The Student Room Group

vanderwoodsen's final year blogaroonie extravaganza

Hi all!

So I've decided to write a blog to kind of track my last year at school/sixth form, which promises to be a strange experience. It's odd knowing that tomorrow will be my last day back after summer ever, if that makes sense?

I'd like to write this blog because I think it'll be a good place to track how I'm feeling regarding life and A levels, to motivate me to keep up with revision and uni things and to just talk! I could talk for England, really, I'll go on about nothing forever. In my French AS paper, I chose to write an essay about music, and halfway through I started talking about earthquakes. Oops.

So a bit about me:

GCSEs:

Spoiler

AS levels:

Spoiler

My favourite subject is Philosophy, which I'm hoping to pursue a combined degree in alongside Politics (despite the fact that I'm panicking and worrying about if I should be doing a Creative Writing degree instead - more on that disaster later).

I love music. My favourite band atm are The Stone Roses. Other favourites include New Order, Ultravox and The Cure (can you tell I have family who grew up in the 80s?!)
I really like travelling and reading about other countries and cultures. My favourite ever trip was to Iceland, an absolutely beautiful country, which I would recommend everyone visit if they ever had the chance to. SRQHGlt.jpg <- Picture I took when visiting Eyjafjallojokull.
My dream destination is probably a state like Colorado in the US, with great lakes and the Rockies, or the Italian countryside.

And that's about it folks! I'll be adding to this blog when school starts back up again and I am lovingly pelted with work.
First day back today! And we had an early finish, as expected. It wasn't really a proper school day, it was more of an admin thing. We had a talk from an admissions officer (I think she was?) at a local university who spoke a lot about personal statements. Which reminded me I really need to get on that. It's just soooo much effort, bigging yourself up like that. I'd ought to start it soon so my teachers can redraft it with me. Let me know how yours is going if you're reading this!
Hey, nice start to the blog!

I'll also be starting year 13, and I look forward to reading your upcoming posts! :smile:
I really want to visit Iceland, mainly because there are probably not many spiders or wasps there lmao.
And I haven't started my personal statement yet, but I've been coming up with ideas. Its actually much more difficult than I thought!
Reply 3
OMG Serena??
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Hey, nice start to the blog!

I'll also be starting year 13, and I look forward to reading your upcoming posts! :smile:
I really want to visit Iceland, mainly because there are probably not many spiders or wasps there lmao.
And I haven't started my personal statement yet, but I've been coming up with ideas. Its actually much more difficult than I thought!

Thank you!! Hopefully they will be relatable and perhaps even inspiring for a fellow Year 13 :tongue:

Iceland is amazing, and yeah, definitely a lack of spiders and wasps there. I don't mind a spider but wasps can do one, they're so annoying!

It is really difficult. I wrote a paragraph today and feel like it was absolute rubbish :frown: /I just want them to like meee/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sh9
OMG Serena??

...you know you love me...xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 3 of being back at college and no sign of a personal statement in this gaff. :colondollar:

Wondering if anyone reading this has any experience with deferred entry to uni? I can't disclose why at the minute, but I might be in with a life-changing opportunity that would require me to defer my entry for a year. I'm worried that if I do go to uni a year later it'll be more complicated cause I won't have my college behind me to help me sort everything out, and that I'll be stuck with a bunch of people younger than me, while also feeling way more behind my friends who'll be a year ahead :frown: The opportunity is too good to miss out on though, so I'm at a bit of a loss at what to do. Will a deferred entry put me at a real disadvantage?
I went to see Leeds Uni today! I really liked it. It's a wonderful city with a lot to offer, especially for young people. The campus was lovely as well. I'm a person who really does not like campus unis (bad experience after getting lost at Nottingham...) and who loves a city uni. The lectures for my subject were really interesting, the lecturers were super clever and the departments are both very good quality. However I'm left feeling a bit flat because recently I've realised I'd like to explore both a bit of analytical and continental philosophy, and Leeds seem to really focus on the analytical side. Hm. Will have to see. I reckon it'll be on my UCAS form, but maybe not my firm, if I get an offer! (If my personal statement is ever written...)

We've had a fair bit of homework to start off with, which I'd really ought to get cracking with, it's just been a long day of travelling. In some downtime at Leeds I managed to draft a piece of writing that I started last night, which I'm pleased about! Will hopefully have it all finished with tonight :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest