The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Err - has utilitarianism ceased to exist? Last time I checked, I didn't admit natural rights any status greater than (possibly) a useful approximation to allow us to pick the utility-maximizing option (which, ironically, might not be so far removed from certain conceptions of natural rights anyway.) It also has good reason to be anti-child sacrifice and anti-holocaust, by virtue of the wheeze of knowing the result one is supposed to get and skewing ones consequentialist calculus to get there.
Oswy
I can accept this up to a point, save that societal 'rights' also often depend on the circumstances of your birth - the colour of your skin, your sex, your sexual orientation, the religion you're born into or perhaps even the social status you have in the context of your parentage.
That shouldn't be true, but it is. That occurred to me when I was writing "20th-century British society", but I decided not to mention it for the sake of simplicity.
GregoryJL
Err - has utilitarianism ceased to exist? Last time I checked, I didn't admit natural rights any status greater than (possibly) a useful approximation to allow us to pick the utility-maximizing option (which, ironically, might not be so far removed from certain conceptions of natural rights anyway.) It also has good reason to be anti-child sacrifice and anti-holocaust, by virtue of the wheeze of knowing the result one is supposed to get and skewing ones consequentialist calculus to get there.
Isn't that a roundabout way of approaching the concept of the Social Contract - which must surely be pretty darn Utilitarian in nature if it is to work and be accepted?
Reply 43
DrunkHamster
This is exactly it, you've cut right to the point: unless you believe in natural rights of some sort you have no justification whatsoever for saying that the Aztecs sacrificing children or the Germans gassing Jews was wrong. All you can say is that it's wrong-as-interpreted-by-modern-western-standards. Are you really willing to accept that in their own context the Aztecs and the Nazis were acting morally?

You're also conflating the two issues of whether natural rights exist as a matter of practice and whether they exist. I believe that the Aztec children and the Jews in the concentration camps did have rights - the right not to be murdered, for example - which were of course infringed. Which is why I feel I can say that the Aztecs and the Nazis carrying out these deeds were acting immorally. Can you, as someone who doesn't believe in natural rights, say that?

Yes he can. Can you not see that natural claims don't make sense. It's just a whole lot of stuff you'd think would be nice. But they aren't authoritative in any objective way. Morality doesn't need to rest on natural rights.
Gilliwoo
Yes he can. Can you not see that natural claims don't make sense. It's just a whole lot of stuff you'd think would be nice. But they aren't authoritative in any objective way. Morality doesn't need to rest on natural rights.

I don't see how any single one of the alternatives are not. Utilitarianism? I think it would be nice to minimise suffering/maximise happiness (whatever they mean and however you measure them) therefore that is what's moral.
Reply 45
DrunkHamster
I don't see how any single one of the alternatives are not. Utilitarianism? I think it would be nice to minimise suffering/maximise happiness (whatever they mean and however you measure them) therefore that is what's moral.

The difference is we don't exalt the alternatives to the status of "rights". If a natural right is just that you claim from what your body needs, then it's no right at all. There's no reason for it to be authoritative. It just gives us extra things to consider in our dealings with others. Or not.
Reply 46
DrunkHamster
This is exactly it, you've cut right to the point: unless you believe in natural rights of some sort you have no justification whatsoever for saying that the Aztecs sacrificing children or the Germans gassing Jews was wrong. All you can say is that it's wrong-as-interpreted-by-modern-western-standards. Are you really willing to accept that in their own context the Aztecs and the Nazis were acting morally?

You're also conflating the two issues of whether natural rights exist as a matter of practice and whether they exist. I believe that the Aztec children and the Jews in the concentration camps did have rights - the right not to be murdered, for example - which were of course infringed. Which is why I feel I can say that the Aztecs and the Nazis carrying out these deeds were acting immorally. Can you, as someone who doesn't believe in natural rights, say that?

That's crap. Deontology ain't the only game in town, as well you know.

If you're saying that without moral realism (which patently is not the same as natural rights) we can't say that the Aztecs/Nazis were wrong, well, that's a different debate. But it very much seems the case to me that Hume, Mackie etc can still care about moral things (though I'm no expert on subjectivist ethics).
Reply 47
A right is an entitlement. Just because you can conceive to desire something it doesn't follow that this is justified by an entitlement to it. This is what natural rights conflate.

Latest

Trending

Trending