The Student Room Group

gp doesnt have any MenACWY vaccines

I'm going to uni in a week and called up my GP to get the vaccine, but apparently they only get given 5 a week and so they have a VERY long waiting list. They suggested I just register with a doctor near my accommodation and get it then.

1) how soon can I register, can I do it the day on/after moving in?
2) am I at high risk, because i'll be in London and in freshers week
3) Do I need to be careful, i.e. avoid going out in London until I get vaccinated?

thanks!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to uni in a week and called up my GP to get the vaccine, but apparently they only get given 5 a week and so they have a VERY long waiting list. They suggested I just register with a doctor near my accommodation and get it then.

3) Do I need to be careful, i.e. avoid going out in London until I get vaccinated?

thanks!

You can register as soon as you move in and then book an appointment for as soon as you can. You're at higher risk than normal, what with going to uni and everything, but hopefully pretty much everyone else will have gotten their vaccines already so there won't be too high a risk. You don't need to avoid going out though. Just get it as soon as you can :smile:
Have a look on the website for your universities GP, sometimes they will have forms you can fill out for registering. If you do that now all you have to do it hand the forms in and it should speed up the process. When you go in to register just explain the situation and they should be able to book you an appointment with a nurse to get it done as soon as possible.

I go to a central London uni and one of my friends hasn't had the vaccination and she's always been fine (and she goes out a lot!). University students are just at a higher risk of getting infected, but it's still very, very uncommon. Get it sorted as soon as you can just to be safe, but still go out and enjoy yourself :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

thanks!

I could register at my uni as soon as I was accepted (it was part of the paperwork). For a full registration you need proof of address so can do it as soon as you have that. For temp you can do it at any time and it lasts 3 months- no proof of address needed- so that could be a good option if you want to rush things. Usually it only takes a coupe of days, but with so many people registering at the same time it can take longer. I would suggest phoning where you would register and seeing what they can do.
I wouldn't be too worried about going to London or freshers week or anything. It increases your risk a bit but i'm sure it's not too much. Ask your doctor if you're worried though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks everyone :smile:

I really didn't want to take a risk so I booked a session with a private clinic (bye-bye whiskey money for a few weeks)!

Quick Reply

Latest