Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have not got enough experience right now (Im in Yr12 going into Yr13 this September, oh tomorrow actually)
    But for Yr13 I have alot planned including working with St Johns Ambulance, Dementia Care, a Care Home, And a part time job (maybe) and starting the dofE to bronze minimum.

But i am struggling to put any good relevant work experience down for my personal statement right now as i dont have anything basically, (check my attachment as I have done a little but not much compared to others)

Here attached is all the extra curricular activities ive done. And what I have planned.
    My school were terrible for arranging anything for me.
    Oh and i am predicted 3As at A2. The grades are ok. Its just the work experience where i am lacking. Ill worry about getting 3As November time after the BMAT and UKCAT are done.

I have been considering deferred entry. But even then i still dont have anything that good to put down to be accepted for interview. I know its not about how much you do but how you reflect on it. But everyone goes to a care home, everyone gets a week or so at a hospital and/or a GP etc.
    Oh and my UKCAT is 22nd September ..

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    You honestly don't need very much. As long as it looks strong in your personal statement, and you can talk about it at interview, you'll be fine.
    It is very much how you reflect on it, and you have planned a range of activities. For example, I started my personal statement with an example from hospital work experience, and went on to talk about personal experiences in family health, and linked it to volunteer work with Age UK.
    This was all I really wrote about for volunteering and work experience, and then went on to extra-curricular activities and reading. Remember, the personal statement isn't that long.
    A lot of applicants seem to think they need 'loads' of work experience, but I got an interview with Liverpool for my ps (when they didn't consider UKCAT, and the ps was the main factor).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    You honestly don't need very much. As long as it looks strong in your personal statement, and you can talk about it at interview, you'll be fine.
    It is very much how you reflect on it, and you have planned a range of activities. For example, I started my personal statement with an example from hospital work experience, and went on to talk about personal experiences in family health, and linked it to volunteer work with Age UK.
    This was all I really wrote about for volunteering and work experience, and then went on to extra-curricular activities and reading. Remember, the personal statement isn't that long.
    A lot of applicants seem to think they need 'loads' of work experience, but I got an interview with Liverpool for my ps (when they didn't consider UKCAT, and the ps was the main factor).
    That sounds very reassuring. But i still havent done any actual volunteering yet. The wait for DBS checks is too long
    Thanks for the help though. Im hoping to get into Newcastle and they are more UKCAT based so i need to do good in that to meet the threshold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobwibbles)
    That sounds very reassuring. But i still havent done any actual volunteering yet. The wait for DBS checks is too long
    Thanks for the help though. Im hoping to get into Newcastle and they are more UKCAT based so i need to do good in that to meet the threshold.
    Best of luck for the UKCAT

ReputationRep:
    I have not got enough experience right now (Im in Yr12 going into Yr13 this September, oh tomorrow actually)
    But for Yr13 I have alot planned including working with St Johns Ambulance, Dementia Care, a Care Home, And a part time job (maybe) and starting the dofE to bronze minimum.

But i am struggling to put any good relevant work experience down for my personal statement right now as i dont have anything basically, (check my attachment as I have done a little but not much compared to others)

Here attached is all the extra curricular activities ive done. And what I have planned.
    My school were terrible for arranging anything for me.
    Oh and i am predicted 3As at A2. The grades are ok. Its just the work experience where i am lacking. Ill worry about getting 3As November time after the BMAT and UKCAT are done.

I have been considering deferred entry. But even then i still dont have anything that good to put down to be accepted for interview. I know its not about how much you do but how you reflect on it. But everyone goes to a care home, everyone gets a week or so at a hospital and/or a GP etc.
    Oh and my UKCAT is 22nd September ..

Thanks,
    It's enough. Just make sure you can relate it to what you've learned and how it helps you in medicine. It seems that many people who were successful in applying didn't have much experience as evident by the applicant profiles on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    Best of luck for the UKCAT
    Thank you i will need it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    It's enough. Just make sure you can relate it to what you've learned and how it helps you in medicine. It seems that many people who were successful in applying didn't have much experience as evident by the applicant profiles on TSR.

Seriously? 1 week at a primary school, karate and doing NCS is enough? thats all what i have actually done so far.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever worked a Saturday or summer job, it could be in retail or administration or hairdressing for all they care, what it shows is that you have a work ethic past your studies, know how to form part of a team and genuinely enjoy working with people / dealing with customers.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about it being solely health-related because they are trying to level the playing field. Lots of applicants out there with doctor/nurse parents who can pull the right strings and get them shadowing opportunities. Not everybody has that advantage.

There are some medical schools where absolute caring experience is necessary for example Liverpool and Keele. If I were you I would shortlist my ideal 4 medical schools and consider how important the type and duration of work experience is to them. If you don't feel confident then really focus on your grades and take a gap year working as a HCA or a carer. With top grades and that kind of experience you will have your pick at any of them.

ReputationRep:
    You could always write the things you're planning on doing in your personal statement. You don't really necessary need anything working with patients- merely something working with people. Think back to anything you've done where you've talked to and been around people of different ages etc.
    Also for future reference I wouldn't rely on school to organise volunteering and work experience for you

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? 1 week at a primary school, karate and doing NCS is enough? thats all what i have actually done so far.
    Along with what you're planning, yeah.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.