Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

court case - need some law advice - lawers and cops needed!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi there, i have a prob that i need to solve and i need some advice and help as soon as possible and as fast as possible

well this is how it all started, i was on a scoter that my mate was riding, i never actually had a helmet and because of that i was pulled over by the cops, so they told me ill have a cort caase and that i will have to pay approx 1000!!!, i said to myself thats ******** man , i aint guna pay that much for that.

my question is, what can they actually do to a person in my situation who has a clean record and hasnt really been involved that much with the police. my excuse can be realted to be health, firstly i can prove that i had a serious anle injury which can prevent me for walkin long distance which can be proved by a DR (i was approx 2 miles from home from where they caught me) and i also wasnt fellin to well the past few days which also can be proved by a DR as high blood pressure, so will that be to my benefit in any chance.

id like to ask any1 who can help me in this situation to do so please, as i will be greatful, especailly if it was from some1 who keows the law, u can either pm me or send throught public.
    thx.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm quite sure the magistraites won't take you seriously with that.

The law regarding wearing helmets is serious, and it's there for your safety.

If £1000 is the top fine then go to court expecting to pay up to £1000.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you just wear a helmet?

If they do take you to court, thats what they'll argue.

Sorry i don't have any constructive advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm quite sure the magistraites won't take you seriously with that.

The law regarding wearing helmets is serious, and it's there for your safety.

If £1000 is the top fine then go to court expecting to pay up to £1000.
    dont you think thats a bit too harsh to say the lesat, i mean i saw once on the telly the two kids (bout 16/17) both of them never wore helmets and they were just cautioned!!! and me pay 1000 quid fine, that aint happenin.

ReputationRep:
    Escape from the country..:Plol

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it the owner of the motorcycle's responsibility to ensure that any passengers are wearing a helmet as he's the one whose insurance company would have to pay out?

ReputationRep:
    you broke the law, it's a simple fact you will have to pay the fine. Your ill health excuses won't wash, in fact may even go against you - were you in a fit state to ride even as a pillion passenger? And how did you get 2 miles from home with an ankle injury?

Best thing to do is say how sorry you are, that it will never happen again etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    lol - they'll laugh you out of court with that excuse.

"I had a sore ankle and high blood pressure" - uh huh, now why didn't you wear the helmet?

You'll need to come up with something better than that mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Why didn't you just wear a helmet?

If they do take you to court, thats what they'll argue.

Sorry i don't have any constructive advice.
    well, its cuz i never had one at theat moment. and by the way i had a injured ankle so i just couldnt go walkin all the way, i mean what is the big hassel with not weartin helmits???!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Isn't it the owner of the motorcycle's responsibility to ensure that any passengers are wearing a helmet as he's the one whose insurance company would have to pay out?
    not if the rider is an adult i think :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree. The courts will almost certainly say why did you not wear one on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sniper999)
    well, its cuz i never had one at theat moment. and by the way i had a injured ankle so i just couldnt go walkin all the way, i mean what is the big hassel with not weartin helmits???!
    Go and ask someone who didn't wear a helmet, had an accident and has brain damaged. Or even better, go down to your local cemetery or look at statistics for numbers of deaths for people not wearing helmets. If you really need to ask maybe i knock on the head would do you some good!

ReputationRep:
    dont you think thats a bit too harsh to say the lesat, i mean i saw once on the telly the two kids (bout 16/17) both of them never wore helmets and they were just cautioned!!! and me pay 1000 quid fine, that aint happenin.
    No, not really. They should have got more than a caution too, yes. But that's irrelevant.

Pay the fine you get (which'll probably be nowhere near as much as that, unless you make silly excuses).

Just becuase you couldn't walk doesn'y mean you couldn't have got the bus, a cab, etc. Any way which would have meant you didn't break the law.

ReputationRep:
    i mean what is the big hassel with not weartin helmits???!
    Please tell me you're joking.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also have a problem, but hopefully this one will be easier-

I was a passenger in a car accident a few months ago. A week or so I got a letter from the drivers solicitor, asking for a copy of my statement and so on. The problem is that the date of the trial (to take place in Inverness in October) is two weeks into my first term of university, when all going well I'll be in Oxford. This would mean a 3-day round trip of 600-odd miles each way and is time I really can't afford to miss. I tried the local police station, but all they said was that if I was called and didn't turn up then they could arrest me, which is useless. Where do I stand?

Mod Expression - Language

ReputationRep:
    not if the rider is an adult i think :confused:
    Say you weren't aware of the law and your friend didn't offer you a helmet - putting the liability on to him. (That's if he's not a good friend)

ReputationRep:
    Because you have no previous offences - your best chance will probably be a lesser fine. (depends if the fine is a set penalty or not - you know what I mean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Say you weren't aware of the law and your friend didn't offer you a helmet - putting the liability on to him. (That's if he's not a good friend)
    Ignorance of the law is no defence in this country.

ReputationRep:
    I believe your best bet would be to:

* Accept that it was unacceptable to not wear the helmet whilst riding on the scooter.

* Admit that the rules are correct and should be as they are - in other words recognise the fact that the rules are in place for valid reasons.

* Apologise for wasting the courts time and stress that it's the first time you have been involved with the police and courts system and most certainly will be the last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I also have a problem, but hopefully this one will be easier-

I was a passenger in a car accident a few months ago. A week or so I got a letter from the drivers solicitor, asking for a copy of my statement and so on. The problem is that the date of the trial (to take place in Inverness in October) is two weeks into my first term of university, when all going well I'll be in Oxford. This would mean a 3-day round trip of 600-odd miles each way and is time I really can't afford to miss. I tried the local police station, but all they said was that if I was called and didn't turn up then they could arrest me, which is useless. Where do I stand?
    have you got a solicitor? if not write to the clerk of the court, explain the situuation and ask for a more convenient date, say you are willing to come before term starts, the worst then can say is no.

Mod Expression - Language

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.