The Student Room Group

Personal statement help?

I'm currently moving to year 13 and I don't know how to write a personal statement. I've always struggled with writing and i don't know how i'm going to write about myself to the quality that universities expect.
Not only this, but i don't feel like i have enough to write about myself.
How do you recommend i go about this? Should i just make up lies like everyone else does on their personal statement? (I really don't want to do this because i have a strong hate for anyone who lies about anything)

P.S: I've tried the 'personal statement builder' on here, it doesn't work for me, doesn't actually help you write it, just gives you a template.
Original post by lw8
I'm currently moving to year 13 and I don't know how to write a personal statement. I've always struggled with writing and i don't know how i'm going to write about myself to the quality that universities expect.
Not only this, but i don't feel like i have enough to write about myself.
How do you recommend i go about this? Should i just make up lies like everyone else does on their personal statement? (I really don't want to do this because i have a strong hate for anyone who lies about anything)

P.S: I've tried the 'personal statement builder' on here, it doesn't work for me, doesn't actually help you write it, just gives you a template.

Hi there! We wrote an article on this recently that might be useful. You can read it here.

It's bringing together a load of advice from admissions tutors around the country. Hope it helps :biggrin:
Original post by Professor Oak
Hi there! We wrote an article on this recently that might be useful. You can read it here.

It's bringing together a load of advice from admissions tutors around the country. Hope it helps :biggrin:

I've been through this article and only a couple of the points apply to me, would be a great article if i was the perfect applicant :biggrin:
There's also the PS building tool in my signature below :smile:
Original post by *Interrobang*
There's also the PS building tool in my signature below :smile:

Yeah that doesn't help me really. I'm someone that has no experience writing anything like this, and I'm struggling to fill in even 1 of the boxes on the PS building tool.
Well that's the main advice that can be given to start you off. No one else would have any experience writing this sort of statement, so everyone is in the same position. The thing to do is to make notes on why the subject interests you and what you've done to show this interest, then start writing. It's likely to take several drafts to get it right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending