Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am just wondering how much you personally budgeted per week when you were at university to give me an idea of what people spent (not including accommodation/bills). I realise this varies with what uni you go to / how much you go out, but what did you spend weekly (roughly) personally? Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I've budgeted £50 a week for this year

ReputationRep:
    £30 a week and I stuck to it really well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Hull-
    £20/week food
    £15/night out
    Plus occasional extras like birthdays and meals out. So I tend to budget £50/week

ReputationRep:
    If we're talking purely non-essentials then I'm budgeting about £30 week in term and £20 out.

ReputationRep:
    I've budgeted 100 pounds a week for going out and other stuff because I'm in catered accommodation. Is that too much? Ive worked that out according to my maintenance loan, maybe I need to re think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    I've budgeted 100 pounds a week for going out and other stuff because I'm in catered accommodation. Is that too much? Ive worked that out according to my maintenance loan, maybe I need to re think
    ...yeah that's rather a lot after food, heck that's a lot with food. Honestly if you've got that much you might as well not budget unless you've got something to save for.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by may_1)
    As mentioned, that's tons of money even if you're buying food, with catered halls it's absolutely tons.

You'd be better limiting yourself to, say, £40 a week and making a good amount of savings. Many people live on £40 a week buying food also. You could easily go out clubbing 2/3 times a week, maybe even go for a meal/takeaway as well on £40 and save £60 a week. £100 is just too much for a normal lifestyle unless you're some rich person used to fancy parties and fine dining or whatever. But for normal students it's too much really.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the maths and I'm gonna have £50 per week but realistically I don't want to spend over £15 as would like to save as much as possible so I can buy a car next summer

Extra info : I have catered halls which even includes money for lunch every day and I'm getting the Max student loan

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for about £60 a week with double that for the first 3 weeks and maybe near christmas etc.

ReputationRep:
    As I don't have to worry about accommodation costs I've managed to budget for around £120 a week with a generous amount of savings on top of it. That's likely a lot more than I'd ever need but I've made a system where any money I don't use I can either roll over to the next month or put back into another, more savings-focused bank account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jess_12)
    I am just wondering how much you personally budgeted per week when you were at university to give me an idea of what people spent (not including accommodation/bills). I realise this varies with what uni you go to / how much you go out, but what did you spend weekly (roughly) personally? Thanks!
    I spent about £70/week in total on average over 3 years. I probably spent about £35-50 on food and the rest on clothes, nights out, random stuff on amazon/ebay. Also remember you will need to buy books, gym membership, society and sports club memberships at the start of the year.

I'm on year abroad this year and will be spending about £120 a week haha, so count your self lucky
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    ~£60-80/week. Actual money I'll have is £120-130/week

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jess_12)
    Hello ,

In my First Year I budgeted £80 a week to spend on shopping and leisure etc.
    In my Second Year I budgeted £30 a week to spend on shopping and leisure etc.

Always plan your finances ahead - as soon as you've found out your SF.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Most Freshers I know go by the following formula:

Planned: £50 per week

Actual: £500 freshers week, £200 second week, £5/week thereafter until loan happens.

ReputationRep:
    10 pound per week on food. cause im a male, i dont spend no money at all on clothes (just wear the regular jeans and shirt , t-shirts etc). i dont spend alot of money on clothes unlike other men.

one of my friends budgets way better then me and he saved up alot of money to buy himself a new corsa 2016. he spent 5 pound a week on food and literraly no money after that. he only spent necassary stuff like educational purposes.

most freshers will spend alot of money and alot of night parties, ive seen it before and will see it again probably. <<< a job could compensate that. i would use the maintainence funds for educational purposes only and the salary you get for social stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Currently, I'm probably going to be doing full time work for the next two months so that's £255 a week. My rent is £425 a month all included. So just to keep the number smaller, I'll say 4 weeks a month. So that's roughly £600 a month I'll have extra. This time I'll divide by 5 to get the smallest number again:- That's 119 a week. Pretty solid.

The issue is my contact's up in November, so I need padding. By my maths, I can earn £1645 by the time my contracts up, minusing food. I go through 2 rents in that time, so that's 795 left over. So I'll be just short of being able to pay my January and December rents by tthe time the contracts up, giving me a bit of leeway.

Plus I'ma drink a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Budget £50 p/w
    Income £150 p/w (loan & grant, excluding employment)
    Job £40-120 p/w (1-3 days)

I don't drink or smoke but I pretty much exclusively eat meat so that's a bit expensive. Also go to the movies every release and frequent other activities like paint balling and stuff.

Admittedly I do spend a lot on clothes. I don't buy them frequently though and my expensive staff lasts outright 3-4x longer than cheap stuff, as well as looking, feeling and being better quality I don't think I'll change my habits. Obviously loungeware is whatever is comfy n cheap.

I would be saving up for driving lessons and a car too, but won't purchase a car until I've left as its too much hassle in my uni city.

Aside from that if I go low on funds I have a 1k overdraft, then a 0.5k credit card, then I could just ask my parents. Though my family income is less than 30k, my mum alone could contribute £30 p/w + but obviously I outright refuse - this is what makes me mad seeing families earning £60k+ and students complaining both of their parents can't put in £20 a week, what a load of ****.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to work out after costs such as food, phone, and the odd bits like shampoo and such, I'm stuck with around £65 a week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.