Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello all, in a few weeks time I am due an appointment with the orthodontist to discuss my underbite and a possible realignment of the jaw. I would like to know, how long the procedure takes, bearing in mind I have worn braces before and since taking them off a few years back my teeth have only moved slightly. Preferably I'd like to have the procedure done before I go university in September. Also I am insured on private health care so would they be quicker with the process? Finally, how much would the cost be, I am currently 18 years of age and will turn 19 in june.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by do the sturridge)
    Hello all, in a few weeks time I am due an appointment with the orthodontist to discuss my underbite and a possible realignment of the jaw. I would like to know, how long the procedure takes, bearing in mind I have worn braces before and since taking them off a few years back my teeth have only moved slightly. Preferably I'd like to have the procedure done before I go university in September. Also I am insured on private health care so would they be quicker with the process? Finally, how much would the cost be, I am currently 18 years of age and will turn 19 in june.
    I don't know a huge amount about this but if it's for medical reasons then I *think* the NHS will pay for it, despite you being over 18. I might not be right on that though. Is it next september you go to uni? If so you might be done by then, if you mean this year then obviously not! Your best bet is to ask in this thread, there's loads of people who've had it in there should be able to help you. Privately may well be faster, cost a lot more though!

(Original post by furryface12)
    I don't know a huge amount about this but if it's for medical reasons then I *think* the NHS will pay for it, despite you being over 18. I might not be right on that though. Is it next september you go to uni? If so you might be done by then, if you mean this year then obviously not! Your best bet is to ask in this thread, there's loads of people who've had it in there should be able to help you. Privately may well be faster, cost a lot more though!

Yes, september 2017 is when i will be at uni, thanks for your support i will check that thread out

ty

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.