Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there is a way to change from a non-income assessed loan to an income assessed one? My Dad originally didn't want to bother with the fuss of filling in the forms because we knew we'd get no extra support. However, he's now decided to retire this October, and the fall in income would mean I'd qualify for more loan/help with tuition fees. I've had conformation of the original application being processed from both the LEA and Student Loan Company. Is it too late now? I've tried looking at the student support website thingy, but couldn't find anything about this. Thanks.

(Original post by sock)
    Does anyone know if there is a way to change from a non-income assessed loan to an income assessed one? My Dad originally didn't want to bother with the fuss of filling in the forms because we knew we'd get no extra support. However, he's now decided to retire this October, and the fall in income would mean I'd qualify for more loan/help with tuition fees. I've had conformation of the original application being processed from both the LEA and Student Loan Company. Is it too late now? I've tried looking at the student support website thingy, but couldn't find anything about this. Thanks.
    Contact your local LEA and request that they accept an updated form with the relevant new information on it from you. I seem to recall there being a bit of blurb in one of the guides relating to known changes of circumstances in the near future. I'm sure if you contact them (phone is usually the best method), they will be able to advise you on the best course of action much better than anyone of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Contact your local LEA and request that they accept an updated form with the relevant new information on it from you. I seem to recall there being a bit of blurb in one of the guides relating to known changes of circumstances in the near future. I'm sure if you contact them (phone is usually the best method), they will be able to advise you on the best course of action much better than anyone of us.
    Thanks, I'll do that. I guess I haven't got anything to lose by trying.

(Original post by sock)
    Thanks, I'll do that. I guess I haven't got anything to lose by trying.
    Quite the oppostie in fact....you have upto £1000 to gain!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Quite the oppostie in fact....you have upto £1000 to gain!!!
    Well my parents do They'll be happy if it works, I've got an older brother at uni as well, so they could gain around £4000 a year, with tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sock)
    would it make any difference anyway - i thought they assessed the income received in the last tax year :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    would it make any difference anyway - i thought they assessed the income received in the last tax year :confused:
    Correct. You'd have to wait until the following year. This is unless they have a clause whereby one of the parents will be retiring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    I just spent a looong time reading the booklets that came with the student loan application form, and one of them said:

"If your parents' income has fallen a lot, they can ask your LEA to look at their likely income before deductions for the current financial year."

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.