Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i'm 19, came out with unexpected grades this year and planning to do an access course or apprenticeship in order to get into my chosen university next year. However, these do not make me eligible for a student loan. I'm desperate to move out and feel like my lack of independence from living at home is effecting my motivation and getting me down.
    My question is, is it possible to be able to move out without a student loan and if so, can anyone provide me with some advice?
    I am based in Newcastle.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    How do you plan on supporting yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    How do you plan on supporting yourself?
    I want to get a job with more hours, as I currently only work weekends. However, I'm not sure on how much money I'd need to live on as I've never had to fully support myself before. I don't know whether it's possible to do it on a job alone? I also have some money in savings but I want to keep as much of that as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosal1385)
    My question is, is it possible to be able to move out without a student loan and if so, can anyone provide me with some advice?
    I am based in Newcastle.
    That simple answer is yes. You are an adult now. You can do as you please. The rub though is that you will need to support yourself so will need to work out how much money you are going to earn and how much it will cost to live. If the former is less than the later, you might be better off staying put and finding a way to deal with the claustrophobia.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    It is very tough living independently if you don't have the money in place to support you. *What kind of accomodation are you looking at gettting? Are you sharing with friends or in a bed sit? *How much rent will you have to pay? That and food is the essential costs. Do a budget and see if you can afford to go alone. It is possible with jobs but it will be tough.*

ReputationRep:
    i'm 19, came out with unexpected grades this year and planning to do an access course or apprenticeship in order to get into my chosen university next year. However, these do not make me eligible for a student loan. I'm desperate to move out and feel like my lack of independence from living at home is effecting my motivation and getting me down.
    I am based in Newcastle.
    It would imagine it would be difficult, although a lot depends on how much you'd be earning vs the cost of rent. If you really want to move out, look at foundation years, then you can get a maintainance loan. Also an apprenticeship is not designed as a stepping stone to university.

ReputationRep:
    I want to get a job with more hours, as I currently only work weekends. However, I'm not sure on how much money I'd need to live on as I've never had to fully support myself before. I don't know whether it's possible to do it on a job alone? I also have some money in savings but I want to keep as much of that as possible
    to be honest, for the sake of a year, it's probably not worth it...

You would need to be working full time in the sort of job you can get with little qualifications at 19 to be able to afford to live independently and even then money could be really tight... have a look on some property websites for your area and see what normal rent prices will be, then add on £100 a month for food, £75 for council tax, £100 at least for bills - then add on any additional costs you might have e.g. transport, phone etc

you'll need a reasonable amount of spare money left over or you could be in trouble if you have any sudden costs come up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.