Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello there
    This is my first time posting in the student room but I have been stalking these threads for over a year now and it has really helped me in making my decision so thankyou. Now I want to give a bit back.

A quick bit about me first. I am 'just' a mature student. I am 20 going on 21 next month.
    I dropped out of school at 13 due to complex personal reasons. I had a gorgeous baby girl at 18 (she is now 2) and then went back to college to do my GCSE'S. I have my Maths, English and Core Science all at an A.

I am starting an Access to Science course on Monday and my induction day is tomorrow. This is with the aim of going to University next year to do Biochemistry. I live in London and due to family I will be commuting to University from home. I will be applying to UEL, Westminster, QMUL and Kings. I have already been to their open days.

I am both very nervous and excited about starting. I am excited to learn more, move forward with my life and meet new people. I am nervous as its been a long time since ive been in full time education and I know this course will bring a heavy work load with it.

I wanted to start this diary about my journey through the Access to Science course in the hope of helping prospective access students in the way TSR has helped me. And if you're doing an Access to Science course please contribute and hopefully we can all support each other.

Its going to be a difficult but hopefully very rewarding year. Goodluck to everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tigger20)
    Hello there
    This is my first time posting in the student room but I have been stalking these threads for over a year now and it has really helped me in making my decision so thankyou. Now I want to give a bit back.

A quick bit about me first. I am 'just' a mature student. I am 20 going on 21 next month.
    I dropped out of school at 13 due to complex personal reasons. I had a gorgeous baby girl at 18 (she is now 2) and then went back to college to do my GCSE'S. I have my Maths, English and Core Science all at an A.

I am starting an Access to Science course on Monday and my induction day is tomorrow. This is with the aim of going to University next year to do Biochemistry. I live in London and due to family I will be commuting to University from home. I will be applying to UEL, Westminster, QMUL and Kings. I have already been to their open days.

I am both very nervous and excited about starting. I am excited to learn more, move forward with my life and meet new people. I am nervous as its been a long time since ive been in full time education and I know this course will bring a heavy work load with it.

I wanted to start this diary about my journey through the Access to Science course in the hope of helping prospective access students in the way TSR has helped me. And if you're doing an Access to Science course please contribute and hopefully we can all support each other.

Its going to be a difficult but hopefully very rewarding year. Goodluck to everyone!
    Hi welcome

Nice thread and well done on overcoming personal hardships to achieve amazing GCSEs and hopefully soon become a biochemist.

I am also excited got my enrolment tomorrow.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread, it'll be nice to go through the access with other tsrians as I'm sure we'll be able to offer each other plenty of support.

Do you know which subjects you'll be studying as part of access?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, thanks for the welcome and
    thankyou for your supportive comments!

What Access will you be doing and when do you start? What do you want to study at University?
    It is very exciting/nerve wracking isn't it?

It will be great to help and support other Access students.

Im doing Access to Science and Biomedical Science. I will be studying 21 credits in Chemistry, 18 credits in Biology and 12 credits in Physics and Study Skills.

I will add to this thread tomorrow after my induction afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    So I did a 2 hour induction this aftenoon.

Only 4 people from my course turned up (they are expecting 10-12 people to turn up for the course next week.)

We met our teacher (a very lovely, bubbly and well educated woman) who will also be our biology teacher.

We did an icebreaker to get to know a bit about each other. We found out what degrees we each wanted to do.

We were given a student handbook (which we went though) specific to our course which covers everything about our course. Each of our units and how they're assesed, what happens if it's late, our time table and classrooms etc. Very informative.
    We were given the oppurtunity to ask any questions. We then took a tour of the college.

It was a friendly, informal and informative afternoon.

I am now excited to get started on Monday!

I put the wrong credits above so just want to correct that:
    Study skills:15 ungraded credits (pass or fail)
    Biology: 18 credits
    Chemistry: 15 credits
    Physics: 9 credits
    Maths: 3 Credits

ReputationRep:
    Went to my induction yesterday. 16 turned up out of 18 total, and the induction lasted all day.

There aren't credits on my course. They teach the same way on my course as they do in high schools, so we are doing Highers (Scottish equivalent of A-levels). You need to pass all the units and then pass the external exams in May, and you apply for degrees the same as you would if you were in school.

My timetable has me in Tuesday to Friday, 9-4 (9-5 on Thursday). I have 6 hours per week on Maths alone. I got Mondays off though, so I'm happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    Enrolling a little late on the Access to HE: Science next week!

Good luck to you and I'll be checking back in to see how things go for others too

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone getting on?
    My frist day today (just a half day, full days for the next 2 days.) It was a 3 hour chemistry class. Very much just going over some basics that I'd just learned in my science GCSE. Very interactive, not just getting lectured at which was fab. Their were 15 of us. Im sure the work will get a lot harder soon. We did get some homework which looks easy enough.
    Very anxious for when everything ramps up a gear.
    Tutorial and biology tomorrow.
    If anyone has any questioms please ask.

ReputationRep:
    I start an evening access course with Glasgow University later this month, induction day is on Friday. We study two subjects depending on what degree we are looking to progress to. I'm studying Maths and Physics, most likely looking to do a Physics degree but I am open to doing a Maths degree.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you all, this time last year I had just started. I'm going into my college tomorrow for a Q&A session with the new recruits. I'll probably give the same pep talk that our class was given!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Wotcher, any pep talk for us new recruits? How did the Access course go for you?

So 2nd Day:
    Tutorial - This was spent going over everything from induction day as most people didnt turn up but as I had done it was a bit boring. But for the first term tutorial will be mostly used for working on our ucas applications which we will start on either next week or the week after. Our statement has to be in by the 28th of November.

