LDS's mission to A*AA and a place at med school

ReputationRep:
    :hello:Hello everyone! :hello:

So I've decided, after being inspired by multiple threads from other bloggers, to create my own blog about my A levels and my journey into medical school. In a week, I'll be going into year 12 and I want to take every opportunity to achieve the highest grades possible. For me, A*AA is the minimum, not only because most medical schools that I'm looking into (mostly Russell group) will not accept any less (apart from few that accept AAA, but even they state that most of their offers are A*AA), but also because I feel that I'll be unhappy in myself with anything less. In an ideal world I'd get A*A*A*, but let's just stick to the real world for now

So what will I be posting?
    I don't know exactly how I'm going to structure this blog yet, but I'm aiming to update it at least once a week, posting academic information such as studying and revision methods that I find useful, as well as other things related to medical school such as work experience and interesting books on the subject. By doing this, I hope that I'll create a place with concise and useful information that I and anyone else can use either as a source of inspiration, guidance for study help, or to get a better idea of what it might take to get into medical school and to achieve what you want (all going well ).

GCSE Results
    GCSEs can be a big part of the deciding process for universities when applying to med school, some more so than others (Oxford, for example). I felt that I studied effectively and put a lot of work in for GCSEs, and that overall my GCSEs are quite strong for most non-GCSE heavy med schools. The only grades I'm a little disappointed in are Sociology and English Language, because the exams seemed to go well and I was predicted an A* in both. One thing I'm learning though is that not everything goes to plan- I'm doing my best to accept these grades and focus on my better grades My grades are as follows:

Maths: A
    Statistics: A
    Further Maths: B
    English Language: B
    English Literature: A
    Art & Design: A*
    Biology: A*
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A* (REMARKED!!!)
    Religious Studies: A*
    Sociology: B

-5A*s, 3As & 3Bs

A Levels
    Chemistry is essential for medicine, and depending on the medical school you're looking at the second choice is normally either Biology, Physics or Maths. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy Physics or Maths that much, so I'm not continuing either of them to A level. Three A levels is definitely enough, I'm also thinking of doing an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) in year 13. We shall see! My advice to anyone thinking about A level choices in medicine is to think of which universities you want to apply to, and check their entry requirements. There are lots of helpful people on TSR (like me :fan: ) and if you emailed an admissions officer I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.

For A levels I'm doing Chemistry, Biology and Psychology, all with the new linear system and with AQA. I'll post some predictions when I have them!

Work Experience
    This is also important- not only so that med schools can see you've had some experience in the field and aren't completely new to things, but also so you yourself can evaluate your own possible aptitude and enjoyment for medicine. Volunteering can also feel quite rewarding and fulfilling

I am currently volunteering at a local hospice, helping out with different areas but mainly the In Patient Unit. They also offer work experience programmes specifically for medical school, so if in a few months I could take part in that, that would be great

Anyway, thank you for reading through all of that, and thank you to everyone for being supportive
    Feel free to follow me on my journey, make any suggestions, comments or ask me anything- I'll always try to help the best I can.

I can tag people in each post if they're interested, just let me know!Posts

-#1 Books related to medicine (08/09/16)
    -#2 College life! (19/09/16)
    -#3 Keeping a medical journal and a very welcome email (27/09/16)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    So I've decided, after being inspired by multiple threads from other bloggers, to create my own blog about my A levels and my journey into medical school. In a week, I'll be going into year 12 and I want to take every opportunity to achieve the highest grades possible. For me, A*AA is the minimum, not only because most medical schools will not accept any less (apart from few that accept AAA, but even they state that most of their offers are A*AA), but also because I feel that I'll be unhappy in myself with anything less. In an ideal world I'd get A*A*A*, but let's just stick to the real world for now
    I don't know exactly how I'm going to structure this blog yet, but I'm aiming to update it at least once a week, posting academic information such as studying and revision methods that I find useful, as well as other things related to medical school such as work experience and interesting books on the subject. By doing this, I hope that I'll create a place with concise and useful information that I and anyone else can use either as a source of inspiration, guidance for study help, or to get a better idea of what it might take to get into medical school and to achieve what you want (all going well ).

