Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I really want to get into Exeter for a FCH degree. I want to study International Relations and Strategy and International Security with Japanese, to be more specific. However, I am worrying a lot about whether I even stand a chance.

My AS-levels:
    Government and Politics: A (85 UMS)
    Psychology: A (over 85% raw marks and UMS)
    Sociology: A
    English Literature: B

(Note: My college is quite good, with 46% getting A*-B at A-level.)

Relevant things that prove my suitability for the course:
    - bilingualism
    - living and studying in two different countries (bicultural experience)
    - reading many books
    - student Ambassador
    - editor of the student newspaper
    - in the writing club
    - going to a university's Model United Nations
    - work experience with an MP
    - member of a political party
    - visiting two Parliaments (the UK Parliament and my native country's)
    - learning hiragana, katakana, and some Kanji
    - a lot of miscellaneous things related to Japan (watching anime and TV shows, reading books by Japanese authors and manga, attending festivals and concerts of Japanese bands, etc)

Yes, my AS-levels and the things I did can probably prove my enthusiasm for the course with little or no problems. My GCSEs and situation are the problem...

My GCSEs:
    English Literature: A
    English Language: B
    Business Studies: B
    Biology; B
    Chemistry: C
    Physics: C
    Higher Mathematics: C
    Psychology: C
    History: C
    Religious Studies: C

As you can see, my GCSEs are average. I have good reasons for that, though. I immigrated to the UK in year 11 and had to do all of my GCSEs in a single year, not to mention that three of my GCSE teachers left in the middle of the year. In addition, the latest data I have about my school's GCSE results shows that only 44% of students achieved five grades A*-C, which is quite bad and below the average for the county.

Also, before my AS exams, my mother was hospitalised for a pre-stroke or something like that, then had to have an emergency heart surgery and my grandmother died, so naturally, I had less time to revise and more stress that affected my study time and its effectiveness.

To make everything worse, I just moved to another country and will do a completely different qualification for which I need to catch up on three years' worth of study material by myself, meaning that I am less likely to do well because of all the material I have to self-teach. (At least I will volunteer and will most likely get a job meanwhile.)

So, with these in mind, do you think I stand a chance or that I should not even bother to apply?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    I really want to get into Exeter for a FCH degree. I want to study International Relations and Strategy and International Security with Japanese, to be more specific. However, I am worrying a lot about whether I even stand a chance.

My AS-levels:
    Government and Politics: A (85 UMS)
    Psychology: A (over 85% raw marks and UMS)
    Sociology: A
    English Literature: B

(Note: My college is quite good, with 46% getting A*-B at A-level.)

Relevant things that prove my suitability for the course:
    - bilingualism
    - living and studying in two different countries (bicultural experience)
    - reading many books
    - student Ambassador
    - editor of the student newspaper
    - in the writing club
    - going to a university's Model United Nations
    - work experience with an MP
    - member of a political party
    - visiting two Parliaments (the UK Parliament and my native country's)
    - learning hiragana, katakana, and some Kanji
    - a lot of miscellaneous things related to Japan (watching anime and TV shows, reading books by Japanese authors and manga, attending festivals and concerts of Japanese bands, etc)

Yes, my AS-levels and the things I did can probably prove my enthusiasm for the course with little or no problems. My GCSEs and situation are the problem...

My GCSEs:
    English Literature: A
    English Language: B
    Business Studies: B
    Biology; B
    Chemistry: C
    Physics: C
    Higher Mathematics: C
    Psychology: C
    History: C
    Religious Studies: C

As you can see, my GCSEs are average. I have good reasons for that, though. I immigrated to the UK in year 11 and had to do all of my GCSEs in a single year, not to mention that three of my GCSE teachers left in the middle of the year. In addition, the latest data I have about my school's GCSE results shows that only 44% of students achieved five grades A*-C, which is quite bad and below the average for the county.

Also, before my AS exams, my mother was hospitalised for a pre-stroke or something like that, then had to have an emergency heart surgery and my grandmother died, so naturally, I had less time to revise and more stress that affected my study time and its effectiveness.

To make everything worse, I just moved to another country and will do a completely different qualification for which I need to catch up on three years' worth of study material by myself, meaning that I am less likely to do well because of all the material I have to self-teach. (At least I will volunteer and will most likely get a job meanwhile.)

So, with these in mind, do you think I stand a chance or that I should not even bother to apply?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    You definitely have a great chance to get in. Your AS levels and experience in other areas is quite great/above average.

Don't worry about your GCSEs. Ask your school to talk about your mom's hospitalization/grandmother's passing away and you having to do GCSEs in 1 year. Exeter should take these into account. Plus you have proven you are capable of achieving highly based on your AS results.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.