Biology: We were really thrown in the deep end! 3 hours of learning all about the 'cell', all the organelles in the cell, their structures and functions. That is all alot of new information that I will have to spend hours going over and revising.
    Our first assignment is on this, not sure when that will be exactly. Soon I believe. Really want to start off with a distinction so I will really have to work hard.

How is everyone elses Access to Science course going?

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Structure-function links of cells and cell organelles is what I was discussing with the learners today!

ReputationRep:
    It's been pretty intense, I missed the first week as I had a holiday booked (booked it well before I knew I'd be starting the access), so been playing catch up.

We have core maths, two chem units and two biology units along with study skills. We're two weeks in and have already been set our first essay

Overall enjoying it but getting a bit nervous about getting bogged down by all the essays we'll be set

ReputationRep:
    Hry Applyyourself.
    That would be hard catching up but not impossible. Id much rathrt have your schedule than mine! We do physics as well which is by far my weakest subject. Wish I didnt have to do physics.
    We havent had anything but a study skills assignment yet and that will be done in class.
    Im getting very nervous about when we will get our first assignments, looks as though we will be getting a load at once around week 5 to all be handed in in November.

ReputationRep:
    Hry Applyyourself.
    That would be hard catching up but not impossible. Id much rathrt have your schedule than mine! We do physics as well which is by far my weakest subject. Wish I didnt have to do physics.
    We havent had anything but a study skills assignment yet and that will be done in class.
    Im getting very nervous about when we will get our first assignments, looks as though we will be getting a load at once around week 5 to all be handed in in November.
    Yeah I'm glad we don't have a third option, but we end up studying the two options in more depth so it's the same in the end.

Getting all your assignments at once should be fun

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Biochemistry at university so it would have been better for me to do more in depth biology and chemistry but ah well. I just have to make the best out of what ive got.
    I am not looking forward to it! I just hope I can mage it and not get over whelmed.
    What is your first essay on?

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Biochemistry at university so it would have been better for me to do more in depth biology and chemistry but ah well. I just have to make the best out of what ive got.
    I am not looking forward to it! I just hope I can mage it and not get over whelmed.
    What is your first essay on?
    I'm sure you'll manage

Biochem looks good, which unis are you applying to?

First essay is on bonding (describe covalent and ionic bonding), sounds simple but actually writing the ideas I have down and trying to keep to the assessment criteria for distinctions is harder than I thought it'd be.

ReputationRep:
    I have to stay in London so it will be kings college, QMUL, UEL and westminster.
    What do you want to do at Uni and where are you applying to?
    We've not done that yet. We are on cells, cell membranes in Biology and Atoms, subatomic particles and elements in chemistry. Electricity in physics.

ReputationRep:
    Well done on getting where you want to be! It's not easy or cheap, but always worth it.

I am 27 and just started my access to science two weeks ago. I am doing it part time so it will take two years (so I am able to still work full time along side it). And then my hope is to go on and do Biomedical Science.

I didn't do great at school, mostly to lack of confidence. I left with two GCSE's and then I did Essential Skills ICT straight after, which I did well at. After that I got an apprenticeship as a celebration cake decorator. I ended up doing that professionally for 8 years. Then I became a make-up artist part time whilst working in coffee shops and restaurants. This is where I am at now, but I found that working with the general public can be so soul destroying. Thats when I signed up for the access course. I waited six months and did a two week science course to bring me up to speed and now I am here. So happy that I have been accepted onto the course.

This year I have biology (module 1), chemistry, ICT and study skills. Next year I will do biology (module 2), microbiology and mathematics. It's all very nerve wracking but very exciting. Never thought I would say this but I am looking forward to all the work!

We have our first essay to be handed in on the 5th October. Seems like there is just a constant flow of essays to be done on the access. Currently working hard on this first one to get it handed in early and have more time on the next one.:cyber:

ReputationRep:
    I have to stay in London so it will be kings college, QMUL, UEL and westminster.
    What do you want to do at Uni and where are you applying to?
    We've not done that yet. We are on cells, cell membranes in Biology and Atoms, subatomic particles and elements in chemistry. Electricity in physics.
    You're lucky you have some good choices there. I'll be applying to Bradford for Optometry

Is your access all essays or are there exams as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpeckledFrog)
    Well done on getting where you want to be! It's not easy or cheap, but always worth it.

I am 27 and just started my access to science two weeks ago. I am doing it part time so it will take two years (so I am able to still work full time along side it). And then my hope is to go on and do Biomedical Science.

I didn't do great at school, mostly to lack of confidence. I left with two GCSE's and then I did Essential Skills ICT straight after, which I did well at. After that I got an apprenticeship as a celebration cake decorator. I ended up doing that professionally for 8 years. Then I became a make-up artist part time whilst working in coffee shops and restaurants. This is where I am at now, but I found that working with the general public can be so soul destroying. Thats when I signed up for the access course. I waited six months and did a two week science course to bring me up to speed and now I am here. So happy that I have been accepted onto the course.

This year I have biology (module 1), chemistry, ICT and study skills. Next year I will do biology (module 2), microbiology and mathematics. It's all very nerve wracking but very exciting. Never thought I would say this but I am looking forward to all the work!

We have our first essay to be handed in on the 5th October. Seems like there is just a constant flow of essays to be done on the access. Currently working hard on this first one to get it handed in early and have more time on the next one.:cyber:
    Hi and well done to you too, Cake decorating sounds like a fun career

If there was a part time option where I study I would've taken it but unfortunately I'm having to juggle the full time access with full time work as well

What will you be applying to study at university?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.