GCSE Results
    GCSEs can be a big part of the deciding process for universities when applying to med school, some more so than others (Oxford, for example). I felt that I studied effectively and put a lot of work in for GCSEs, and that overall my GCSEs are quite strong for most non-GCSE heavy med schools. The only grades I'm a little disappointed in are Sociology and English Language, because the exams seemed to go well and I was predicted an A* in both. One thing I'm learning though is that not everything goes to plan- I'm doing my best to accept these grades and focus on my better grades My grades are as follows:
    Physics: A
    -4A*s, 4As & 3Bs
    A Levels
    Chemistry is essential for medicine, and depending on the medical school you're looking at the second choice is normally either Biology, Physics or Maths. Unfortunately, I don't enjoy Physics or Maths that much, so I'm not continuing either of them to A level. Three A levels is definitely enough, I'm also thinking of doing an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) in year 13. We shall see! My advice to anyone thinking about A level choices in medicine is to think of which universities you want to apply to, and check their entry requirements. There are lots of helpful people on TSR (like me :fan: ) and if you emailed an admissions officer I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help.
    For A levels I'm doing Chemistry, Biology and Psychology, all with the new linear system and with AQA. I'll post some predictions when I have them!
    Work Experience
    This is also important- not only so that med schools can see you've had some experience in the field and aren't completely new to things, but also so you yourself can evaluate your own possible aptitude and enjoyment for medicine. Volunteering can also feel quite rewarding and fulfilling
    I am currently volunteering at a local hospice, helping out with different areas but mainly the In Patient Unit. They also offer work experience programmes specifically for medical school, so if in a few months I could take part in that, that would be great
    Anyway, thank you for reading through all of that, and thank you to everyone for being supportive
    Feel free to follow me on my journey, make any suggestions, comments or ask me anything- I'll always try to help the best I can.
    I can tag people in each post if they're interested, just let me know!
    WOOP :excited: GO LDS:woo::rave: You got this! Deffo subbed, can't wait to see what you get up to :yep:I wish you ever success! :yy: The best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

Little confused though, the majority of med schools have AAA offers not A*AA .. Or am I mistaken?

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    WOOP :excited:GO LDS:woo::rave: You got this! Deffo subbed, can't wait to see what you get up to :yep:I wish you ever success! :yy: The best of luck!
    THANKS CHEESE!! Your support means a lot I'll also be interested to see how this pans out

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck I hope your hard work and motivation pays off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    THANKS CHEESE!! Your support means a lot I'll also be interested to see how this pans out
    No problemo aww it's all good m8 :yep:
    Hehehe it will be indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soLit)
    Good luck!

Little confused though, the majority of med schools have AAA offers not A*AA .. Or am I mistaken?

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf
    Thank you!

I think you're right, I think I got confused with the Russel group universities and their offers.. I'll edit that now. Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Thank you!

I think you're right, I think I got confused with the Russel group universities and their offers.. I'll edit that now. Thanks so much!
    OK, I understand, but aim for your highest! I hope you get A*A*A*!!!

I sent you a quick PM, I might be able to help you on your way to uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Best of luck I hope your hard work and motivation pays off
    Thank you, I appreciate it a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soLit)
    OK, I understand, but aim for your highest! I hope you get A*A*A*!!!

I sent you a quick PM, I might be able to help you on your way to uni!
    Indeed, I'll always try to get the best grade possible Thank you very much!

Thanks, I'll take a look now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)

So I've decided, after being inspired by multiple threads from other bloggers, to create my own blog about my A levels and my journey into medical school. In a week, I'll be going into year 12 and I want to take every opportunity to achieve the highest grades possible. For me, A*AA is the minimum, not only because most medical schools that I'm looking into (mostly Russell group) will not accept any less (apart from few that accept AAA, but even they state that most of their offers are A*AA), but also because I feel that I'll be unhappy in myself with anything less. In an ideal world I'd get A*A*A*, but let's just stick to the real world for now

GCSE Results

Physics: A

-4A*s, 4As & 3Bs

A Levels

Work Experience

I can tag people in each post if they're interested, just let me know!
    Sorry I don't have time to reply properly atm, I had my first day today, and I need to revise for an algebra test tomorrow Wish me luck!

But yeah, sure, tag me on each post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamza772000)
    Sorry I don't have time to reply properly atm, I had my first day today, and I need to revise for an algebra test tomorrow Wish me luck!

But yeah, sure, tag me on each post
    Hey, that's fine
    Hope your day went well!!
    Good luck for your test
    I hope I don't have tests as soon as I start! :rofl:

Will do

Sounds rather interesting :awesome:
    I'm always interested by such stuff Keep tagging me :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    Sounds rather interesting :awesome:
    I'm always interested by such stuff Keep tagging me :woo:
    Thank you!
    I'll make sure to tag you, will probably post something about books related to medicine soon, seeing as I don't start college until next week!

ReputationRep:
    good luck m8 you're on the right track

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoda123)
    good luck m8 you're on the right track
    Thank you
    Sorry I forgot to tag you in the OP, I can add you to future posts though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Thank you
    Sorry I forgot to tag you in the OP, I can add you to future posts though?
    no worries
    yes, please do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoda123)
    no worries
    yes, please do!

