Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Asked for single sex accomm, given mixed? Help!!!

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    When I applied for accommodation at Edinburgh uni, I requested for single-sex; but from the Facebook group for Mansion Fountainbridge flats, a guy added me to my flatmates' group chat and it turns out I'm in mixed?? It's a self-catered, shared bathroom flat too!

Is this a normal occurrence??? I really don't want to be living in mixed accomm! I'm going to call the uni tomorrow but I accepted the contract weeks ago assuming it was single-gender, as I requested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codenameraven)
    When I applied for accommodation at Edinburgh uni, I requested for single-sex; but from the Facebook group for Mansion Fountainbridge flats, a guy added me to my flatmates' group chat and it turns out I'm in mixed?? It's a self-catered, shared bathroom flat too!

Is this a normal occurrence??? I really don't want to be living in mixed accomm! I'm going to call the uni tomorrow but I accepted the contract weeks ago assuming it was single-gender, as I requested.
    What's wrong with living with guys, I can't see why some people are so bothered about this.....

ReputationRep:
    If it's a huge problem, contact your university, but they might not have any other rooms.

If you can't switch, use it as an opportunity to gain a new experience and develop your social skills!

ReputationRep:
    Not for this uni, but I was the opposite - applied for mixed and got single sex... wasn't the end of the world, though it was one of the very places I knew on campus that was single gender for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:

looking at the images of the accommodation I'm 100% sure the bathroom will have a lock, and so will your room. I had a same sex flat, but there were ALWAYS boys in the communal areas because my flat mates had them over. It really wasn't the end of the world. You're not going to be leaving your room indecently dressed anyway, regardless of who you live with!

ReputationRep:
    Mixed accommodation is better anyway, imo

This happened to a friend of mine last year- but they didn't find out until they arrived and there were two boys and one girl in the flat ! If you are really unhappy see if you can get a swap - but if you read the small print they don't guarantee single sex just ask if you have a preference- so at this late stage i doubt they will have anything to offer you.

Try not to worry- I am sure it will work out fine

good luck

ReputationRep:
    Use this as an opportunity to get out of your comfort zone by living with a diff-sex person. Trust me from my experiences and from what I've heard (from both guys and girls) it's better living with someone of the opposite gender!

ReputationRep:

Hi do you want to exchange? I stay at Mylnes Court all girls flat.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I'm in the exact same situation down to staying at Mansion Fountainbridge this year! Tbh I'd forgotten that I'd applied for a single-sex accommodation but I get on fine with everyone in my flat so it's all turned out alright . Maybe it's something to do with the fact that Fountainbridge is an independent student accommodation? In any case I hope you've got it sorted now

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.