The Student Room Group

Feel so silly - damn spider!

Gah I just can't shake this feeling! I accidentally picked up a large spider the other day between my thumb and index finger on my right hand (not with fingertips, down at the 'webbed' bit) and it was a couple of seconds before I realised what it was. I am absolutely terrified of spiders and after a girly scream, running away etc (:redface:), I still can't shake the feeling of my hand feeling dirty.

Now I keep absent mindedly pinching and holding the skin between my thumb and forefinger, rubbing it on stuff and compulsively washing my hands. I know how stupid it sounds, but I can't shake the feeling. My skin is even a bit red where I keep rubbing it. I'm so stupid :redface: Any suggestions how I can stop this silly behaviour?
Reply 1
chop off your hand. and then use your good hand to kill all the spiders.
Reply 2
k-lee C
chop off your hand. and then use your good hand to kill all the spiders.

But then how will I chop off my other hand once I've killed all the spiders? :s-smilie:
I absolutely understand your reaction though - that's exactly how i'd think
Reply 4
pinkpinkuk
But then how will I chop off my other hand once I've killed all the spiders? :s-smilie:

well you dont have to kill the spiders with your bare hand!

but, in the event one does make direct contact, i advise you simply bite that hand off.
Reply 5
;console; eeek I get like that about stuff too sometimes :sadnod:
Try putting gloves on for a bit..kinda helps :redface:*is a majur freak*
:frown:
Reply 6
Give it a good lick.
Reply 7
pinkpinkuk
Gah I just can't shake this feeling! I accidentally picked up a large spider the other day between my thumb and index finger on my right hand (not with fingertips, down at the 'webbed' bit) and it was a couple of seconds before I realised what it was. I am absolutely terrified of spiders and after a girly scream, running away etc (:redface:), I still can't shake the feeling of my hand feeling dirty.

Now I keep absent mindedly pinching and holding the skin between my thumb and forefinger, rubbing it on stuff and compulsively washing my hands. I know how stupid it sounds, but I can't shake the feeling. My skin is even a bit red where I keep rubbing it. I'm so stupid :redface: Any suggestions how I can stop this silly behaviour?

*shudders* I know how you feel - well, I don't, cus I've never done that before - but I HATE spiders so much that I know how bad it can get. When I've seen ridiculously big spiders before, I would freeze, slam a book against it, and when it's dead and gone I would shake for minutes, and maybe even get tears in my eyes. It's why I use a book - there's absolutely no chance whatsoever of me touching the dreaded thing.

As for how to shake off that feeling - I guess just stop thinking about it. And find the blasted thing and kill it :biggrin: I'm cruel like that when it comes to spiders, I'm afraid.
Reply 8
Its a hundred miles or more away now - I did it when I was making the bed up just before leaving my partner's parents' house. And would you believe I'm still checking my shoes before I put them on? :redface:
Reply 9
You just have to convince yourself that there is nothing wrong with it at all; spiders are in no way dirty they are fine to handle. I often handle tarantulas etc owing to the fact that I am pretty obsessed with 'dangerous' animals and find them fascinating, however you must appreciate that there really is absolutely nothing to fret about. There are far far worse things you could accidentally touch :wink:.
you could try overreacting?
Reply 11
get yourself some alcohol handwash which should make you feel better

nice clean hands
Masturbate with that hand.
Reply 13
Poor you. The responses to your post are in the majority rather unhelpful, but I suppose that's because a phobia is an irrational fear, and it's difficult for someone without phobias to relate to your irrational fear of spiders.

First of all, you need to tell yourself that if you keep pinching and rubbing the skin between your thumb and index finger, it is going to tear, and it's not exactly an easy place to stick on a plaster. Keep trying to 'clean' this piece of your hand and you're going to actually hurt yourself. Sometimes dealing with a phobia is easier if you try to force yourself to look at the facts.

Shaking off an association with something you hate is really difficult - could you perhaps get a close friend or member of family to hold that part of your hand for say, ten minutes? In that length of time you won't be able to scratch the skin as you'd like, and you'll begin to associate the person you like with the skin, rather than the spider.

I hope you feel better soon.
I'm terrified of spiders too so i can really sympathize with you on this one. Last night i woke up and thought i saw a spider run down my pillow. I ran outta bed and pulled everything off the bed to find there was nothing there. I always seem to hallucinate spiders (even pink ones before now!) I know its hard but just try to forget about it, if you keep washing your hand/pinching the skin etc. you're gonna end up really hurting yourself which isn't good. I know how you feel though, if a spider's been in/near my bed or even my room i shake before even getting in there and won't sleep in there for ages (i'm silly i know) xx<3

Latest