Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently moving to year 13 and I don't know how to write a personal statement. I've always struggled with writing and i don't know how i'm going to write about myself to the quality that universities expect.
    Not only this, but i don't feel like i have enough to write about myself.
    How do you recommend i go about this? Should i just make up lies like everyone else does on their personal statement? (I really don't want to do this because i have a strong hate for anyone who lies about anything)

P.S: I've tried the 'personal statement builder' on here, it doesn't work for me, doesn't actually help you write it, just gives you a template.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by lw8)
    I'm currently moving to year 13 and I don't know how to write a personal statement. I've always struggled with writing and i don't know how i'm going to write about myself to the quality that universities expect.
    Not only this, but i don't feel like i have enough to write about myself.
    How do you recommend i go about this? Should i just make up lies like everyone else does on their personal statement? (I really don't want to do this because i have a strong hate for anyone who lies about anything)

P.S: I've tried the 'personal statement builder' on here, it doesn't work for me, doesn't actually help you write it, just gives you a template.
    Hi there! We wrote an article on this recently that might be useful. You can read it here.

It's bringing together a load of advice from admissions tutors around the country. Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Oak)
    Hi there! We wrote an article on this recently that might be useful. You can read it here.

It's bringing together a load of advice from admissions tutors around the country. Hope it helps
    I've been through this article and only a couple of the points apply to me, would be a great article if i was the perfect applicant
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    There's also the PS building tool in my signature below

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    There's also the PS building tool in my signature below
    Yeah that doesn't help me really. I'm someone that has no experience writing anything like this, and I'm struggling to fill in even 1 of the boxes on the PS building tool.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Well that's the main advice that can be given to start you off. No one else would have any experience writing this sort of statement, so everyone is in the same position. The thing to do is to make notes on why the subject interests you and what you've done to show this interest, then start writing. It's likely to take several drafts to get it right

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.