Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it normal to feel like your personal statement isn't 'good enough'? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I began to collate examples and ideas I had for my personal statement in July. In August, before my AS results were published, I wrote the main body of my statement and I'm currently re-wording my introductory paragraph. The support I have from my sixth form with regard to university application is minimal, to say the least, and so I looked on TSR to find some personal statements that were successful for the applicants of Oxbridge. I found myself daunted, distressed, and in the midst of an epic breakdown. I now feel that nothing I write can rival these, and despite my intuition telling me that structurally, everything is fine, I am inspired to ask the rather worrisome question of; is this normal? And how do you overcome the anxieties you have about applying? Any advise you have to offer would be really helpful x

ReputationRep:
    Your personal statement, ultimately, has to be just that - personal. I think that it's pretty normal to be anxious about what you have written, especially when comparing your statement to those others have written.

You can do nothing more than be yourself, and try to make your passion and enthusiasm for your chosen course(s) shine through your statement. Have you asked someone you trust to read through it for you and to make suggestions? Or do you have a friend who is a good sounding board for ideas? That can help!

ReputationRep:
    I cannot relate more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moderndaytess)
    I began to collate examples and ideas I had for my personal statement in July. In August, before my AS results were published, I wrote the main body of my statement and I'm currently re-wording my introductory paragraph. The support I have from my sixth form with regard to university application is minimal, to say the least, and so I looked on TSR to find some personal statements that were successful for the applicants of Oxbridge. I found myself daunted, distressed, and in the midst of an epic breakdown. I now feel that nothing I write can rival these, and despite my intuition telling me that structurally, everything is fine, I am inspired to ask the rather worrisome question of; is this normal? And how do you overcome the anxieties you have about applying? Any advise you have to offer would be really helpful x
    I am writing my personal statement at the moment as well and I find the best way to go about it is just write and then worry about making it look organised and structured. To get over anxieties, break the problem down. So, instead of thinking of it as writing 4000 characters, think in terms of a paragraph about my hobbies, why I enjoy the subject etc. Try not to focus too much on examples as it is meant to be personal.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReiJ)
    Your personal statement, ultimately, has to be just that - personal. I think that it's pretty normal to be anxious about what you have written, especially when comparing your statement to those others have written.

You can do nothing more than be yourself, and try to make your passion and enthusiasm for your chosen course(s) shine through your statement. Have you asked someone you trust to read through it for you and to make suggestions? Or do you have a friend who is a good sounding board for ideas? That can help!
    I have drawn on examples for inspiration but I don't think that I'll be tormenting myself by reading them anymore! I have a great English teacher who is brilliant to trial ideas on, and who has been instrumental to any ground (no matter how small) that has been made with my personal statement so far! Thank you for your message, it is massively reassuring to know that I'm not being totally neurotic. Thank you again for taking the time to reply x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruineth)
    I cannot relate more!
    It's so good to know that someone feels the same as I do! It sucks though, doesn't it? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarriorKnight15)
    I am writing my personal statement at the moment as well and I find the best way to go about it is just write and then worry about making it look organised and structured. To get over anxieties, break the problem down. So, instead of thinking of it as writing 4000 characters, think in terms of a paragraph about my hobbies, why I enjoy the subject etc. Try not to focus too much on examples as it is meant to be personal. Also, Which University have helpful articles for writing personal statements.

http://university.which.co.uk/

http://university.which.co.uk/advice...nal-statements

Hope this helps.
    Thank you for your brilliant advice! I think I'll dissect it and piece it back together when I feel comfortable with the individual components. Good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    It's so good to know that someone feels the same as I do! It sucks though, doesn't it? x
    Totally... I'm currently on 6000 characters, I just don't know how to cut it down really D:
    What are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Totally... I'm currently on 6000 characters, I just don't know how to cut it down really D:
    What are you applying for?
    Surely its better to write too much than write too little (that's what I'm telling myself anyway)! I'm applying for English literature and language...what are you looking to study? x

ReputationRep:
    Surely its better to write too much than write too little (that's what I'm telling myself anyway)! I'm applying for English literature and language...what are you looking to study? x
    I suppose that is true... But then you gotta fit it in 4000 characters haha
    Oh cool, I feel like prospective English students have more pressure to make it read really nicely. I feel sorry for you guys!
    Vet med ^^

ReputationRep:
    I suppose that is true... But then you gotta fit it in 4000 characters haha
    Oh cool, I feel like prospective English students have more pressure to make it read really nicely. I feel sorry for you guys!
    Vet med ^^
    Hahaha, you hit the nail on the head there! Fingers crossed. Vet Med, wow! Where are you looking to study? It's a little early to ask I suppose

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, you hit the nail on the head there! Fingers crossed. Vet Med, wow! Where are you looking to study? It's a little early to ask I suppose
    Not really! Vet med has early entry so I only have a little while.
    Probably Cambridge, Liverpool, Bristol then either RVC or Nottingham. It helps there is only 8 vet schools

Where do you want to apply?

Oh yes, I was never happy with mine. But, after the (13th!!!!) draft, I decided that I'd had enough and submitted it anyway. I still got conditional offers from Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, plus an unconditional offer from Birmingham. So, either the PS isn't as important as its cracked up to be, or you aren't a good judge of your own writing.

By the way, did you know that admissions tutors spend an average of 7 minutes reading each PS? It's really not the most important part of your application, so don't sweat it.

ReputationRep:
    Not really! Vet med has early entry so I only have a little while.
    Probably Cambridge, Liverpool, Bristol then either RVC or Nottingham. It helps there is only 8 vet schools

Where do you want to apply?
    I didn't realise how limited your choices are! I have to apply early too, because I'm choosing Oxford, Durham, Exeter and York...I think...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Oh yes, I was never happy with mine. But, after the (13th!!!!) draft, I decided that I'd had enough and submitted it anyway. I still got conditional offers from Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, plus an unconditional offer from Birmingham. So, either the PS isn't as important as its cracked up to be, or you aren't a good judge of your own writing.

By the way, did you know that admissions tutors spend an average of 7 minutes reading each PS? It's really not the most important part of your application, so don't sweat it.
    I've resolved to stop worrying so much about it! Oh wow, that's a fantastic set of offers. I'd love to get an offer from Durham! Fingers crossed I guess. Thank you for putting things into perspective for me.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise how limited your choices are! I have to apply early too, because I'm choosing Oxford, Durham, Exeter and York...I think...!
    Its silly isn't it?!
    Ah nice choices, well I wish you the best with it

ReputationRep:
    Its silly isn't it?!
    Ah nice choices, well I wish you the best with it
    I never realised that! Thank you, and best of luck to you for October

I've resolved to stop worrying so much about it! Oh wow, that's a fantastic set of offers. I'd love to get an offer from Durham! Fingers crossed I guess. Thank you for putting things into perspective for me.
    You can do it and there's plenty of time before the application deadline, so don't worry. You have months and months to write 4000 characters. That's longer than you would get for a 3000 word piece of coursework! Good luck.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm in a similar situation, I'm stuck at 3000 characters in length and it feels like the unis will take 1 look and go 'Nope'.
    Best thing to do I guess is to keep going back to a teacher who is well versed in the subject of interest until the statement feels done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    You can do it and there's plenty of time before the application deadline, so don't worry. You have months and months to write 4000 characters. That's longer than you would get for a 3000 word piece of coursework! Good luck.
    Thank you, that is brilliant advice that I will most definitely take a note of!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.