I don't start college until next week though, so not sure what I'll be posting until then

ReputationRep:
    Post #1-Books related to medicine (08/09/16)

With a few days still left to go until I start college, I thought I'd write a post about medical books. Not the 600-page-thick medical books used mainly for reference and teaching, but the ones which can give you a detailed insight into certain areas of the medical field. From unique case studies to reading books written by people who deal with medical conditions in their own distinct way day-to-day, these books can give you some knowledge into different types of medicine, treatments and conditions- and more importantly, make an interesting read!

Having recently bought six books related to medicine, I thought I'd plug them in here for anyone who wants to look at them. Once I've finished reading them, perhaps I can write a review about the books

One book I read a few years ago was "Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the 21st Century", written by Lauren Slater.
    In this book, Slater describes in detail ten psychological experiments, which all helped to dramatically influence the world of psychology and psychiatry in how it is today. From B.F. Skinner to Stanley Milgram, the experiments explore behaviour, obedience, violence, and how much things like morality can be changed and twisted. Written like a story, the experiments are gone into at detail and told through the eyes of Lauren Slater. Personally, I found the book very interesting to read. Slater writes in quite a unique way, which makes the book more enjoyable whilst still being accurate and informative. Also, as I'm taking Psychology A level, the experiments mentioned will no doubt help me understand both the reasons why they were carried out and the effects some of the experiments had on its audience and participators.

There are questions about the credibility of some of the author's interviews with various psychologists, but the book still makes for an interesting read with detailed accounts of the experiments Books I'm currently reading
    Here is the list of the six books I'm currently reading (all bought on Amazon at very low prices, £2-3 ), with a short blurb description and link. Enjoy

Lying: A Metaphorical Memoir- Lauren Slater
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Slater examines memories of her youth, when after being diagnosed with a strange illness she developed seizures and neurological disturbances-and the compulsion to lie. Openly questioning the reliability of memoir itself, Slater presents the mesmerising story of a young woman who discovers not only what plagues her but also what cures her-the birth of her sensuality, her creativity as an artist, and storytelling as an act of healing."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lying-Metap...+Lauren+Slater
    Stiff- Mary Roach
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "What happens to your body after you have died? Fertiliser? Crash Test Dummy? Human Dumpling? Ballistics Practise? Life after death is not as simple as it looks. Mary Roach's Stiff lifts the lid off what happens to our bodies once we have died. Bold, original and with a delightful eye for detail, Roach tells us everything we wanted to know about this new frontier in medical science."Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stiff-Curio...iff+mary+roach
    Hallucinations- Oliver Sacks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Dr Oliver Sacks weaves together stories of his patients and of his own mind-altering experiences to illuminate what hallucinations tell us about the organisation and structure of our brains, how they have influenced every culture's folklore and art, and why the potential for hallucination is present in us all, a vital part of the human condition."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hallucinati...-+Oliver+Sacks
    The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat- Oliver Sacks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "These are case studies of people who have lost their memories and with them the greater part of their pasts; who are no longer able to recognise people or common objects; whose limbs have become alien; who are afflicted and yet are gifted with uncanny artistic or mathematical talents. In Dr Sacks’s splendid and sympathetic telling, each tale is a unique and deeply human study of life struggling against incredible adversity."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Mis...-+Oliver+Sacks
    Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (and other stories from the crematorium)- Caitlin Doughty
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "From her first day at Westwind Cremation & Burial, twenty-three-year-old Caitlin Doughty threw herself into her curious new profession. Coming face-to-face with the very thing we go to great lengths to avoid thinking about she started to wonder about the lives of those she cremated and the mourning families they left behind, and found herself confounded by people's erratic reactions to death. Exploring our death rituals - and those of other cultures - she pleads the case for healthier attitudes around death and dying."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoke-Gets-...aitlin+Doughty
    Elephants On Acid, and Other Bizarre Experiments- Alex Boese
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Have you ever wondered if a severed head retains consciousness long enough to see what happened to it? Or whether your dog would run to fetch help, if you fell down a disused mineshaft? And what would happen if you were to give an elephant the largest ever single dose of LSD? The chances are that someone, somewhere has conducted a scientific experiment to find out..."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elephants-A...ts-+Alex+Boese
    Yes, most of them are about different areas of psychology, or about dead bodies and how they're treated and dealt with, but that's what interests me I'm sure there are many books on genetic disorders, cardiovascular complications and lots of other specialities

Thanks for taking the time to read through this, and as always, your support means a lot! :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Post #1-Books related to medicine (08/09/16)

With a few days still left to go until I start college, I thought I'd write a post about medical books. Not the 600-page-thick medical books used mainly for reference and teaching, but the ones which can give you a detailed insight into certain areas of the medical field. From unique case studies to reading books written by people who deal with medical conditions in their own distinct way day-to-day, these books can give you some knowledge into different types of medicine, treatments and conditions- and more importantly, make an interesting read!

