Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Will I know in 2 months' time if the uni isn't for me?

ReputationRep:
    My main concern relates to not being able to sufficiently keep up with/do well in the two vastly different subjects that my combined degree will offer. Surely I can only know how I'm doing after first year exams (which take place at the end of the year).

If I realise I'm not suitable for the course, then I want to drop out (preferably before December), make the most of my gap year, and reapply for 2017 entry. What I don't want to do is wait until after first year's over, because by then it'll be too late to apply through UCAS (bar Extra and Clearing).

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    You can drop out any time you like, but the later in the year you drop out, the larger your debt. Unless you finish the year, you will have to repay some or all of your student loans (depending on when you leave) immediately. Not easy if you've already spent it on rent etc.

Only you will know if or when it might be right to leave. All I can say is that going to uni expecting to drop out, is not a wise move. You're not going to give it a chance if you're already planning your escape route.

Are you sure you didn't ought to be deferring, and not going at all this year?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedQueen)
    My main concern relates to not being able to sufficiently keep up with/do well in the two vastly different subjects that my combined degree will offer. Surely I can only know how I'm doing after first year exams (which take place at the end of the year).

If I realise I'm not suitable for the course, then I want to drop out (preferably before December), make the most of my gap year, and reapply for 2017 entry. What I don't want to do is wait until after first year's over, because by then it'll be too late to apply through UCAS (bar Extra and Clearing).
    Simply put, the answer is yes...probably.

Most people will know whether or not they are happy by the end of their first term at University.

Some people will decide to drop out because the lifestyle/environment wasn't what they were expecting or they didn't enjoy it in the same way they thought they would. Perhaps they thought they would really enjoy a lively environment - plenty of party's etc. but they come to find out they actually prefer a quiet relaxed environment to study. The absolute best way to establish whether you are socially and environmentally happy at your chosen Uni is to try EVERYTHING in your first term. Meet as many people as you can, join societies and yes, go to parties, nightclub events, house parties etc. The more you get involved the quicker you will know if you are in the right Uni and the right town. It's okay not to like everything - but if you don't try it you will end up resenting it and that's a recipe for disaster.

As you mentioned - You are worried about the workload being an issue and that it may cause you to drop out. It is true that some people will struggle academically and decide to drop out or change course. You don't have to wait until after your exams in the summer to know this. Chances are you will have done a good few pieces of coursework and possibly an exam or two by Christmas. Use this as a performance benchmark for whether you truly feel you are struggling and if dropping at after the first term is something to consider.

Ultimately remember that 'dropping out' IS NOT a negative thing. It shows that you have the intellectual capacity to assess a situation for what it is and that you have the confidence to acknowledge that you need to make a change rather taking the easy option of continuing something you may either come to hate or fail at.

It's also worth noting that you don't have to lose out on term time either. If you do decide to drop out at Christmas then a few institutions will have January starts. It may be that some time out is necessary to get things in order for September 2017. We offer course intakes in both January and September at the University of Buckingham. Feel free to take a look http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/find-a-c...=Any&level=Any

Best of luck and remember, chances are you will love your course and you will be happy at your chosen University but it's great that you are forward thinking and realistic too.

Jack
    University of Buckingham Team

ReputationRep:
    Mileage will vary but in general people either know within the first few weeks or once the first lot of exam results comes around.

You can also apply via UCAS while you're still at uni, that'll give you a bit of a backup and you can just drop out of your current uni if you decide to switch or you can reject the offer if you want to stay.

ReputationRep:
    You will probably know by December if you can handle it.

ReputationRep:
    University isn't for you since you're already thinking about dropping out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedQueen)

Hello ,

As most have said, plain and simple, yes. I'd definitely wait it out until just before Christmas to see how you feel - two months should be enough to impact your decision on how you feel about university.

What I would say is there, when it comes to studying a course (especially two subjects) there may be modules in that course you don't enjoy and that goes for the majority - you don't have to enjoy every aspect of your course but try not to let a couple of modules affect your decision when the others could be really great.

Use those two months to really make an informed decision!

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I dropped out of uni november ish time, doing a different course starting this sept and I'm so much happier this course will be something I'll enjoy a lot more! A lot of people made out that I was failing/making the wrong choice to drop out so early but you'll know in yourself whether you're happy or not and you don't know until you try!

ReputationRep:
    You won't necessarily know within two months if you're happy in a course or not. I didn't, or maybe I just denied it to myself. Talking to someone at the university could help, a counsellor of some kind maybe? I'm not sure what you would call it, but someone in the student services department.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.