The Student Room Group

Do you think the world is too 'convenient?'

I was sat down by myself reading a book the other day, and it occurred to me, everyone expects everything to happen to them in a short space of time. Want to order something online and get it the next day? Amazon Prime. Want to get hold of your friend who's asleep? Spam them on Facebook Messenger. Want to get a loaf of bread at 3am? Tesco is 24 hours now. To me it just seems like the world is too convenient, no one really appreciates time and space anymore, Hell, shops were closed on a Sunday not too long ago, now it doesn't matter because the local petrol station is open 24 hours? I just think everything is at our fingertips and that people don't actually take time to genuinely relax anymore, always a constant stress or worry in peoples lives, I think stress will kill us before anything else will.
Reply 1
so u'd like the world to be less convenient
10/10
I agree stress is biggest killer these days but this is the world we have created now, I remember when the only shop open on a Sunday would be the local paper shop and the roads would be so quiet but as you say everything is (almost) instant now but a less hectic way of life would be nice sometimes
It's interesting to live in such a world where everything is so convenient and then another thing comes along that makes everything EVEN MORE convenient. And once you experience it you can't imagine living in a world without it. For example I remember getting our first laptop and I just couldn't fathom how we used to live using our bulky old desktop. Now we have tablets and phones which do even more than my old desktop.
Reply 4
I kind of understand what you mean. Actually it is amazing how most people are still so busy despite some parts of the world being too convenient as you say it. So yeah looks quite stressful :redface:
A lot of this rings true to me, but I wonder if these yearnings are genuine or if they're just nostalgia and romanticism.
I think you should reevaluate your use of the term "the world".
Reply 7
Yes and because everything is so convenient it makes everyone lazier - hence why you get the crap like "learn X language in just FIVE MINUTES" or "lose X weight iN JUST 2 DAYS!!!" nonsense, because our entire world has been based upon convenience.

It's a shame but equally makes things a lot easier.
There is no such thing as too convenient. These things are progress and make life easier. Life was tough before all this stuff.
Evolution bruh
hahahaha...OP cannot manage his/her life.
Original post by Plagioclase
A lot of this rings true to me, but I wonder if these yearnings are genuine or if they're just nostalgia and romanticism.

Aye
having tesco open 24/7 doesn't stress me. op is a pussy who doesnt know how to time manage.
Original post by kimkarsd
having tesco open 24/7 doesn't stress me. op is a pussy who doesnt know how to time manage.

But it's soooooo stressful think of all the lonely loafs of bread untouched by human hands but lit up by the light of the refrigerator just waiting, waiting all night, for the daylight to come when people actually go to tesco to buy bread. But for now the lonely loaf must wait under the cold hum of wasted electricity whilst a homeless smelly man passes by making his way to the isle where his late night can of beer awaits, a purchase he'll be lucky to make if the security guard doesn't chuck him out and then...

The loaf of bread is plunged into the night again alone and unwanted waiting for the light of day to pour through the tunnel at the end of the shop.

Our tesco isn't even open 24/7 anymore.
Its all about downloading the app, whats trending on twitter and what the current celebrity whore of the hour is endorsing. Actually going to a library and researching something, that way of life is fast becoming extinct.
Reply 15
i think you're right... I mean not all of the world is convenient though (so I guess it could start to make us dissociate from the rest of the world if we stay in our bubble and don't travel outside of it), but I don't think it makes life stressful. I think it does the opposite really, I'd be more stressed about having to wait until a certain time to do something, or not being able to buy some necessity I forgot to buy on Saturday until Monday morning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending