Going back to college. Watch

schutz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi, well im 19 now and after several unsuccessful attempts at college (due to laziness on my part) the most i managed to achive was a national award in IT but i dropped out of 2 other courses but that was in the past, im now a different person but now the age thing is bothering me. I understand that im still young but also a little bit older than most pupils enrolling into college but there were many 19 year olds in my class although i still would feel singled out, anyway thats just the start of my problems. Im fed up of doing crappy BTEC courses especially IT as i do not want to be stuck with my main choice in uni being computers as although i am very good with all aspects of computing they bore me to death, i want to do actual A-Levels as i find BTEC courses to be a joke. Here is another slight dilemma on my part, choosing which A-Levels....although i have a rough idea of some i wish to take im very unsure and want to know which would A-Levels would be the "easiest" route into university(or as an R.A.F officer but disregard that for the time being)one thing i want to do is definitely Psychology but the other three i am having a hard time choosing, can anyone recommend three good subjects that arent to hard as at 19 im a bit fed up to be back into education and with the few years gap my brain activity isnt as strong as it was when i first started college i dont really have any weak points with subjects and fair well with practically all academic studies, any advice greatly appreciated.
TG777
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can't go wrong with core subjects. However they aren't a walk in the park. Depends on what you enjoy, go on your college website and check out there courses, they give quite a detailed description of the course aswell.

- Psychology
- English Lit
- Biology

(I assume your doing 3 not 4?)
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
First of all, you really shouldn't worry about your age gap. 19 is far from old and colleges cater for students of all ages anyway. I bet no one will even know how old you are unless you tell them. As for which A-levels to do, none are easy, so the best advice is just to choose the ones you'll enjoy most so you'll be more motivated to work hard at them. Which subjects did you enjoy most and do best in at GCSE? If you know which course you want to do at uni, check the entry requirements to see what A-levels you need, if any.
schutz
Rep:
?
(Original post by MR 51NGH)
(I assume your doing 3 not 4?)
Well im under the assumption that the majority of people do 4 at AS and 3 at A2, am i right? not to sure as ive only ever done BTEC courses. And Kelly, its to hard to choose a uni course :p: theres to many that i feel suit me so i guess i should wait til the dates nearer, still unsure at what to do at A-Level as nothing really interests me which is why i want to opt for the easiest A-Levels. My GCSE results were quite poor although i was in top sets and was predicated A's to B's for most subjects, i struggled to get C's in just a few. I was very lazy and didnt care back then though the same with the first few attempts at college albeit i was younger and a bit more juvenile in my understanding of the future, well im older now and think i could get back down to business if i tried. Ive heard general studies is "a piece of piss" but is that one of the subjects to avoid?
vv2006
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
I think you should go for it regardless of age. My sisters in the same position as you and she's 21.

However, you may have to be with adult learners as the sixth form centre usually takes 16-19.
schutz
Rep:
?
I think i should be ok at 19 to be in a normal class at A-Level, had 19 year olds in most my classes ive been in although in another i had a 28 year old and my friend had a 83 year old man
Vesta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You say you're good at IT, why not do IT A-Level? Although you said it bores you, so maybe not..
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by schutz)
Well im under the assumption that the majority of people do 4 at AS and 3 at A2, am i right? not to sure as ive only ever done BTEC courses. And Kelly, its to hard to choose a uni course :p: theres to many that i feel suit me so i guess i should wait til the dates nearer, still unsure at what to do at A-Level as nothing really interests me which is why i want to opt for the easiest A-Levels. My GCSE results were quite poor although i was in top sets and was predicated A's to B's for most subjects, i struggled to get C's in just a few. I was very lazy and didnt care back then though the same with the first few attempts at college albeit i was younger and a bit more juvenile in my understanding of the future, well im older now and think i could get back down to business if i tried. Ive heard general studies is "a piece of piss" but is that one of the subjects to avoid?
Yeah, 4 subjects at AS and 3 at A2 is the norm. But why do you want to do A-levels and go to uni at all if nothing interests you and you're just looking for an easy option? You don't have to go down that route and you might be better off getting a job, doing an apprenticeship or joining the RAF, which you said you were considering in your first post. Anyway, General Studies isn't accepted by the majority of decent unis, so it depends where you want to go. If you have any idea, you could look at the prospectus or website to see if it's accepted.
schutz
Rep:
?
Sorry i should have been a bit more clear, i do want to go to uni and some things do interest me alot, e.g. psychology and on a further end of the spectrum i wouldnt mind doing a Arboriculture degree or any science related subjects are there the only ones that truly intrest me to some degree. Its just a fair ammount to choose from and its hard to make your mind up
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by schutz)
Sorry i should have been a bit more clear, i do want to go to uni and some things do interest me alot, e.g. psychology and on a further end of the spectrum i wouldnt mind doing a Arboriculture degree or any science related subjects are there the only ones that truly intrest me to some degree. Its just a fair ammount to choose from and its hard to make your mind up
Well, I'd suggest taking the sciences if that's all that really interests you, but if you do, I think it's safe to say you can kiss your 'easiest A-levels' idea goodbye :p:
Mitch87
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Haha, indeed you can kiss your "easy A-levels" au revoir if you take the Sciences. However, everyone knows they're the most worthwhile! Just kidding! But, if thats what really interests you, then you should go for it! You say you're fed up with BTEC courses etc, then if you're going to go bak to college you may as well study something you have an interest in! If you're into computers, perhaps you should consider Computing instead of IT, and if you're up to the challenge (and providing your already ok at it....) you should do Maths - it compliments Computing well and is one of the best A-levels to have.
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Regarding the age, don’t worry about it. You’re still young at 19 and have your whole life ahead of you. You shouldn’t worry about re-starting and going off to do A-Levels. It’s vital, to make the best of it that you can, that you don’t go with this worried attitude. People really won’t care that you’re a bit older.
I’m in a similar situation myself, I’ll be starting at 18 although within a month or two of starting will be 19.

Regarding the subjects, the best you can do is choose subjects which you enjoy – or think you will enjoy – and not simply go for whichever are perceived as the easiest. You should also think about which subjects would be best for you to follow your chosen path afterwards (university/career).
Also, you’ll be older and more mature, and while it may seem a pain to still be in education at 19 – and seeing as I’ll be in the same situation, I know exactly what you mean – you’ll realise later on in the future that you made the right choice and won’t care about having been two years behind, so to speak.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (34)
97.14%
No (1)
2.86%

Watched Threads