Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi there can anyone help me with this bearing question? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi i have this bearing question i'm doing and the answer is 115 i'll send a picture, so what i've tried doing is thinking the interior angle next to c is 60 because all angles on a line add up to 180 then i took away 60 from 240 to find the exterior angle but then i remembered it's inside of a triangle so so far i've got my answer as 24- for the bearing of c from a
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by MahamedAli)
    Hi i have this bearing question i'm doing and the answer is 115 i'll send a picture, so what i've tried doing is thinking the interior angle next to c is 60 because all angles on a line add up to 180 then i took away 60 from 240 to find the exterior angle but then i remembered it's inside of a triangle so so far i've got my answer as 24- for the bearing of c from a
    Your method is a bit too long winded. There is a very easy way to do this. Find the angle at A, add that onto 55. Job done. Can you see why?

ReputationRep:
    As AB and CB are the same the triangle is isocoles, so to find the two bottom angles you do (180-60)/2 which is 60 (it's an equilateral triangle!)
    you know the bearing of B from A is 55 so to get the bearing of C from A you do 60 + 55 which is 115
    hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Your method is a bit too long winded. There is a very easy way to do this. Find the angle at A, add that onto 55. Job done. Can you see why?
    The question doesn't say not to scale so i'm assuming i can just measure? or is there another way to do this? Sorry for the trouble
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jasminglynne)
    WORKING OUT
    Please dont give away answers! It's against the posting rules.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    The question doesn't say not to scale so i'm assuming i can just measure? or is there another way to do this? Sorry for the trouble
    You are told two sides are equal, therefore the angles are A and C must be equal to each other due to your isosceles triangle facts. You know one angle, so you can find the other two as they add up to 180. Once you know all angles it should become obvious as to what type of triangle that is, more so as to what the bearing is of C from A

ReputationRep:
    As AB and CB are the same the triangle is isocoles, so to find the two bottom angles you do (180-60)/2 which is 60 (it's an equilateral triangle!)
    you know the bearing of B from A is 55 so to get the bearing of C from A you do 60 + 55 which is 115
    hope this helps!
    I know this is a stupid question but how did you know it was an isoceles? thank you for your answer

ReputationRep:
    You are told two sides are equal, therefore the angles are A and C must be equal to each other due to your isosceles triangle facts. You know one angle, so you can find the other two as they add up to 180. Once you know all angles it should become obvious as to what type of triangle that is, more so as to what the bearing is of C from A
    Thank you so much for your help finally got this done.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I know this is a stupid question but how did you know it was an isoceles? thank you for your answer
    It's isosceles because two sides are of equal length (we are told this) and the angle between them is not a right-angle.

ReputationRep:
    Please dont give away answers! It's against the posting rules.
    sorry they said what the answer was in their question so I was just trying to show the steps to getting it, I'll try not to next time
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    sorry they said what the answer was in their question so I was just trying to show the steps to getting it, I'll try not to next time
    Just hint them in the right direction, don't do their homework for them.

ReputationRep:
    Just hint them in the right direction, don't do their homework for them.
    This isn't my homework i'm just trying to learn bearings for my tests at the end of the year. But you're correct in the fact that you should hint me to the right answer that way i'll remember it better. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I can't bear to comprehend how much struggle you're going through

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.