Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teachers trying make me take a subject I don't want or need! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I applied to take latin this year along side some other GCSEs and when I went to collect my timetable today I realised it wasn't on there. After enquiring about it, I discovered that I was the only student who applied for Latin, this meaning it was no longer an option. Just then they told me they were going replace it with French.

I love and know Latin, while I hate and know very little French.

I spoke to the head of languages about it and he said, as I already have 5 GCSEs and are taking 4 other GCSEs this year, I wouldn't need French as I have good grades and a wide variety in my qualifications.

However they're still trying make me take French and as I'm a college student (studied GCSEs at college at 14 till now) surely it's my choice?

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would try to tell your teacher how much you don't want to take French. In the end it's your choose, just make sure you are respectful. it's a shame you can't take the subject you want, but the teachers are only trying to help. you could also try to talk to your parents and see if they can help.
    I hope it all works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immy333)
    If I was you I would try to tell your teacher how much you don't want to take French. In the end it's your choose, just make sure you are respectful. it's a shame you can't take the subject you want, but the teachers are only trying to help. you could also try to talk to your parents and see if they can help.
    I hope it all works out for you.
    I have asked them if there's a chance I could drop it or swap it, but they feel that I'm capable so they don't see the issue. I just know if I take it, I won't pass. I'd try my hardest if they do make me take it, but fear for the results. Thanks for the advice, I'll follow what you say and try and sort this situation in a respectful and polite way

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they're making you do it, sounds like they're just trying to fill your timetable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    I don't see why they're making you do it, sounds like they're just trying to fill your timetable
    I think so as I'm taking 4 when you can take up to 5 (IE. the French) but my friend is taking 3, so don't know why they want me to...

ReputationRep:
    Don't try too hard. If the college force you to take it don't waste valuable time that could be spent working on something else, studying a subject you don't want to do. Try it and if you enjoy it, brilliant. If not don't beat yourself up about it. When they see you're really not interested they'll let you drop it. No point in entering you for an exam you're clearly going to fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collegeisbae)
    I think so as I'm taking 4 when you can take up to 5 (IE. the French) but my friend is taking 3, so don't know why they want me to...
    Make it clear to college you won't be attending the lessons as it would be a waste of your time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    They can't force you to take a subject you don't want to take. Make it clear that you don't want to take it and if there are any issues take it to the head. You signed up for Latin. If you'd wanted to do French you'd have signed up to French.

As others have said it feels like they're just trying to fill a timetable (because it looks good for their numbers) and offer you an alternative but don't let them pressure you into it if you aren't interested.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.