The Student Room Group

How many hours a week was your first year time table?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luluah
9 hours a week ( 3hrs lectures/ 3hrs workshops/ 3 hours seminars).

Education and Childhood Studies

You have such a nice timetable!
architecture

20 hours at uni plus extra time in the studio so about 35-40 hours including weekends...just like it was to be at school with one day off during the weekdays.
In the first year of my Modern Languages degree I think I had around 10 hours a week (4 lectures and 6 seminars). It was a strange timetable though, since all four lectures were on the same day (Monday) and then the seminars split throughout the week. So I ended up with loads at the beginning of the week and barely anything at the end (plus I had Wednesdays off, which was great! I was able to catch up on work from Monday and Tuesday, and prepare for Thursday and Friday)
Haven't gotten my timetable yet (so don't know the # of 9AMs etc) but I've been given some indication of how things break down:
10 hrs lecture
3 hrs problem sheet classes
2 hrs computer labs
1-3 hrs tutorial

16-18 hrs total contact time

Computer Science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine is 3 days a week and a total of about 9/10 hours.
I don't think it's that bad but I would've preferred a little more uni time.
It's not the final timetable as we may be called for extra classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Ishax
You have such a nice timetable!

I know.... its amazing...lol
Original post by luluah
I know.... its amazing...lol

*jealous* where are you studying?
Reply 47
Reply 48
Original post by TrojanH
Also please add what subject your doing:

Just found out my time table.

15 hours a week
3x 9AM starts
3x 4Hr days
2x 2Hr days

CompSci

Economics = 10 hours a week
Politics - 9 hours per week for the entire duration of the course. Definitely didn't feel like I was getting my money's worth at the time.
9 hours - 10-1 on Monday, Tuesdays off, 9-11 on Wednesday, 11-1 on Thursday and 2-4 on Friday.

Not including society meetings (I have a few) and the extra seminars that apparently will be added as the term goes on. International Relations and Spanish. :tongue:
23 hours excluding labs.

Aerospace engineering

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mech eng at imperial ~ 40 hour weeks
Original post by ememoville
Mech eng at imperial ~ 40 hour weeks

of contact time? wot

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did International Relations and first year had 12 hours a week contact time, that got progressively lower though until 3rd year I had 6 hours a week.
Original post by skeptical_john
Another random question: is the 3 x 10 week terms quite standard? In all I'm only doing at most 27 weeks (maybe less with exam breaks?!)

Different universities set their terms out differently, but only being in uni for 27 weeks of the year is perfectly normal. At my old uni we had two terms of 12 weeks then exam time.
Original post by Princepieman
of contact time? wot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah pretty much 9-5 everyday and Wednesday afternoons off - this includes tutorials and Labs
Original post by ememoville
Yeah pretty much 9-5 everyday and Wednesday afternoons off - this includes tutorials and Labs

Lol.... How do you have enough time to breathe after self study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Lol.... How do you have enough time to breathe after self study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Weekends and holidays haha
To some extent I'm envious of people who have long contact hours as it feels like they are getting their money's worth but on the other hand I do feel like I can often make better use of my time than when I'm in a lecture or class.

Quick Reply

Latest