Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, recently I've decided I want to become a secondary teacher through the PGDE route and I've managed to somehow confuse myself about finance/funding and application.

So, I live in Northern Ireland and hold a dual citizenship but use an Irish passport. I'm currently doing a history degree in London but I want to apply to do a PGDE in secondary teaching in a Glasgow university. I've seen that there is reduced fee's for anyone who is Scottish or an EU national - Does that mean I will only have to pay the £1820 instead of the £9000 because I have an Irish Passport?

Also,when applying for funding/loans etc Student finance NI covered my fees for the London University and I'm wondering if I apply to them to cover the PGDE fees or do I apply to the likes of SAAS??

Haha, I'm so confused! Does anyone else have the same or similar issue?

Bottom line - Irish resident, currently living in London studying degree but wants to move to Glasgow and isn't sure of what funding & finance is available!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzydripping152)
    1) I've seen that there is reduced fee's for anyone who is Scottish or an EU national - Does that mean I will only have to pay the £1820 instead of the £9000 because I have an Irish Passport?

Also,when applying for funding/loans etc Student finance NI covered my fees for the London University and I'm wondering if I apply to them to cover the PGDE fees or do I apply to the likes of SAAS??
    Check with the Uni that your dual nationality does not cancel this out, or that actually its where you have lived for the last x number of years that defines you - if you have lived in London for the last 3 years they may actually define you as from England.

Postgrad is funded differently to undergrad. You will need to check what, if any, funding for postgraduate teaching training is available with Student Finance NI (and where they consider your residency is).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. Although surely living in London for three years wouldn't be enough to knock it off? I've never had a full time job in London and I spend a month back in Ireland from December to January, not to mention from early April to the end of September. So, really, I only live there 6 months of the year because I still have my address in Ireland (where my parents live!) Will definitely research more into it though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.