Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm your average punk rock kid without the massive boots and orange hair. I don't drink, love punk music and comic books. I've never fitted in at any point during my education. I'm going to uni in a couple of weeks and my flat mates are already organising drinking sessions and nights out. That's just not my scene. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers guys.

ReputationRep:
    I totally get your worries but the good news is university is THE place to find people from your scene. You've got so many different people, from all walks of life / cultures, that are thrown together in the same place - it makes sense that a few of you are into the same things. Remember, your new city will have different bars / music venues / societies to meet new friends.

What course are you doing? Because once you start connecting and talking to your coursemates, it'll become clear that you'll have stuff in common with them (hello, you chose the same subject after all). I got along with my flatmates but didn't really have anything in common with them (they were into the club scene) however, my close group of friends came from being on the same course.

Do not worry one bit, your 'type' of people will be out there! Promise.

ReputationRep:
    You will find people dont worry. Everyone finds their people x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PanamaCityBeach)
    I totally get your worries but the good news is university is THE place to find people from your scene. You've got so many different people, from all walks of life / cultures, that are thrown together in the same place - it makes sense that a few of you are into the same things. Remember, your new city will have different bars / music venues / societies to meet new friends.

What course are you doing? Because once you start connecting and talking to your coursemates, it'll become clear that you'll have stuff in common with them (hello, you chose the same subject after all). I got along with my flatmates but didn't really have anything in common with them (they were into the club scene) however, my close group of friends came from being on the same course.

Thanks so much! I feel much better now

ReputationRep:
    You sound awesome! What uni are you off to? This is something I'm worried about, but I've figured not everyone can be into drinking, clubbing, and nights out. There must be others who just want to stay in and have a show/movie marathon or something haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steampunk_Kitty)
    You sound awesome! What uni are you off to? This is something I'm worried about, but I've figured not everyone can be into drinking, clubbing, and nights out. There must be others who just want to stay in and have a show/movie marathon or something haha.
    Haha thanks! You too! I'm going to Southampton Solent. I'm sure we will find our own people. The idea of cliques and cool kids just seems ridiculous to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PanamaCityBeach)

Great advice! I'm also going off to uni like the thread starter, except I'm going to a collegiate uni, so I feel like it will be less likely for me to make my close group of friends that are similar to me, since each college only has around 200 people. I'm really anxious about going to uni because of this, since I'm not very sociable. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Cool! Yeah, we'll be fine. There are so many people at unis, statistically there must be a fit. Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12284)
    Great advice! I'm also going off to uni like the thread starter, except I'm going to a collegiate uni, so I feel like it will be less likely for me to make my close group of friends that are similar to me, since each college only has around 200 people. I'm really anxious about going to uni because of this, since I'm not very sociable. What should I do?
    Never conform to what others think is cool. Just be yourself and you'll be happy. That's all that matters. Good luck.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samo22)
    I'm your average punk rock kid without the massive boots and orange hair. I don't drink, love punk music and comic books. I've never fitted in at any point during my education. I'm going to uni in a couple of weeks and my flat mates are already organising drinking sessions and nights out. That's just not my scene. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers guys.
    Hello ,

It doesn't matter that it isn't your scene. It isn't for everyone and no one is going to judge you or think any differently of you for not doing so - university isn't like that. Not at all. You do what you want and be comfortable with you and people will respect that.

University isn't like any other form of education in any form. Their aren't 'stereotypical groups' of people - university is where you find the most diverse friendship groups so just be yourself and you will make friends as you go through university.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samo22)
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm an introvert who doesn't drink, i'm going to be living 40 miles away from campus, I'm 30 years old and I have my daughter over weekends.

Not everyone is in the same boat.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.