The Student Room Group

Which is more important: doing your dream degree or going to your dream uni

I want to do theoretical physics and my dream uni offers it, but I prefer the look of the course at UCL. But I wasn't even considering going to uni in a city, since it's much harder to make friends and everything is really far apart so you don't really get a uni vibe. What should I do :frown:
Original post by carolinehj
I want to do theoretical physics and my dream uni offers it, but I prefer the look of the course at UCL. But I wasn't even considering going to uni in a city, since it's much harder to make friends and everything is really far apart so you don't really get a uni vibe. What should I do :frown:

That's not true. Going to a city uni is equally fun and has the same level to make friends as going to a non-city uni.
Yes, it's more sociable if you accommodate at that city uni, but you can still be as sociable.
Loads of students make friends, don't worry about that. I rather you focus on the course and which one you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If your dream uni already offers the course you want, isn't that already the best combination?

Undergraduate courses do not differ that much from one another as they are designed to provide all the essential fundamentals and then electives which may differ somewhat. What's your dream uni btw?

I'm guessing that cost of living in London isn't an issue and the entry requirements for either isn't a problem either.
It comes down to you and quality of the course between the two. What is the difference between UCL and dream uni x?

Also your perception and happiness of where you study will have an overall bearing on how you get on.
If you are still in year 12 then there is plenty of time to make your decision, applicant days, interviews, offers and then your final choice (I guess no chance that one could be a suitable insurance) So don't worry too much, you would probably do well to have a good look at UCL before committing and honestly comparing them.

That said my daughter decided on Sussex on back of visit and feel of physics dept and course structure of theoretical there so there's no one answer, and sure you'll be fine where ever you decide
UCL? that's a top tier uni.

what's your dream uni? oxford? imperial? cambridge doesn't offer straight physics.

What's your dream uni? Maybe its course is actually better than UCL's, but I can't know unless you tell me :wink:
With respect to the lifestyle of London universities, it's worth checking out the accommodation options and availability not just for first year, but throughout the degree programme. It would not be much fun if you end up having to move out to the suburbs and commute in 2nd year, but this may not be the case. If halls of residence are available, and especially if they are close to the university, you may find the experience no less appealing than a campus university.

What it is that you prefer about the course at ucl? unis have different module titles for the same thing a lot of the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending