Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've decided to take a gap year and study something else even though i got accepted into my first year. Now when i told my parents it was a shock and they were encouraging to follow the course that i chose. They told me if I took a gap year i would have to pay bill which is what I expected and planned for but they also said that If i wanted to go out with friends then they would most likely say no. That mean any kind of social gathering. I think this is harsh and I need some advice as to how I can find some middle ground.

You dont need a gap year trust me, summer holidays are enough rest
    Then you might lose or change your study routine over such a long period
    Also, you just dont wanna have your life one year behind, the sooner the better
    But if you do however want this, I'd recommend that you remind yourself that all parents are stuck in the 20th century and that they'll never change their decision even if you argue with them for hours
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Tan1234)
    So I've decided to take a gap year and study something else even though i got accepted into my first year. Now when i told my parents it was a shock and they were encouraging to follow the course that i chose. They told me if I took a gap year i would have to pay bill which is what I expected and planned for but they also said that If i wanted to go out with friends then they would most likely say no. That mean any kind of social gathering. I think this is harsh and I need some advice as to how I can find some middle ground.
    I agree that them stopping you going out is incredibly harsh, but may be more of a spur of the moment thing to try and get you not to take a gap year. I reckon if you leave it a few days, and talk to them about it again they might be a bit more reasonable when things have settled down.
    I mean, is there a reason you couldn't just go out anyway? I guess you're 18, so they technically can't stop you :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You dont need a gap year trust me, summer holidays are enough rest
    Then you might lose or change your study routine over such a long period
    Also, you just dont wanna have your life one year behind, the sooner the better
    But if you do however want this, I'd recommend that you remind yourself that all parents are stuck in the 20th century and that they'll never change their decision even if you argue with them for hours
    I dont think it would be a waste though. I would spend it working and I am changing course to do forensic science.

(Original post by Tan1234)
    I dont think it would be a waste though. I would spend it working and I am changing course to do forensic science.
    You can spend another year working after you finish your uni, if you are in the need of money then you should do this but otherwise, trust me, I know a guy who has taken a gap year and his school life went downhill. Because for one and a half year he had no routine of studying...
    Also do something normal, forensic science is tiresome, requires dedication, you can be called at any time of the day etc... Plus where are you expecting do find a job with that course?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.