Having recently bought six books related to medicine, I thought I'd plug them in here for anyone who wants to look at them. Once I've finished reading them, perhaps I can write a review about the books

One book I read a few years ago was "Opening Skinner's Box: Great Psychological Experiments of the 21st Century", written by Lauren Slater.
    In this book, Slater describes in detail ten psychological experiments, which all helped to dramatically influence the world of psychology and psychiatry in how it is today. From B.F. Skinner to Stanley Milgram, the experiments explore behaviour, obedience, violence, and how much things like morality can be changed and twisted. Written like a story, the experiments are gone into at detail and told through the eyes of Lauren Slater. Personally, I found the book very interesting to read. Slater writes in quite a unique way, which makes the book more enjoyable whilst still being accurate and informative. Also, as I'm taking Psychology A level, the experiments mentioned will no doubt help me understand both the reasons why they were carried out and the effects some of the experiments had on its audience and participators.

There are questions about the credibility of some of the author's interviews with various psychologists, but the book still makes for an interesting read with detailed accounts of the experiments
    Books I'm currently reading
    Here is the list of the six books I'm currently reading (all bought on Amazon at very low prices, £2-3 ), with a short blurb description and link. Enjoy

Lying: A Metaphorical Memoir- Lauren Slater
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Slater examines memories of her youth, when after being diagnosed with a strange illness she developed seizures and neurological disturbances-and the compulsion to lie. Openly questioning the reliability of memoir itself, Slater presents the mesmerising story of a young woman who discovers not only what plagues her but also what cures her-the birth of her sensuality, her creativity as an artist, and storytelling as an act of healing."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lying-Metap...+Lauren+Slater
    Stiff- Mary Roach
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "What happens to your body after you have died? Fertiliser? Crash Test Dummy? Human Dumpling? Ballistics Practise? Life after death is not as simple as it looks. Mary Roach's Stiff lifts the lid off what happens to our bodies once we have died. Bold, original and with a delightful eye for detail, Roach tells us everything we wanted to know about this new frontier in medical science."Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stiff-Curio...iff+mary+roach
    Hallucinations- Oliver Sacks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Dr Oliver Sacks weaves together stories of his patients and of his own mind-altering experiences to illuminate what hallucinations tell us about the organisation and structure of our brains, how they have influenced every culture's folklore and art, and why the potential for hallucination is present in us all, a vital part of the human condition."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hallucinati...-+Oliver+Sacks
    The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat- Oliver Sacks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "These are case studies of people who have lost their memories and with them the greater part of their pasts; who are no longer able to recognise people or common objects; whose limbs have become alien; who are afflicted and yet are gifted with uncanny artistic or mathematical talents. In Dr Sacks’s splendid and sympathetic telling, each tale is a unique and deeply human study of life struggling against incredible adversity."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Mis...-+Oliver+Sacks
    Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (and other stories from the crematorium)- Caitlin Doughty
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "From her first day at Westwind Cremation & Burial, twenty-three-year-old Caitlin Doughty threw herself into her curious new profession. Coming face-to-face with the very thing we go to great lengths to avoid thinking about she started to wonder about the lives of those she cremated and the mourning families they left behind, and found herself confounded by people's erratic reactions to death. Exploring our death rituals - and those of other cultures - she pleads the case for healthier attitudes around death and dying."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smoke-Gets-...aitlin+Doughty
    Elephants On Acid, and Other Bizarre Experiments- Alex Boese
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Have you ever wondered if a severed head retains consciousness long enough to see what happened to it? Or whether your dog would run to fetch help, if you fell down a disused mineshaft? And what would happen if you were to give an elephant the largest ever single dose of LSD? The chances are that someone, somewhere has conducted a scientific experiment to find out..."

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elephants-A...ts-+Alex+Boese
    Yes, most of them are about different areas of psychology, or about dead bodies and how they're treated and dealt with, but that's what interests me I'm sure there are many books on genetic disorders, cardiovascular complications and lots of other specialities

Thanks for taking the time to read through this, and as always, your support means a lot! :grin:
    didn't get a notif for this :erm:
    but I like the sound of the skinner's box book
    Loved studying those studies at GCSE Might consider a purchase :yy:Thanks LDS Great reviewing here :awesome:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.