Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I went into year 11 today and I've been doing triple science since year 9, and I was thinking of moving down because of how bad I am at B3, C3 and P3 (everything else I'm fine with). Since moving down a set would make me drop those subjects, I was thinking about it, but I feel lazy and stupid for doing so as well as embarrassed, and as if I'm not trying hard enough (I'm awful at revision but I can if I really focus and not procrastinate.) However pressure has been pretty high and I have so many other exams to study for too as well as piles of homework... So I'm stuck in the middle. What should I do??

Also, does doing additional/double science instead of triple mean you can't do science for A-levels??

ReputationRep:
    If you're struggling with GCSE triple science, you'll REALLY struggle with A-level science subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avamay)
    So, I went into year 11 today and I've been doing triple science since year 9, and I was thinking of moving down because of how bad I am at B3, C3 and P3 (everything else I'm fine with). Since moving down a set would make me drop those subjects, I was thinking about it, but I feel lazy and stupid for doing so as well as embarrassed, and as if I'm not trying hard enough (I'm awful at revision but I can if I really focus and not procrastinate.) However pressure has been pretty high and I have so many other exams to study for too as well as piles of homework... So I'm stuck in the middle. What should I do??

Also, does doing additional/double science instead of triple mean you can't do science for A-levels??
    In my opinion. I found it much easier to revise for the 3's purely because there is less content to revise. Which is the reason I did much better in my 3's then my 2's. P3 is so small and although the concepts are hard once you grasp hold of the concept it's really really easy to revise.

However I HATED revising for the 2's especially C2 and P2 they were SO long and I did not as great on them. I got overall A* in Further Additional and A in Additional.

Also not doing triple science doesn't mean you cannot do sciences at college. They'll look at your core and additional results.

ReputationRep:
    There is no shame in dropping Triple to focus on just two. It doesn't mean you're lazy or stupid, just sensible. And no it won't prevent you from doing science A-Levels BUT Science A-Levels are tough and to get good grades you have to be able to revise—there's an awful lot to learn and not much time to do it. Maybe step away from Triple and spend some of your additional time working on your revision techniques. That way all of your subjects will benefit (and your A-Levels too.)

ReputationRep:
    So, I went into year 11 today and I've been doing triple science since year 9, and I was thinking of moving down because of how bad I am at B3, C3 and P3 (everything else I'm fine with). Since moving down a set would make me drop those subjects, I was thinking about it, but I feel lazy and stupid for doing so as well as embarrassed, and as if I'm not trying hard enough (I'm awful at revision but I can if I really focus and not procrastinate.) However pressure has been pretty high and I have so many other exams to study for too as well as piles of homework... So I'm stuck in the middle. What should I do?? Also, does doing additional/double science instead of triple mean you can't do science for A-levels??
    May I ask what exam board you are on?

I did triple science and I can tell you now, doing core and additional science instead of triple doesn't (tend) to affect your chances of doing A-level science (most, if not all, colleges ask for B grades in core and additional science).

However, if you're thinking of doing chemistry at A-level, triple science is very handy. I had my first chemistry lesson today at AS (I'm on OCR B Salters exam board) and having the triple science knowledge was incredibly handy, particularly as we need to know the moles equation. There were only two students' in my class (of 10) today who hadn't done triple science and although we [briefly] went through the mole equation, as I already knew it, I could carry on working and look at enthalpy change in more detail, which was particularly handy! Oh, and it doesn't mean you're lazy in the slightest, triple science isn't for everyone, we had four students drop out of triple last year because they didn't want to do it.

What are you thinking of doing for A-levels?

ReputationRep:

Assuming your exams are/will be in summer next year, I wouldn't worry too much about not being to confident at B3, C3 and P3, I know i wasn't and we only started with them in December/January of Yr 11. They are harder and re meant to be since you need to apply knowledge more than in B1/B2/C1/C2/P1/P2 rather then repeat it.I'd say talk to your teachers first, see what they'd recommend or if they're able to help you understand topics better, im sure they'd be willing to. If that doesnt help much then you'd have to see if youre willing to put in a bit more to learn and go over topics, if not then double would be a good option but triple gives you three grades and some sixth forms prefer a B in triple over an A in double. But of course, you have to decide what's best for you going forward - the content in triple will likely benefit you in A-levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.