Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for History at Cambridge but I only got a B at as-level (Three marks from an A). Do I still stand a chance at being offered an interview?
    I got A's in all my other subjects and I'm predicted an A* for next year in History if that makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaKrahn)
    I'm looking to apply for History at Cambridge but I only got a B at as-level (Three marks from an A). Do I still stand a chance at being offered an interview?
    I got A's in all my other subjects and I'm predicted an A* for next year in History if that makes a difference.
    It's difficult to say. How high were the A grades in your other subjects and do you think Cambridge considers an A* prediction realistic for a B grade at AS? I mean, you might as well apply, it's only 20% of your options and there's only around 4/5 applicants per place.

ReputationRep:
    A* prediction from a B at AS? may I ask, what sort of school do you attend?

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine got an interview for English at Cambridge with AABB. I'd say it's worth a shot, so long as you have some other safer options too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    It's difficult to say. How high were the A grades in your other subjects and do you think Cambridge considers an A* prediction realistic for a B grade at AS? I mean, you might as well apply, it's only 20% of your options and there's only around 4/5 applicants per place.
    The A grades were pretty high, in one of my exams i only dropped 4 marks. My teachers are pretty strict so I don't think they would of predicted me the grade if they didn't think I could achieve so hopefully that would come across to them in my references? idk. Yeah that's true i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    If OP was doing really good (As and 90%+) then the person doing the reference can explain the slight downfall in the actual exam to justify the prediction.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Here's what the PAT said to someone asking the same question today:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0&postcount=26

(yes you still stand a chance)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    History was my best subject last year and I relaxed on revision towards the end which is why i missed out on the A. My school's pretty strict, but they think that I'm capable because of the work i produced last year.

ReputationRep:
    The A grades were pretty high, in one of my exams i only dropped 4 marks. My teachers are pretty strict so I don't think they would of predicted me the grade if they didn't think I could achieve so hopefully that would come across to them in my references? idk. Yeah that's true i suppose.
    If they were pretty high, how come you didn't get A* predictions in other subjects? Do you mean they were solid A grades rather than being high enough for an A* prediction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    A friend of mine got an interview for English at Cambridge with AABB. I'd say it's worth a shot, so long as you have some other safer options too
    Okay phew, thank you

ReputationRep:
    If they were pretty high, how come you didn't get A* predictions in other subjects? Do you mean they were solid A grades rather than being high enough for an A* prediction?
    I didn't say my predicted grades for my other subjects ahaha. I'm not sure what my other predicted grades are as I haven't spoken to my teachers yet, I was most concerned with History as that's the one I want to study next year.

ReputationRep:
    History was my best subject last year and I relaxed on revision towards the end which is why i missed out on the A. My school's pretty strict, but they think that I'm capable because of the work i produced last year.
    you didn't answer the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Here's what the PAT said to someone asking the same question today:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0&postcount=26

(yes you still stand a chance)

Ah, thank you so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yua)
    you didn't answer the question
    It's a sixth form college (Woodhouse).

ReputationRep:
    It's only 3 applicants per offer.

Kind of surprising - that's not even competitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    It's only 3 applicants per offer.

Kind of surprising - that's not even competitive.
    It's not the most exciting subject tbh...

ReputationRep:
    It's not the most exciting subject tbh...
    ahahah, easy now. It's a great subject. I think a lot of people are put off by it's position in league tables. I mean, i nearly didn't apply because of a B so...

ReputationRep:
    ahahah, easy now. It's a great subject. I think a lot of people are put off by it's position in league tables. I mean, i nearly didn't apply because of a B so...
    Haha, I remember doing Tudors for GCSE history and wanting to jump out the window.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.