Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have IBS? I'm going to uni next year (Sept 2017) Hopefully and I have really bad IBS. I'm really worried. Has anyone got any advice? Don't want to let it hold me back and gonna do my best not to let it! Anything would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 96Popcorn)
    Anyone else have IBS? I'm going to uni next year (Sept 2017) Hopefully and I have really bad IBS. I'm really worried. Has anyone got any advice? Don't want to let it hold me back and gonna do my best not to let it! Anything would be appreciated!
    Take buscopan and things like that with you also talk to your doctor to see if they can advise you what foods not to eat that may cause the problem. keeps food diary and when you have a problem write down what you had for supper or lunch then if you have it again with similar food avoid that food.

I also suffer from IBS and have found having porridge in the morning (kellogg's crunchy nut porridge if your wondering) has really helped stop it also bran flakes may help. good luck at uni

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a lot about IBS, but you should be able to apply for the DSA. I have a DSA due to dyslexia and dyspraxia, but I believe it works to the same sort of principle. If you apply (you do this at the same time as your student finance) and provide evidence from a doctor of your IBS, then you can go to a meeting and they discuss what you think would be helpful to you while you are at uni. Personally, I get software on my computer, some stationary and a printer paid for, extended deadlines and library and loans and a support officer. You can also get things like money off transport, and they can do things like recommend to the university that you receive an en-suite room.

On the open days they normally have people you can speak to at a student support stand, so it could really be worthwhile for you to go and have a chat with them.

ReputationRep:
    Your uni will have a Student Support department, so make contact with them when you arrive. They will tell you the kind of things the uni can do to help.

I suspect they will advise you to apply for DSA. I know it feels like overkill, but if accepted, you might be able to get more facilities*which make uni life easier. For example, taking exams in a smaller room rather than an exam hall, meaning that you can take ad hoc/frequent toilet breaks more easily and without disturbing others.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hello ,

IBS shouldn't stop you in your tracks or control your life - it will only if you let it. I know a lot of people at university with IBS and they don't rant and rave about it, it's nothing major. Talk to your doctors, get medication and sometimes IBS is heightened by certain foods you eat - so figure it out and cut out the food. You are worrying about something that should have no impact on your progress in life.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I have IBS i got in contact with someone in charge of disabilities and informed them about my condition - they went ahead and informed my professors and i personally felt better knowing that. For lectures i opt to sit at the back as i feel better away from everyones eyes. Setting up a routine would be good like knowing when you want to get there my ibs is triggered by my anxiety and i get that whenever i leave so i made sure to get ready with plenty of time to make myself feel better so that I'm less likely to encounter problems during my lessons

ReputationRep:
    im on fodmaps right now but it took a year to fully adjust with the help of a dietician. also its extremely restricitive to what you eat so when i dont do fodmaps i have these pills called mebeverine that literally cure it but i have to deal with side effects like insomnia, feeling sick, loss of apetite etc so i don't recommned them for 24/7 use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jannah.h)
    im on fodmaps right now but it took a year to fully adjust with the help of a dietician. also its extremely restricitive to what you eat so when i dont do fodmaps i have these pills called mebeverine that literally cure it but i have to deal with side effects like insomnia, feeling sick, loss of apetite etc so i don't recommned them for 24/7 use
    yeah mebeverine works great and happy for me i don't get the side effects.

ReputationRep:
    Went to uni after having surgery for IBD so not exactly the same situation, but kind of similar. It was alright tbh. Talk with student support, you'll probably be able to get an extra 30 minutes for your exams in case you need to go to the bathroom. Never needed it personally so I had an extra half an hour of planning time lol. Might be able to get a room with an en suite in halls too if you mention it?

More generally: I find marshmallows are good for stopping me up. Keep some immodium in your flat, try to get a place with more than one bathroom in Y2 onwards if you're sharing and don't let it stop you from getting on with boozing etc. Oh yeah, drink plenty of water too, maybe avoid soft drinks and overdosing on caffeine.

ReputationRep:
    Try and get things as well managed as possible as it's likely a change of routine will set you back a bit and you don't want it to be debilitating. I would also speak to student support - you want to make sure you get an en suite bathroom so you have privacy. They can also help if you have a bad episode and need help with deadlines etc. Get registered with a GP as soon as you arrive just in case. Try not to get so caught up in the freshers hype that you make yourself sicker!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.