The Student Room Group

Over 11,000 asylum seekers listed as crime suspects in Austria, in first half of 2016

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Goose
(edited 7 years ago)
The staggering figures were revealed by the Austrian newspaper, Krone, which referenced data received by the right-wing Freedom Party of Austria (FPÖ) from the Ministry of Interior as the result of an information request. The statistics are to be officially published on Tuesday.

This data was 'collected' by the right-wing, anti-immigrant party, FPO, in Austria. It was then passed onto Krone.Your source is therefore unreliable, watch how the FPO considered simply 'entering the country illegally' as a crime specifically to incriminate these immigrants. I took a further look and these crimes range from drugs to being involved in brawls and theft, all of which are committed in mass at a far greater rate by the local population.

This is simply a right-wing spin to gain political ground in Austria by the FPO, which was sadly passed onto the Daily Mail to brainwash its uninformed readers.

For those who don't know, the FPO is basically the Austrian equivalent of AfD or the National Front, and it was originally led by a former SS officer.
(edited 7 years ago)
The truth is they come from a different culture. They likely wont integrate. There are marches in the UK with asians saying sharia law for the UK... they won't benefit society at all. People are too nice. Take back some land that has been attacked and set up living space for them there... don't bring them in and make a mess of our western countries.
Original post by alevelstresss
The staggering figures were revealed by the Austrian newspaper, Krone, which referenced data received by the right-wing Freedom Party of Austria (FPÖ) from the Ministry of Interior as the result of an information request. The statistics are to be officially published on Tuesday.

This data was 'collected' by the right-wing, anti-immigrant party, FPO, in Austria. It was then passed onto Krone.Your source is therefore unreliable, watch how the FPO considered simply 'entering the country illegally' as a crime specifically to incriminate these immigrants. I took a further look and these crimes range from drugs to being involved in brawls and theft, all of which are committed in mass at a far greater rate by the local population.

This is simply a right-wing spin to gain political ground in Austria by the FPO, which was sadly passed onto the Daily Mail to brainwash its uninformed readers.

For those who don't know, the FPO is basically the Austrian equivalent of AfD or the National Front, and it was originally led by a former SS officer.

It is good to see a sane comment in the sea of generalisations, smear campaigns and fabrications.
Original post by UniGoose
It's because they are a different breed of people that have different mindsets.

They should not be allowed to live in the EU unless you want the EU to go backwards.

These people that say "but they are people like us.. they are not all like that.." need to wake up and understand these people were brought up with different beliefs (e.g. women are less), they'll put religion before anything and they are making the streets worse and more dangerous place to live in.

Most young people are against what I'm saying so I expect a lot of disagreement but you cant argue with statistics of an increase in crime can you?

I fully expect more and more people over the next few years to start wanting migrants OUT and I'm sure more countries will end up following Brexit in their own way.

Goose

I agree have you read what Lisa Duffy says on the burqha
Original post by Mathemagicien
If that were so, then all refugees in Austria - more than 11,000 - would be classed as criminals, since they all entered the country illegally. But since the statistics are to be officially published today, we can expect an official response from the government of Austria soon. If the statistics are bad, they'll let us know very soon, since if the statistics are true it would look really bad on them; but at the moment, you have no grounds for assuming it is a fabrication.

Can you provide a source for that? Or are you mixing up rate and raw numbers? I would assume the latter; obviously a far greater number of Austrians commit crime than refugees, because there are far more Austrians in Austria, than there are refugees in Austria.

Yes, the FPO is like UKIP, the AfD, but not quite as nationalist as the National Front.

If you want to find the source, be smart about it and highlight the italic section at the top, right click it and click 'search with google'. The info is there.

And I have perfect grounds for assuming it is a fabrication. The data was obtained by a far-right group with an anti-immigrant agenda, did you get taught about the reliability of sources and bias at GCSE?
Original post by alevelstresss

Entering a country illegally IS a crime, theft IS a crime, brawling IS a crime, drug offences ARE crimes...

Where do you think the line should be drawn?

IMO, it does not matter how desperate these people are, if they are incapable of learning our laws we can't just turn a blind eye... It puts the rest of the population at harm, as we have seen in Germany.
You are right, I should have looked at the source myself, instead of going by your word.

It says: "Die Zahlen stammen aus einer Anfrage der FPÖ an das Innenministerium" which roughly translates to: "The figures come from a request of the FPO to the Interior Ministry". So it doesn't sound like the FPO had the opportunity to cook up the statistics; rather, they simply requested them from the government - not what you claimed.

http://www.krone.at/nachrichten/11158-asylwerber-waren-heuer-tatverdaechtig-die-ersten-zahlen-story-528096

As for googling the italic text, the burden of proof is on you, I'm afraid.

Do you want to know my maths and statistics credentials? It sounds like you (along with most of TSR, tbf), pass maths and english GCSEs and presume that you know everything about bias and statistics, when in reality you are just regurgitating phrases from the textbook, in the wrong context.

maths and statistics are irrelevant here, this is to do with essay subjects such as history and referring to biased sources, and the concepts of bias and source reliability are not taught in maths up to A2

if you're seriously trying to imply that a far-right nationalist, anti-immigrant group has no agenda behind publishing statistics about immigrants, then you're not worth my time
Oh, we're all Year 12 students on TSR, are we? For some of us, the "A-level stresss" is behind us.

You have "an oversimplified, inaccurate, well-hole view of a massively complex issue" (your words from another thread).
Sometimes, just sometimes, knowing what to do with statistics is pretty handy, when dealing with statistics. Dealing with statistics - numbers, proportions, probabilities - isn't like dealing with what historians write about, which is, from what I've seen, often writing about their own opinion, backed up by the opinions of previous historians.

Its one thing for a source to claim that "people were generally supportive of the Crusades", based only on one historian's interpretation of what some aristocracy and clergy are recorded to have said; its another to claim that "precisely 11,158 asylum seekers in Austria have been suspected of committing criminal offences in the first half of 2016", based on the very extensive statistics available to the government of Austria.

God, you are doing it again.

If you feel the need to attack me personally, then its a sign that your argument is hollow and you need to focus on other things to somehow discredit me. I have finished my A-levels, if thats what you're whinging about, but even if I hadn't, so what? Academic strength doesn't make our opinions correct all the time. You're 17 on your profile, so yeah, you've not studied source reliability in maths - I'm not even sure if it exists on any mathematical curriculum apart from the occasional reference skills you'll be taught at university when writing essays.

The rest of your post is irrelevant to what I'm saying, quit changing the topic please. My original point, which you are very eager to ignore, is that the source you used is extremely biased, with an obvious motive, and therefore unreliable.

Focus on that instead of whinging about some useless pride about academics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Did I bring academics up first?

I'm a year ahead, I'll be going to Cambridge to study maths; I've done all the statistics you can do at A-level.

I have not ignored this point; you have simply ignored my reply to it.

Doesn't matter if you didn't bring it up first, you still attacked me because of your hollow, discriminatory argument being exposed.

Statistics at maths GCSE, AS and A2 does not cover source reliability, sorry to burst your bubble.

And your cute little paragraph still doesn't verify the reliability of the information, it was collected by a far right group for a specific purpose - to promote their cause by demonising immigrants. Not to mention the 11,158 figure is suspects and not convicts, the DM obviously grabbed this anti-immigrant story and forgot to include the key details. So quit promoting hatred for immigrants based on unreliable sources, cheers.

I don't expect a response, unless you want to cry about how you getting into a good university gives you the upper hand when it comes to venting hateful criticisms.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending