Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am so confused whether to do AS physics or not. I didn't really enjoy it at GCSE but I think that was down to my teacher. I was happy with my GCSE grade and the college that I am joining has really good grades for physics. I am worried if I will be able to cope? Please may I have any advice on AS physics eg any top tips.

Thank you,

GG16

ReputationRep:
    I would say only take it if you do AS Maths alongside it. I made that mistake last year and ended up with a U. But it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GG16)
    Hi,

I am so confused whether to do AS physics or not. I didn't really enjoy it at GCSE but I think that was down to my teacher. I was happy with my GCSE grade and the college that I am joining has really good grades for physics. I am worried if I will be able to cope? Please may I have any advice on AS physics eg any top tips.

Thank you,

GG16
    Think about whether you NEED physics for your chosen uni course ?
    Do you need physics or would you be better of picking another ' easier ' subject where you'll be more likely to get the A/A* grades, as unfortunately physics is a very time consuming subject which could hinder your performance in other subjects in order to make sure you get a good grade !

It seems the college has a good track record for physics yet this says nothing about how well you'll do at it .

Physics alevel is a different game between GCSE and this is the same for all the sciences so please don't just pick it cause you got a decent grade for GCSE.

Pick subjects you think you can do well in, rather than subjects that look ' good ' as most courses except physics degrees won't specific physics in their entry requirements

If you're still not sure please speak to someone at your school and ask whether you can try out the subject for a few weeks before making up your mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayokay)
    I would say only take it if you do AS Maths alongside it. I made that mistake last year and ended up with a U. But it's up to you.
    Someone I know got an A in alevel physics without doing AS maths haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayokay)
    Thank you I am doing Maths A level and Further Maths so hopefully this will work out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Think about whether you NEED physics for your chosen uni course ?
    Do you need physics or would you be better of picking another ' easier ' subject where you'll be more likely to get the A/A* grades, as unfortunately physics is a very time consuming subject which could hinder your performance in other subjects in order to make sure you get a good grade !

It seems the college has a good track record for physics yet this says nothing about how well you'll do at it .

Physics alevel is a different game between GCSE and this is the same for all the sciences so please don't just pick it cause you got a decent grade for GCSE.

Pick subjects you think you can do well in, rather than subjects that look ' good ' as most courses except physics degrees won't specific physics in their entry requirements

If you're still not sure please speak to someone at your school and ask whether you can try out the subject for a few weeks before making up your mind
    I really don't know what I'd like to do at uni so I am trying to broaden my options, I am doing Maths Further Maths Chemistry and History. However, I don't sit my Further Maths till next year. These options that I have 100% chosen are my favourites and I am doing them for that reason only. Whereas physics is more of a less enjoyable one. When I look at the content for AS physics it looks ok but the bridging work doesn't seem good.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't enjoy GCSE Physics, but I took AS Physics anyway. Didn't enjoy that either, and dropped it after AS results. Take the subjects you know you'll enjoy, or else every lesson will be a slog.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't enjoy physics, then don't pick it for A-level. I recommend you find an online copy of the syllabus you'll be doing and have a think about whether or not you'll enjoy studying it. Also:

Is it something that you'd like to read about in your spare time?
    Do you need it for your future career/university course?

If the answers are no, then you probably won't enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GG16)
    I really don't know what I'd like to do at uni so I am trying to broaden my options, I am doing Maths Further Maths Chemistry and History. However, I don't sit my Further Maths till next year. These options that I have 100% chosen are my favourites and I am doing them for that reason only. Whereas physics is more of a less enjoyable one. When I look at the content for AS physics it looks ok but the bridging work doesn't seem good.
    Right my advice : don't pick physics. Maths and further maths are excellent choices and you can't go wrong with them and so are history and chemistry and don't limit your options .

Please don't waste your time doing physics when you know deep down you don't like it that much compared to your other subjects .

I made the mistake in year 12 of picking 5 subjects including biology and chemistry and never really wanted to do them but as I had good GCSE science grades I thought I would do well regardless but I ended up quitting chemistry within 2 weeks and quit biology after getting a U in the January mocks. Please don't do physics as the chances are you'll regret it later down the line given you've already picked your favourites 👍

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    If you don't enjoy physics, then don't pick it for A-level. I recommend you find an online copy of the syllabus you'll be doing and have a think about whether or not you'll enjoy studying it. Also:

Is it something that you'd like to read about in your spare time?
    Do you need it for your future career/university course?

If the answers are no, then you probably won't enjoy it.
    Thank you I will definitely do that, in fact I just had a look and the course looks alright I think my issue is that I can't then apply it to the questions but hopefully with practise that could be resolved. Also because I am doing maths the M1 links with the physics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.