how well do you feel you know your parents ? Watch

campbell87
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think I know my parents quite well, better than some of my friends know their own parents. I think I know my dad alot better than my mum, purely because we talk more and he's more open about things etc. There are a million and one things Id love to ask my mum but its finding the right time to ask, top of the list would be to know about her sister who died at 16.
Hayley_2k4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by louisedotcom)
I dont think I know my parents particually well. I know very little about either of their pasts, what they got up to, things they had done or experienced, places they have been etc.
I 've never asked them about it and to be honest I dont have much of a desire to know. The most I know about them individually is where they grew up I think, and as a couple as far as I know they met at school.
To be fair they had me when they were 18 & 19, and as such probably never really had a chance to live so perhaps they dont have much to tell.

same.
hannah_dru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know my mum really really well cos we share a lot of stuff that bugs us or past events which have come up to bug us again. Despite not having seen my dad for 8 years I'd say I know him pretty well due to the problems he caused for my family.
raspberrybubbles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
they don't know me that well, i don't know them that well. actually on reflection they probably know most things but i know what they hate me doing so i don't tell them that i do those things.
hermaphrodite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
dont know my parents well at all
Anonymous #1
Report 11 years ago
I know my dad more than my mum, I live with both of them. But I feel I don't know my mum that well..it's quite upsetting, honestly I just think my mum doesn't know how to talk to me. She never has ever asked me how my day was or what I got up to. About education she never asks what I got for my results, until maybe when my dad mentions it.
When I started a new job, she never asks how my first day went, and stuff like that. I would be so happy if she did, but we don't have that type of r'ship, I think she doesn't know how to talk to me.

My dad on the other hand talks to me loads, and I know him pretty well, but I think there's a whole different side to him I have never seen like when he's with his friends..but then again he hasn't seen me when I'm out with my friends and in a drunken state lol so I think maybe somethings are better left hidden
yellow96
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know my parents well enough to be able to manipulate them, but not so well that I feel bad about doing so.
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know my mum really well, she's my best friend. I know things about her like what schools she went to, what her best friend was called, what subjects she was best at, what pets she had, what hobbies she had etc...I don't know anything like that about my dad. I also know my mum's personality much better, because she's a lot like me and we have common interests.

I spend a lot more time with my mum, obviously I see my dad every day and we hug goodnight every day and everything, but we don't actually talk much, at all. I'm with my mum pretty much all day in the hols, chilling at home, and we enjoy each other's company so we go out shopping, to the cinema, to lunch together.

I do know my dad's nature and personality - I couldn't not after 18 years of living with him! - but we don't spend much time together and I don't know little things about him like his favourite colour or anything like that, but then again I think it's because there aren't things like that to know about my dad! I don't think he had any hobbies as a kid, or pets (except a goat for milk lol).
something_vague
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know my mum well, she tells me everything which probably isn't really good.

I don't know my dad well at all. I only really started seeing him a few years ago.
Hedger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know them like the back of my hand. A good con artist must know his target :-P
forpolarbears
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know their personalities and who they are now very well (especially my mom) but when she started a story "But things were very different back in the late 70s/80s without the STD concern" I told her to "please, stop now."
no_one_at_all
Report 11 years ago
i know my parents really well my mom is more open. i am closer to my dad but he hides alot of feelings and is generally a more private person.
pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i can't spend more than 15/20 minutes in the same room as my parents. sounds mean, but my mother does my head in. she repeats the same thing over and over again, despite saying the exact same thing 10 seconds earlier.
i don't know, i just feel awkward around them for some reason now. i don't enjoy their company at all. they keep trying to get me to go on holiday with them. no ****ing way.

but i know them well enough that they won't let me leave home until i'm 25, at least, which is unfair. i want to leave now!
ßlαcksωαn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Robin_Hood90)
do you feel you know your parents well ?
hmm some things yes, some things no. It's as though I can't talk to them about EVERYTHING...like there some restrictions so yeah, I guess I don't really know about their lives (upbringing) exactly..
coloursonthetv
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pumpkin7)
but i know them well enough that they won't let me leave home until i'm 25, at least, which is unfair. i want to leave now!
'let'? Forget that, if you want to leave then get yourself in a position where you can.
Somebody
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know stuff about their background (where they lived / went to school etc), and a few random stories about them, but not very well.

I've got to the stage where I just want to get to uni if I'm honest!

