Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Homeland's triple science + maths insanity preventing blog Watch

Grow your grades 2017
    (let's see how long this lasts)

Me
    So, welcome to my safe space. Err I don't know if I should introduce myself or not? I'm homeland.lsw and I'm doing A levels right now. I want to go study medicine at uni (surprise surprise) so the next two years will be fairly important, or so i'm told...

So for the next year I'll be doing:

Biology (full 2 year course) (AQA)
    Chemistry (full 2 year course) (AQA)
    Maths (full 2 year course) (Edexcel)
    Physics (1 year AS course) (AQA)

My GCSEs
    Spoiler:
    Show

I got some good grades. I'm proud of said grades. But I'm not gonna list them because what's the point apart from personal satisfaction? They don't really mean much now anyway. If you were that desperate to know I can always tell you in private

My AS levels
    Spoiler:
    Show

So the way my school works is, we choose three full 2 year A level courses and 1 AS course- mine being physics. However if you are able to cope with doing 4 full A levels, then at the end of this academic year you are given the option to continue the AS level and do the full A level in year 13. Also we are doing C1, C2 and S1 next June too

My predicted grades
    Spoiler:
    Show

A few weeks ago we were given target grades, I don't know if they're the same as predicted grades (probably not) but those were A*A*AA (in Biology, Chemistry, Maths AS and Physics AS) I'm hoping those will be a reality come the summer of 2018

What I want to achieve
    Spoiler:
    Show

who doesn't want to achieve A*A*A*? :lol: I feel that i have the capability to achieve these grades in 2018, i just need to knuckle down and start working properly lmao. At the end of this year I'm hoping for an A in physics and maths, and an A* prediction in chemistry and biology

Other
    Spoiler:
    Show

I've got my grade 8 piano exam in a couple of weeks time (10th December :woo:) and some work experience lined up too. thinking of doing the BA flag award in French, Spanish and Russian if I can be bothered to revise for it :lol:

So yeah...I don't know what else to say but...
    meh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Ok so I promised a lot of people that I was done here. I broke that promise but who cares

Anyway, I noticed a few people (by a few I mean surina16 and nisha.sri) start a grow your grades, study blog thing for their A Levels way back, so I thought,why not give it a go? It's not like you completely lost interest in your GCSE one

Oh well here goes...

Over the next two years I'll be doing the 2 year A level course in Biology, Chemistry and Maths and an AS course in Physics. Yes I chose triple science and maths, but to be honest it's a relief to be done with English and history

For the TSR sleuths, or people that speak to me, you know I want to pursue a career in medicine (surprise surprise) and over the summer I was lucky enough to do a clinical placement in the gynaecology department of University College London Hospital and also the orthopaedic department. So I didn't exactly do any prep work for year 12...

However I took a much needed break and really enjoyed myself, I managed to read a very good book (The Knife Man-- a biography of John Hunter, the father of modern surgery) and even got my hands on the Collins Handbook of Clinical Medicine (I didn't understand much, but it was fairly interesting to glance at when bored)

I'll try and post here every day (emphasis on the try) and set out a plan for what I want to achieve. I feel like I was a bit all over the place with GCSEs so I just want to be organised and all that jazz.

So yeah

TL;DR
    Wants to do med
    Took bio chem physics and maths

Let's see how this works out
    I'll be watching this Good luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Good luck with your A Levels, I'm sure you'll do great

(Original post by nisha.sri)
    I'll be watching this Good luck
    (Original post by NiamhM1801)
    Good luck with your A Levels, I'm sure you'll do great
    Aww thank you both <3

7/9/2016

So far, I got home from school and did my maths homework (pretty simple indices stuff) and biology (a work sheet on carbohydrates) then went to my piano lesson, and now I'm back to crack on :work:

I need to do some physics homework- it shouldn't take more than a 20 minutes, then I need to revise for a chemistry test next week

I'll probably do some more research on the carbohydrates and the various structures etc for biology too...

Wish me luck

Update 1 Physics is completed :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Are you back from Sofia? And Good Luck, you can do this! :five:

(Original post by k.m.b)
    Are you back from Sofia? And Good Luck, you can do this! :five:
    Yes I am Honestly I wish I was back there, it was so chill :sigh:

9/9/16

Although I didn't post anything on the blog yesterday I did do work I can assure you of that

But this friday marks the end of my first week as a year 12 student, and to be honest, it was pretty meh. I don't know what I was expecting but I feel like it was underwhelming :erm:

In maths we've been doing indices, surds and basically an intro to C1 which wasn't too difficult at all
    Physics lessons were mostly introductory- dealing with units and base units and standard form
    Chemistry has been going over moles and RAM etc

so far only biology has been learning new things (monosaccharides etc)

Anyway tonight I need to complete research on the iodine, biuret, ethanol and benedicts test, do some maths work, and revise for my chemistry test on Monday :work:

12/9/16

I feel like I should make a revision timetable because right now I seem to be all over the place....

Anyway over the weekend I did some work but not a lot really. I wonder if anyone has tips for staying motivated. I get that I need to do a lot of work if I'm to get the grades I want and need, and don't get me wrong, I don't mind revising/studying, it's just I'm meh

I had my pre A level chemistry test today, it was more or less GCSE content and I found it alright to be honest.

I wonder if this is what other people do, but I do all my homework during my free periods in school so when I come home I kinda sit around and well, procrastinate.

I'm going to try and read ahead in chem and bio...

Let's say:Revise lipids and proteins for bio
    Revise atomic structure for chem?

Let's see how it goes

6/11/16

Ah it felt scary writing 11...just shows how close 2016 is to ending.
    I've decided to plan out what I want to get done today in a little checklist. I think I'm being a bit hopeful but we'll see how everything goes.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 09.39.33.png
Views: 40
Size:  213.5 KB

I'll come back later to see how well I've got on.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    6/11/16

Ah it felt scary writing 11...just shows how close 2016 is to ending.
    I've decided to plan out what I want to get done today in a little checklist. I think I'm being a bit hopeful but we'll see how everything goes.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-06 at 09.39.33.png
Views: 40
Size:  213.5 KB

I'll come back later to see how well I've got on.
    This all sounds really good
    I'm doing the same board as you for physics so if you need someone to discuss something that you don't understand with, I'm willing to help (except maybe not on waves, I'm pretty bad at waves...)
    Other than that though keep it up and good luck with your studies!

(Original post by NiamhM1801)
    This lol sounds really good
    I'm doing the same board as you for physics so if you need someone to discuss something that you don't understand with, I'm willing to help (except maybe not on waves, I'm pretty bad at waves...)
    Other than that though keep it up and good luck with your studies!
    thanks for that physics seems to be the subject i'm finding most tricky at the moment so i'll definitely take up your offer at some point
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    thanks for that physics seems to be the subject i'm finding most tricky at the moment so i'll definitely take up your offer at some point
    No worries

7/11/16
    Yesterday went quite ok if I'm honest. I didn't get through everything I wanted to but hopefully today will be better.
    Here's my little timetable I made:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 15.40.10.png
Views: 60
Size:  236.9 KB

I'll come back later tonight to post my progress Good luck all other people in a similar position to me

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 23.26.14.png
Views: 57
Size:  223.8 KB

Got on quite well tonight. Super tired so I'm off to bed :woo:

Submit reply
Updated: November 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.