects who latch onto this stuff cos they can be violent and hide behind a so called "Just" cause
    I think the reason they do such silly things is

a. they imagine anything is better than prolonged torture
    b. any attack which limits their ability to operate in the long term is a good thing
    c. it's a highly visible thing to do which attracts publicity which will help in the long term

ReputationRep:
    these bunnyfacists need lining up and shooting, they're not interested in the welfare of the animals, if they were they'd not of realeased hunderds of minx into the enviroment decimating the bird populating. They're just social rejects who latch onto this stuff cos they can be violent and hide behind a so called "Just" cause
    It's true a lot are just general thugs who've joined this cause.

ReputationRep:
    someone who truely cared abou the rights of an animal wouldn't just realease them into nature! its insane they'll eiether all die or kill everything else.

They're just thugs! i'm all for animal rights humans also being animals deserve rights too, someone has to test these drugs i'm sure they don't wake up in the morning and think "Hey i think i'll give a rat the plague today, that'll be a laugh!!!" they do it becouse it needs to be done!

Why don't these activists want to help dying humans? if they're so tough why not go to iraq and help out people there? they don't becouse they're cowards.

ReputationRep:
    someone who truely cared abou the rights of an animal wouldn't just realease them into nature! its insane they'll eiether all die or kill everything else.

They're just thugs! i'm all for animal rights humans also being animals deserve rights too, someone has to test these drugs i'm sure they don't wake up in the morning and think "Hey i think i'll give a rat the plague today, that'll be a laugh!!!" they do it becouse it needs to be done!

Why don't these activists want to help dying humans? if they're so tough why not go to iraq and help out people there? they don't becouse they're cowards.
    They do care about animals, in their eyes, it is better than an animal is out causing havoc, than locked up undergoing torture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    They do care about animals, in their eyes, it is better than an animal is out causing havoc, than locked up undergoing torture.
    But you can't just release animals bred in captivity into the wild, there has to be a transistion period.

ReputationRep:
    But it doesn't make what they're doing right, killing or attacking a fellow human is even worst than animal testing!! And i bet these people aren't all vegitarian, cos its just the same thing, animals die so we can live in both cases.

psychopaths think its right to brutally murder their victims does that make it right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    But you can't just release animals bred in captivity into the wild, there has to be a transistion period.
    Ideally no, but it's better that they cause havoc than suffer torture.

ReputationRep:
    oh right so its ok for them to torture other animals in the wild?

ReputationRep:
    But it doesn't make what they're doing right, killing or attacking a fellow human is even worst than animal testing!!
    We're talking about releasing animals into the wild though.

psychopaths think its right to brutally murder their victims does that make it right?
    Again, we're talking about releasing animals into the wild not murdering people. But more importantly, I never said they're right, but given that they believe that testing is unacceptable, they're doing the only logical thing in their eyes.

ReputationRep:
    oh right so its ok for them to torture other animals in the wild?
    Yes, given that it's not likely to be comparably distressing. And that it's like to reduce distress in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    right so you're saying that its not ok for a human, an animal, to experement on another anmial, but it ok for that same animal to butcher something else? what the hell did the wildlife do to you?

ReputationRep:
    right so you're saying that its not ok for a human, an animal, to experement on another anmial, but it ok for that same animal to butcher something else? what the hell did the wildlife do to you?
    Yes. Big metal probe stuck in your exposed brain, or animals inappropriately ransacking the countryside. The former sounds worse to me.

Also, a few visible events like releasing animals into the countryside may well be what's needed to permanently stop animal testing. So whilst it may cause a small amount of distress in the short term, it may stop any potentially large amounts of suffering in the long term.

So my point is, if you apply a unit to suffering, then although you introduce suffering by inappropriately releasing animals. Your actions reduce suffering in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    You'd rather see the human race dying out than a few poor bunny's dying wouldn't you!

Someone has already made this point before, but it was such a good point i'll make it again incase you've not see it.

and i quote.... (Good point made by "babyballerina" earlier on in this thread)

"so many people say they are totally against animal testing, but I've never met anyone who is prepared to give up all medicines for life because of it. Yet all medicines in this country (and the EU and North America) have been tested on animals. You could probably take chinese medicine but that's all. If you have ever taken any licenced drug, you have benefitted from animal testing."

So next time you get a headache stop and think before you take anything for it.

ReputationRep:
    You'd rather see the human race dying out than a few poor bunny's dying wouldn't you!

Someone has already made this point before, but it was such a good point i'll make it again incase you've not see it.

"so many people say they are totally against animal testing, but I've never met anyone who is prepared to give up all medicines for life because of it. Yet all medicines in this country (and the EU and North America) have been tested on animals. You could probably take chinese medicine but that's all. If you have ever taken any licenced drug, you have benefitted from animal testing."

Is this aimed at me? Because if so you're wasting your time. I never expressed a viewpoint on animal testing.

