The Student Room Group

Cambridge Mphil Real Estate Finance 2017/18

Suppose now is a relatively early time to start asking questions but may aswell get the ball rolling... who's thinking of applying? thinking of applying but achieved a low first for my second year, (Russel group uni, economics and finance degree) so interested to see if anyone was in similar position!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Interesting to hear, I am in a comparable position. Do you have relevant RE experience? Did you already apply?
I am actually applying from continental Europe - do you think this is a disadvantage (e.g. do they prefer UK Bachelors over continental european ones?) or maybe even an advantage (e.g. diversity)?
I wonder when they will get back to us? Is it in 8 weeks (as mentioned on their website) or only after the deadline in March 2017?
Original post by TBill123
Interesting to hear, I am in a comparable position. Do you have relevant RE experience? Did you already apply?
I am actually applying from continental Europe - do you think this is a disadvantage (e.g. do they prefer UK Bachelors over continental european ones?) or maybe even an advantage (e.g. diversity)?
I wonder when they will get back to us? Is it in 8 weeks (as mentioned on their website) or only after the deadline in March 2017?

I'm applying from a different EU country too - hoping it won't matter that we did not do a UK bachelors! I won't be submitting my application for some time yet as I need to decide on my academic reference, but from reading threads from previous years it seemed that there were specific days that the board met and approved/rejected applications, so if you have submitted an application you will have to wait until the next board meeting, I guess. It definitely isn't a case of waiting until the deadline is over, but I think for students they are not sure about, meaning ones they don't want to definitely reject or definitely accept, I believe I read that some were still waiting until well into the summer before they knew definitively, so there is potentially a very long wait ahead!

There was another thread started on this course for 2017/18 here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67808196
Reply 3
TBill123 - I have two one month internships with real estate firms but not sure how highly Cambridge value work experience? I think they are predominantly academia focused when assessing applicants!From reading past threads, the response time is somewhat lengthy from what I can gather in the most part but it varies for all! Also I do not think being from continental Europe will act as a disadvantage to you, it'll help if your current academic institution is well respected and/or known though!
Is anyone going to fly over to Cambridge for the postgraduate open day (2 November)? http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/postgraduate-open-day-2016

Think I might go.

Original post by Weekend489
TBill123 - I have two one month internships with real estate firms but not sure how highly Cambridge value work experience? I think they are predominantly academia focused when assessing applicants!
Hopefully they value relevant work experience somewhat. I have a first class honours, although it isn't a high one, however like you I have relevant work experience (a few years of experience, actually) so it would be beneficial for me if they took account of experience - I don't know if they do, though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Hope so too! Also have two relevant internships..
My status changed to: 'under consideration by the department'.
Reply 6
Hey guys,

just wondering how is everyone's application going and are there any more people applying for this course?

Thanks
Reply 7
anyone?
Reply 8
Have been working on my PS and is ready to submit my app... I am still quite worried about my chances as I have got only 67% and 70% in my first two years which does not seem good enough, plus I dont really have any real estate focused work experience...

wondering how everyone elses profiles look like ?
Status changed to Awaiting Decision by BoGs today. Hope its a good sign:smile:
Original post by clark12341
Status changed to Awaiting Decision by BoGs today. Hope its a good sign:smile:

Hi clark! May I know when did you submit your application? =)
Original post by charlynnc
Hi clark! May I know when did you submit your application? =)

At the beginning of November:smile:
Mine too changed to: Awaiting Decision by BoGs

What does that mean?
Mine too changed to: Awaiting Decision by BoGs

What does that mean?

According to the past experience, it means we can get offers unless we don't meet the minimum academic or language test standard.. When did your camsis change to BoGs?
That would be awesome! It changed yesterday
Now it changed to 'awaiting approval by BGS' - yours too?
Now it changed to 'awaiting approval by BGS' - yours too?

No... I'm still awaiting decision by the BoGs...I found my camsis changed to this stage last Thursday up till now.... worried..
Wouldn't worry, thats only like 3,5 working days ago...
Thread seems dead now but anyone heard back from the department recently? My status has been 'under consideration my department' for a week ish now though not sure if that's any cause for alarm
Reply 19
Anyone gets any updates or offers yet? Mine is under consideration for department for almost one month.

Quick Reply

Latest