Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, for the equation y=ln(4-x) why doesnt the graph cross the negative x axis since +4 shifts the graph to the left. I first reflected the graph over the y axis. I found that you have to changethe equation to this : y=ln-(x-4) ... Why ?thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Hi, for the equation y=ln(4-x) why doesnt the graph cross the negative x axis since +4 shifts the graph to the left. I first reflected the graph over the y axis. I found that you have to changethe equation to this : y=ln-(x-4) ... Why ?thanks
    It's going to cross the x-axis at the solution of ln(4-x)=0.

Also the transformations that take y=lnx to y=ln(4-x) are

reflection in the y-axis
    translation to the right by 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    It's going to cross the x-axis at the solution of ln(4-x)=0.

Also the transformations that take y=lnx to y=ln(4-x) are

reflection in the y-axis
    translation to the right by 4
    My question is why is the translation to the right not to the left as its +4 thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I asked this question last year,

(Original post by notnek)
    Let's try that.

Start with f(x) = \ln x

"Reflect the graph in the y axis" - this is a transformation f(x)\rightarrow f(-x)

f(-x) = \ln (-x)
    Call this new function g(x) then "shift the graph 4 units in the negative x direction"

is a transformation g(x)\rightarrow g(x+4).g(x) = \ln (-x)

g(x+4) = \ln -(x+4) = \ln (-x -4)

Can you see your mistake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    I asked this question last year,
    The last part is the bit i dont get. How does it go from g(x+4) to g-(x+4) thanks

ReputationRep:
    My question is why is the translation to the right not to the left as its +4 thanks
    reflection in the y-axis takes it to y=ln(-x)

Translation to the right by 4 takes it to y = ln(-(x-4)) = ln(4-x)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The last part is the bit i dont get. How does it go from g(x+4) to g-(x+4) thanks
    It's g[-(x+4)] = g(-x-4)

When you multiply by -1, you have to do it to the whole quantity in the bracket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    It's g[-(x+4)] = g(-x-4)

When you multiply by -1, you have to do it to the whole quantity in the bracket.
    Why dovyou multiply it by -1?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Why dovyou multiply it by -1?
    After the reflection you shifted the graph 4 units to the left, so replace any x with an x+4, so f(-x) becomes f(-(x+4)) which is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    You can do the transformations in which ever order you're most comfortable with but depending on which one you do first the second transformation may be different in each case, you can either see it as a translation by vector (-4 0) followed by a reflection in the y axis OR you can say it is a reflection in the y axis followed by a translation by vector (4 0). Notice that the translations in each case are not the same.
    Either of these are correct.

ReputationRep:
    You start with this:

Let's start with f(x) = \ln x. If you want to do f(x+ 4) then you get f(x+4) = \ln (4 + x) which shifts it to the left. But \ln (4+x) \neq \ln (4-x) (unsurprisingly).

So to get f(x) = \ln (4-x) you need to do two things:

1. f(-x) = \ln (-x) which reflects the graph in the y-axis. This gets you this:

This is your new graph. Let's call it g(x) = \ln (-x). The graph of it is as above. Now you are going to do g(x - 4) = \ln (-(x-4)) = \ln (-x + 4) = \ln (4-x). This will shift the graph to the right by 4 units.

The reason why g(x -4) = \ln (4-x) is because you need to replace the the x in g(x) by x-4.

That is, pretend you have g(x) = \ln (-(x)). Then you need to replace (x) with (x-4).

This gets you f(x-4) = \ln (-(x-4)) = \ln (-x + 4).

If you had \ln x being transformed to \ln 2x then a shift, say f(x) = \ln 2x and you wanted to shift it 3 units to the left you'd do \ln (2(x + 3)) = \ln (2x + 6). Not \ln (2x + 3). Capiche?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You start with this:

Let's start with f(x) = \ln x. If you want to do f(x+ 4) then you get f(x+4) = \ln (4 + x) which shifts it to the left. But \ln (4+x) \neq \ln (4-x) (unsurprisingly).

So to get f(x) = \ln (4-x) you need to do two things:

1. f(-x) = \ln (-x) which reflects the graph in the y-axis. This gets you this:

This is your new graph. Let's call it g(x) = \ln (-x). The graph of it is as above. Now you are going to do g(x - 4) = \ln (-(x-4)) = \ln (-x + 4) = \ln (4-x). This will shift the graph to the right by 4 units.

The reason why g(x -4) = \ln (4-x) is because you need to replace the the x in g(x) by x-4.

That is, pretend you have g(x) = \ln (-(x)). Then you need to replace (x) with (x-4).

This gets you f(x-4) = \ln (-(x-4)) = \ln (-x + 4).

If you had \ln x being transformed to \ln 2x then a shift, say f(x) = \ln 2x and you wanted to shift it 3 units to the left you'd do \ln (2(x + 3)) = \ln (2x + 6). Not \ln (2x + 3). Capiche?
    Ah, okay that does ring a bell. I think I get it now, I will just do more practice to make it stick in my head. Thanks for your very detailed answer. Also, thanks for helping me with mechanics previously, I managed to get 93 ums!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys I get it now, after a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, okay that does ring a bell. I think I get it now, I will just do more practice to make it stick in my head. Thanks for your very detailed answer. Also, thanks for helping me with mechanics previously, I managed to get 93 ums!
    Basically, the best thing to do is to always stick a bracket around (x) in the function when you see it, or at least do so whilst learning about it - you'll get used to it after .

Like shifting \sqrt{2x} by 5 units. Write it as \sqrt{2(x)} then do the shift as \sqrt{2(x +5)}.

(And congratulations on your mechanics! 93 UMS is fantastic. Glad I helped)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Basically, the best thing to do is to always stick a bracket around (x) in the function when you see it, or at least do so whilst learning about it - you'll get used to it after .

Like shifting \sqrt{2x} by 5 units. Write it as \sqrt{2(x)} then do the shift as \sqrt{2(x +5)}.

(And congratulations on your mechanics! 93 UMS is fantastic. Glad I helped)
    Will do, thanks again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.