Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is a decent law career possible with ABB at a-level. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I haven't gotten results yet but just wandering.

ReputationRep:
    I should think so - I know somebody who is doing very well at Queen Mary (2nd year), and will qualify with at least a 2:1, University of London degree - which isn't a bad start.

Have you applied to UCAS? If so, to which institutions?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting Politics at Nottingham in September

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    I haven't gotten results yet but just wandering.
    I suppose it depends on which uni you go. I know that some very good unis offer AAB for law (like KCL, Leicester)....so there are probably unis that will have a decent law course that will let you in with ABB. However, since competition is fierce..it won't be easy getting into the courses with only ABB at a level.

Alternatively, apply for a different course first, like history maybe, and then do the one year conversion course..then pursue a career in law that way. I don't know about history degrees...but i'd guess you can get in to a good uni with ABB...or politics or english.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I suppose it depends on which uni you go. I know that some very good unis offer AAB for law (like KCL, Leicester)....so there are probably unis that will have a decent law course that will let you in with ABB. However, since competition is fierce..it won't be easy getting into the courses with only ABB at a level.

Alternatively, apply for a different course first, like history maybe, and then do the one year conversion course..then pursue a career in law that way. I don't know about history degrees...but i'd guess you can get in to a good uni with ABB...or politics or english.

G
    Yeh I think Politics is a good non-law degree to do before the conversion as well. I am having doubts about law because of the fact that ethnic minority people have a harder time making it. I'm from the Caribbean (look kinda spanish) I'm hoping that it won't be too much of an obstacle though, I do have an english surname so hopefully the discrimination won't be too bad :-/

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I think Politics is a good non-law degree to do before the conversion as well. I am having doubts about law because of the fact that ethnic minority people have a harder time making it. I'm from the Caribbean (look kinda spanish) I'm hoping that it won't be too much of an obstacle though, I do have an english surname so hopefully the discrimination won't be too bad :-/
    Don't let the discrimination stop you from trying. If you can get yourself a good degree, say a 1st or 2:1, then do the conversion course at a good uni, you have every chance to becoming a successful lawyer, as long as you work hard and do well.

G

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't stopped me from intending to study law - I'm of Barbadian stock , born in England. My aunt (who read Law at the LSE) was Senior Crown Counsel in the British Virgin Islands, passed the LA Bar exam, has worked in the City and most the tax havens in the Caribbean. She experienced prejudice, but has still managed to secure some truly amazing jobs - it goes with the territory. Grit yourself and make the best of it - aim high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    It hasn't stopped me from intending to study law - I'm of Barbadian stock , born in England. My aunt (who read Law at the LSE) was Senior Crown Counsel in the British Virgin Islands, passed the LA Bar exam, has worked in the City and most the tax havens in the Caribbean. She experienced prejudice, but has still managed to secure some truly amazing jobs - it goes with the territory. Grit yourself and make the best of it - aim high.
    Where are you hoping to study law??

G

Btw- well said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Where are you hoping to study law??

G

Btw- well said!
    I'd ideally like to go to either Oxford, UCL, LSE or Kings. I'm sending off my UCAS in September.

Have you applied/in the process of applying or are you at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I'd ideally like to go to either Oxford, UCL, LSE or Kings. I'm sending off my UCAS in September.

Have you applied/in the process of applying or are you at uni?
    Just need to get my grades now, and i'm off to cambridge

Good luck with your application!

G

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it do you think to get your CPE/LPC paid for?

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it do you think to get your CPE/LPC paid for?
    You need to a find a big firm to offer you a TC. If you have As and a 2:1, you should find something.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showthread.php?t=23832

ReputationRep:
    lol, I remember that thread, that's why I asked about ABB actually cuz you said AT LEAST AAB :-/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, depends what you want though. AAB for the biggest and best, yes, but if you want to work for a national firm (e.g. Eversheds) or some of the smaller City firms, ABB would suffice.

ReputationRep:
    I have an Indian background and my family have a solicitors' firm. When they started off they had to buy an englishy name for the firm though so that they wouldn't have such a hard time making it! The area they were in was quite Indian anyway, now they've moved offices but have taken all their old clients with them really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)
    I have an Indian background and my family have a solicitors' firm. When they started off they had to buy an englishy name for the firm though so that they wouldn't have such a hard time making it! The area they were in was quite Indian anyway, now they've moved offices but have taken all their old clients with them really.

This is not a personal dig at your or your family, but I think it is a cop out to assume an 'Englishy' name. If minorities are to be accepted into the Law industry, then they should be accepted on their merits, not on their assumed Englishness. You make it almost sound as if you should be ashamed to be Indian.

That reminds me of some Nigerians that came to my school; they changed their names to English ones and told everyone that they were half Caribbean just so that nobody would take the piss. People should be proud of their heritage, and not try to hide it; only this way will minorities be accepted for what they are, and not want they (think) they want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinkymints)

Wow, it sure is going to be easy for you to find a training contract.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of law, and I don't really know what I'll get for A-level. Say I get my offer and I go to LSE to do BA History, and get a 2.1, and learn French, play sport and join Amnesty International. Is this going to be enough to get an interview at one of the big firms? I can't afford to pay for the CPE and LPC unless they sponsor me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire1985)
    I was thinking of law, and I don't really know what I'll get for A-level. Say I get my offer and I go to LSE to do BA History, and get a 2.1, and learn French, play sport and join Amnesty International. Is this going to be enough to get an interview at one of the big firms? I can't afford to pay for the CPE and LPC unless they sponsor me!
    I don't know myself....if it was Law at LSE....then i reckon you'd have a very decent shot at it...since LSE has a reputation for law ranking alongside oxbridge, however...i know nothing about its reputation for history.

However, if LSE's overall standard is anything to go by, a BA in history from LSE would be a very good degree to have before going for a conversion course, so it's very possible.

G

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.