Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've lost count of the number of linkedin profiles of friends and university peers whose sentences sound clumsy and use complex words they don't quite understand, which creates a bad impression. yes, this includes people with firsts from RG universities in respected subjects.

this in a document that you can spend as long as you want on!

anyone have any views on this? i'd say i spot grammatical errors and sentences that should be reformatted in at least 75% of profiles i read!

before anyone says i haven't used capital letters, this isn't my CV! its an informal online forum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woodchuck)
    i've lost count of the number of linkedin profiles of friends and university peers whose sentences sound clumsy and use complex words they don't quite understand, which creates a bad impression. yes, this includes people with firsts from RG universities in respected subjects.

this in a document that you can spend as long as you want on!

anyone have any views on this? i'd say i spot grammatical errors and sentences that should be reformatted in at least 75% of profiles i read!

before anyone says i haven't used capital letters, this isn't my CV! its an informal online forum!
    If you don't want to apply basic syntax/grammar on your post why are you complaining about people using synonyms for simple words in their Linkin profiles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    If you don't want to apply basic syntax/grammar on your post why are you complaining about people using synonyms for simple words in their Linkin profiles?
    haha! knew i'd come across one, this is an internet forum i suppose. not the sharpest tool!

this forum isn't a job interview, and these posts will not form part of my job applications. needless to say any application or essay i write gets my proper attention to detail.

when you read my post properly, you will see i'm not complaining, merely asking other people for their opinions as to how it impacts upon job prospects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very important imo.

ReputationRep:
    Non negotiable from my experience.

But writing skills go further than accuracy and the proper use of grammar/syntax.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This isn't directed as any type of criticism but I always find it quite bizarre that people make effort to write with correct syntax/grammar/punctuation in one forum but not another. Surely, if you able then you would do it universally by habit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advocatus)
    This isn't directed as any type of criticism but I always find it quite bizarre that people make effort to write with correct syntax/grammar/punctuation in one forum but not another. Surely, if you able then you would do it universally by habit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From experience, in the legal profession, people fall into those who are completely over the top about it in any instance and never turn it off, or those who turn it on and off in the right instances.

I think with the latter it's in part down to the modern world, especially when people are responding quickly to things on small mobile screens and relying on autocorrect. People don't have to care if they know their audience won't either, and so some choose no to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.