ReputationRep:

Should all those who are against the war in Iraq be denied from living in the UK?
    Should all those who are against George Bush be denied using any products made by American companies?

Your logic is flawed. When research has led to an adequate medicine being produced, no further research needs to be conducted. It would be a waste of time to further conduct duplicate research that does not make use of animal cruelty, when it would only show what previous research has shown. Thus it is too late to prevent the research conducted to develop current treatments, hence the concentration of animal rights activist's efforts on research for future treatments. The harm has already been done to the animals, not accepting treatments that have been developed through animal testing will not save any animals.

ReputationRep:
    Its not my logic like i said, it was taken from an earlyier post in this thread, just thought it was a good point.

I think its your logic at fault, if everyone stops eating meat then no more animals will be slaughtered for meat (They might all be killed to make way for arable land but thats a one off cull). If everyone stops wanting to be healthy and cured then yes no one will make medicine, no money for it.

If you're not prepared to accept that animal testing is needed then surely its against your principles to use medicines tested on animals which as the person said before is just about all of them.

Its like free range eggs, if everyone buys free range then battery goes out of buisness.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Huntingdon Life Sciences for a job as animal technician (carer).

As part of the interview process I was given a tour around the entire animal area and I saw nothing whatsoever wrong with the facilites in which the animals were kept. The people who already worked there appeared to have a genuine love of animals, and in fact I've seen worse facilites on farms or even at re-homing centres for abandoned animals. The cats for example, all had their own large cage for sleeping in, there was also a large area which they were let into to play together - and when I was shown round, most of them had been let out for a play around the entire room.
    All the animals looked happy, and came up for a cuddle or a scratch - I was also informed that almost all of them go on to be re-homed after they have been used for testing.

Considering that practically all man-made substances (and presumably other naturally occuring ones as well) these days must under go strict testing and trials before they can be released into the public sector - I think it is impossible to do away with animal testing. I also think that a lot of animal rights activists are 100 times worse than the people they are protesting against - for example, a lady I know who worked merely in the accounts dept. of huntingdon life sciences was targeted for almost a year by acitivists - she was attacked, had threatening letters sent almost every day, had her car vandalised severely and was also on the recieving end of other unpleasant things. People who do things like that to other human beings make me sick.

Of course I completely disagree with cruel animal testing such as vivisection etc - as well as the testing of unneccessary substances. And I do think that animal testing could be reduced - for example the way that the testing of make-up has been banned on animals now. However for both human and animal medicine (when you take your beloved pet to the vets, how do you think the drugs it recieves where tested?!) I feel it is at the moment, a neccessary evil.

ReputationRep:
    Thankgod a sensible person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirrel)
    I applied to Huntingdon Life Sciences for a job as animal technician (carer).

As part of the interview process I was given a tour around the entire animal area and I saw nothing whatsoever wrong with the facilites in which the animals were kept. The people who already worked there appeared to have a genuine love of animals, and in fact I've seen worse facilites on farms or even at re-homing centres for abandoned animals. The cats for example, all had their own large cage for sleeping in, there was also a large area which they were let into to play together - and when I was shown round, most of them had been let out for a play around the entire room.
    All the animals looked happy, and came up for a cuddle or a scratch - I was also informed that almost all of them go on to be re-homed after they have been used for testing.

Considering that practically all man-made substances (and presumably other naturally occuring ones as well) these days must under go strict testing and trials before they can be released into the public sector - I think it is impossible to do away with animal testing. I also think that a lot of animal rights activists are 100 times worse than the people they are protesting against - for example, a lady I know who worked merely in the accounts dept. of huntingdon life sciences was targeted for almost a year by acitivists - she was attacked, had threatening letters sent almost every day, had her car vandalised severely and was also on the recieving end of other unpleasant things. People who do things like that to other human beings make me sick.

Of course I completely disagree with cruel animal testing such as vivisection etc - as well as the testing of unneccessary substances. And I do think that animal testing could be reduced - for example the way that the testing of make-up has been banned on animals now. However for both human and animal medicine (when you take your beloved pet to the vets, how do you think the drugs it recieves where tested?!) I feel it is at the moment, a neccessary evil.

When I was offered my D.Phil position at Oxford, I had the paperwork ready to sign and send back for a full time position as senior genetic toxicologist (inc part time PhD) with Huntingdon (out at Eye). I have to say, I was very impressed with the animal facilities.

Part of my job would have been the development of animal free systems...

ReputationRep:
    Testing on criminals leads to a lot of tricky situations, though. For example, what if there were mistakes? An innocent person may be tortured. It also assumes no hope of rehabilitation, once they've been tested on (I assume we're talking serious testing, rather than the type that is already legal) they would almost certainly need to be killed. Would scientists be able to actually test on humans? Speaking purely from a comfort value. Whether we like it or not, people do value humans higher than animals and there would almost certainly be negative effects on the scientists.
    Then there's the whole issue of which people (how serious a crime) would be able to be tested on. The entire thing seems too open to abuse to be seriously considered.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.