Mum normally talks to me about her day, and we can have a good moan together (mainly because I'm the only person I think my mum has to talk to - which I feel really bad for her about!), but with my Dad (who refuses to believe he's deaf!), the conversation will tend to go:

Dad: "So, how was your day?"
Me:"Not too bad. We wen..."
Dad: *cuts in*"Great!" *walks off*

Unfortunately, I don't think I have a great relationship though - we don't argue, but then I've never spoken them about anything deeper than school and work and stuff (nothing like relationships and believes and stuff). Infact, it's got to the stage where it'd be plain awkward if we did now! I'd probably remember I'm busy or something if it arose!

Sorry for the long post - not something many of my friends talk about! (they all have a very good relationship with their parents, and assume everyone else does too...)
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
Up until I was 13 I got on very well with my parents - but always more so with my Dad (my Mum was much the better parent but my Dad was soft and let me get away with things and didn't pressure me about school - stuff I now am thankful my Mum did). My Dad always understood me and we got on really well but he died before I turned 14.
Things have went from bad to worse - my Mum and I became really close, but not in a healthy way. I was the one she spoke to about everything - depression, suicide, being alone struggling to cope with my sisters and became very dependant on me. I became the parent and took on my two younger sisters. I know this sounds selfish but at 14 it was a hell of a lot to handle at times - and so whilst being responsible at home I flipped out at school.
Things are better for my Mum now and she is happy with her bf but we don't get on at all - at 18 she sees me as a child, failing to recognise I grew up a long while back. We don't agree on anything and I am aware a lot of the arguments are my fault because I could just walk away and leave it but my temper gets the better of me, and every conversation we have turns into a full blown row. I can't stand this love/hate relationship I have with her because I can remember when we were all happy and ther are times when we act as if everything is fine and it seems ok - but all it taks is one word to turn.
I have tried so hard to try and fix things but it all came to a head and and well I can no longer live at home, I can't wait for uni. Only on top of everything one of my sisters is going through a teenage rebellion period and my mum is flipping out nd I feel guilty about leaving her to deal with it all.
I have no idea why I am writing all of this but it is good to finally let some of this out - I don't really talk about my problems to mates - those that do know don't know the half of it - I don't feel comfortable talking nor do I wish to burden them with my problems but I just spmetimes feel like screaming. I am such a well - normal happy, bubbly person and try not to let on but is is so dmn hard at times to keep up the facade. I am sorry about the huge rant but needed to do it - thanks to the original OP - I was sat here worrying about all of this and noticed the thread - sorry for lowering the mood though. It would be really helpful if anyone could suggest ways to resolve stuff with my Mum - I hate all of this and know a lot of it is probably my fault. Wow I am still ranting. I think had better leave it at this. thanks for listening.
Zizi3
Report 11 years ago
My mom and I are best friends. We tell each other almost everything. She's so much fun to be with; we're never bored when we're together. My dad and I are very close as well, though we tend to argue a bit. I can have philosophical discussions with him that I can’t have with my mom, though. She doesn’t like that stuff and gets bored really quickly. She like to live life rather than talk about it, while my dad and I are a bit more analytical. We really understand each other very well. I’d say that I’m VERY close to my parents - and I like it that way.

To the person above:
I just wanted to say that you were very brave for supporting your mom through such a difficult time. I hope that things will start to look up for you once you’re away at uni - a little distance can sometimes be a very good thing.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Zizi3)
My mom and I are best friends. We tell each other almost everything. She's so much fun to be with; we're never bored when we're together. My dad and I are very close as well, though we tend to argue a bit. I can have philosophical discussions with him that I can’t have with my mom, though. She doesn’t like that stuff and gets bored really quickly. She like to live life rather than talk about it, while my dad and I are a bit more analytical. We really understand each other very well. I’d say that I’m VERY close to my parents - and I like it that way.

To the person above:
I just wanted to say that you were very brave for supporting your mom through such a difficult time. I hope that things will start to look up for you once you’re away at uni - a little distance can sometimes be a very good thing.
Thanks - and yeah I am hoping that will be the case. I wasn't brave though - you just do anything you can for family and friends and believe me I don't do enough at home - I seriously need to get a grip on my temper (though I don't have a problem with it usually - just with my Mum)
Fye
Report 11 years ago
I think I know my parents pretty well although I hardly speak to them. My mom likes to joke around with me, and my dad only communicates with me when he needs me to translate whats being said in the mails he receives (Doesn't understand English), which makes me talk to him even less. Being the oldest out of 3 siblings, I'm probably their least favorite anyways :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (30)
55.56%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (8)
14.81%

Watched Threads