Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to dentistry for the 2017 entry but got really bad AS results (CCDD)
    Im going to re-take some papers so i can hopefully boost up my grades to A's. (I got grade A in some papers and a range of bad grades in the other ones). Im taking my A-levels this year and will try my best to get A*. Im also going to do my UKCAT next week. I have work experience.

Will any universities even accept me this year? What do i need to do in order to be accepted into dentistry or even biomedicine?

ReputationRep:
    i know dentistry, like medicine is pretty strict on resits and its honestly unlikely your going to get any offers if you apply this year.

Just to share with you my story, because I was in a very similar situation to you.

I got ABCD in my AS levels (D in chemistry) and i still wanted to do medicine. I had a 'party' year in year 12 and it was a big change from having just achieved 11 A*'s in my gcses.

Because I was sure I wanted to apply to medicine, and because I knew it was unlikely i was going to get my teachers to predict me up from a D, I just didn't apply to uni at all in year 13, with the intention of applying during my gap year. None of my teachers believed in me and odds were entirely against me.

I got A*AA at A2, and ended up doing like 8 resit papers too which was grim, especially as it was alongside all my A2 exams, but of course it was totally worth it.

I took a year out and got a job as a healthcare assistant for the year in a doctors surgery, applied to uni, and got into med school and now Im starting in september.

Do not give up- I would consider maybe planning a gap year like I have- its been the best thing I've ever done. It also gave me the opportunity to do camp america which I never would have done if I hadn't taken a gap year, and that has been one of the best experiences of my life .

Remember things happen for a reason good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by may_1)
    i know dentistry, like medicine is pretty strict on resits and its honestly unlikely your going to get any offers if you apply this year.

Just to share with you my story, because I was in a very similar situation to you.

I got ABCD in my AS levels (D in chemistry) and i still wanted to do medicine. I had a 'party' year in year 12 and it was a big change from having just achieved 11 A*'s in my gcses.

Because I was sure I wanted to apply to medicine, and because I knew it was unlikely i was going to get my teachers to predict me up from a D, I just didn't apply to uni at all in year 13, with the intention of applying during my gap year. None of my teachers believed in me and odds were entirely against me.

I got A*AA at A2, and ended up doing like 8 resit papers too which was grim, especially as it was alongside all my A2 exams, but of course it was totally worth it.

I took a year out and got a job as a healthcare assistant for the year in a doctors surgery, applied to uni, and got into med school and now Im starting in september.

Do not give up- I would consider maybe planning a gap year like I have- its been the best thing I've ever done. It also gave me the opportunity to do camp america which I never would have done if I hadn't taken a gap year, and that has been one of the best experiences of my life .

Remember things happen for a reason good luck x

Thank you for sharing! it was really helpful. Maybe i'll take a gap year and work during that year??

ReputationRep:
    It is a lot easier to get good grades if in your subjects you got a bad grade overall after totally failing a few modules but you still did well in some because you have so many more marks to gain in the resists than if you got an averagely poor mark in all your modules, so I wouldn't worry too much if you have the drive to do better this year.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=may_1;67447410]i know dentistry, like medicine is pretty strict on resits and its honestly unlikely your going to get any offers if you apply this year.

Just to share with you my story, because I was in a

Remember things happen for a reason good luck

Hey when did you apply to uni, straight after your results? After the summer holiday at the start of your gap? In the middle of your gap? Could you give me the mounth and time pls? Thankyou glad it worked for you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.