Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya I'm interested in studying at Oxbridge (French and Spanish) but I don't want to apply if I have no chance.
    In my AS I got:
    A in French (99%)
    A in Spanish (83%) - only 1 of 2 As, half my class got an E or a U and the class had 22 pupils.. I plan to retake one paper to get it up to near 90% so I can get an A* next year
    A in Politics (86%)
    B in History which is currently being remarked as I did one paper and got an A and was too ill to do the second so I got given a calculated mark which took me down to a B

I also go 10A* 1A at GCSE and my predicted grades are A*A*A (A*s in languages)

Do I have a chance at Oxbridge but in particular Cambridge? Any replies welcome

ReputationRep:
    Ffs can't you just ask this in the general thread, I'm getting sick of seeing hundreds of individual threads as if the circumstances change for each person.

But whilst I'm here... Yes, you have a chance. Your Spanish and Politics UMS is a bit weak for Cambridge, but Oxford certainly will consider you for interview provided you do well in the admissions test (as people say in every other similar thread).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchspanish101)
    Hiya I'm interested in studying at Oxbridge (French and Spanish) but I don't want to apply if I have no chance.
    In my AS I got:
    A in French (99%)
    A in Spanish (83%) - only 1 of 2 As, half my class got an E or a U and the class had 22 pupils.. I plan to retake one paper to get it up to near 90% so I can get an A* next year
    A in Politics (86%)
    B in History which is currently being remarked as I did one paper and got an A and was too ill to do the second so I got given a calculated mark which took me down to a B

What proportion, roughly, of people you know do all arts subjects? I did English, History, Latin and Philosophy so I'm just interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchspanish101)
    In my AS I got:
    A in French (99%)
    A in Politics (86%)

Hey just wanna let u know you don't need to retake Spanish to get an a*, an a* is based on your a2's only so you need 90% next year at least, and you need to average out on the whole to 80% . So it's fine -no need to retake. If you don't believe me look up how the a* works online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juicysugar98)
    Hey just wanna let u know you don't need to retake Spanish to get an a*, an a* is based on your a2's only so you need 90% next year at least, and you need to average out on the whole to 80% . So it's fine -no need to retake. If you don't believe me look up how the a* works online
    That's great thanks for the help! Are you sure even with Edexcel cause I'm sure my teacher said its 360/400? Maybe I misunderstood ..

ReputationRep:
    hey no its the same for every single board

the a* works like so:
    - an average of 80% in the whole two years so overall you must have over 320/400 (80%)
    - and in the 2nd year all your modules must average out to 90%

so actually if you think about it, you could even get 70% in first year and if you got 100% in the 2nd year, you could get an A* because 70+100 = 170, 170/2 = 85% overall
    and then over 90% in the 2nd year,
    so that is an A*

The only reason you should retake, is if you little confidence you will achieve the A* and are aiming for an A. So if you think you'll do badly in the 2nd year that is. The more ums you can score the first year the easier it is the 2nd year to achieve an A

That is why the A* really stands out, it shows that you are an exceptional candidate that has scored very well in both years.

ReputationRep:
    and also yes i think you have a good shot at cambridge because your ums is great 90% in a few so yes, definitely give it a shot, its only 1 of your 5 options anyways

ReputationRep:
    and also yes i think you have a good shot at cambridge because your ums is great 90% in a few so yes, definitely give it a shot, its only 1 of your 5 options anyways
    I think they'd have more chance at Oxford due to their Spanish UMS being low for Cambridge (especially as that's one of the degree subjects).

ReputationRep:

the a* works like so:
    - an average of 80% in the whole two years so overall you must have over 320/400 (80%)

so actually if you think about it, you could even get 70% in first year and if you got 100% in the 2nd year, you could get an A* because 70+100 = 170, 170/2 = 85% overall
    so that is an A*

The only reason you should retake, is if you little confidence you will achieve the A* and are aiming for an A. So if you think you'll do badly in the 2nd year that is. The more ums you can score the first year the easier it is the 2nd year to achieve an A

That is why the A* really stands out, it shows that you are an exceptional candidate that has scored very well in both years.

the a* works like so:

so that is an A*

Thanks for the help!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.