Turn on thread page Beta

court case - need some law advice - lawers and cops needed!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayley...)
    No, not really. They should have got more than a caution too, yes. But that's irrelevant.

Pay the fine you get (which'll probably be nowhere near as much as that, unless you make silly excuses).

Just becuase you couldn't walk doesn'y mean you couldn't have got the bus, a cab, etc. Any way which would have meant you didn't break the law.
    i was broke!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    no people generaly don't die from an injured ankle and it is no excuse for not having a helmet.
    Indeed, I personally wouldn't buy your excuse for sh*t if I was a magistrate. As has been mentioned previously, you are better off telling the truth. Do you now have a criminal record? A £1000 fine is *very* steep, should you 'fess up and apologise profusely, I can't see them fining you too much in excess of £100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Cheers, I'll speak to the drivers solicitor since this is the only contact I've got so far and ask them to either arrange it for me or get the court's contact details.
    get your own solicitor as well, believe me you are going to need one.

BTW good luck with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sniper999)
    i was broke!

Please post the court date and location on here.

I'd love to come and watch you take this attitude with the magistrates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Say you weren't aware of the law and your friend didn't offer you a helmet - putting the liability on to him. (That's if he's not a good friend)
    i wont do that if he was a stranger, i hate putting the blame on ppl other thatn myself

ReputationRep:
    I may be a little slow here, but I'm beginning to think he's taking the piss.

At least I hope he is.

ReputationRep:
    i wont do that if he was a stranger, i hate putting the blame on ppl other thatn myself
    you seem to be doing a bloody good job of "it wasn't my fault"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Misbah Imtiaz)
    Because you have no previous offences - your best chance will probably be a lesser fine. (depends if the fine is a set penalty or not - you know what I mean)
    soz mate, but i dnt no **** about the law, i mean its updated every now and then and i aint bothered to keep up with it to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    Cheers, I'll speak to the drivers solicitor since this is the only contact I've got so far and ask them to either arrange it for me or get the court's contact details.
    You mentioned that you were the passenger. Am I correct in assuming that you are only a witness, not a defendant yourself?

If you have to go then yes, you have to go. Contempt of Court is a serious offence, and Oxford have the following rule in place

(Original post by Oxford Proctors Office)
    If a student member has been convicted of a criminal offence of such seriousness that an immediate term of imprisonment might have been imposed (and whether or not such a sentence was in fact imposed on the student member) the Proctors shall refer the matter to the Disciplinary Court which may, if it thinks fit and in accordance with regulations made under section 29 of this statute, expel the student member from his or her membership of the University or impose such lesser penalty as it thinks fit.
    As has been stated Contempt of Court can result in a custodial sentence, and so the Proctors would most likely seek your expulsion from the university.

Speak to your college. If you are indeed only a witness then they have to treat things sympathetically, as you are not at fault. I believe that your expenses will be covered as well. Annoying it may be, but you would jeapordise far more by not showing up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Franz Ferdinand)
    I believe your best bet would be to:

* Accept that it was unacceptable to not wear the helmet whilst riding on the scooter.

* Admit that the rules are correct and should be as they are - in other words recognise the fact that the rules are in place for valid reasons.

* Apologise for wasting the courts time and stress that it's the first time you have been involved with the police and courts system and most certainly will be the last.
    and accept a 1000 quid fine, i dnt think so, i mean thats still be plain basic, u need to challange the law, give out some laws yourself, **** like that, u get me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)

Can i come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    become a sikh - they are exempt from this law as they must wear a turban
    lol, i wouldnt trade this world for my religion so sorry mate, good thinkin thou

ReputationRep:
    and accept a 1000 quid fine, i dnt think so, i mean thats still be plain basic, u need to challange the law, give out some laws yourself, **** like that, u get me
    If you weren't going to listen to the advice then why bother asking? Like I said, it's like talking to a brick wall.

And, as asked before by sashh, please can you tell us when and where..?

ReputationRep:
    It'lll be the magistraites... No jury.

The best course of action is to hold up your hands and take full responsibility. The only way you'll risk the full £1000 fine in this case is by doing anything else. Sob stories and pitiful excuses won't work.
    oh . ok so when do you and dont you have jurys, and what a magistraites, i no i may sound stupid but i surely have to admit i know know anything about the law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)

lol, its urg, well urg....... i aint got a clue mate. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    you seem to be doing a bloody good job of "it wasn't my fault"
    well, it was but it wasnt, if you get what i mean, i wasa breakin the law but iu had to in order to get home safley (he said ironically ). i dnt no what to do :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I may be a little slow here, but I'm beginning to think he's taking the piss.

At least I hope he is.
    i aint, its just that i dnt wana be fined!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you weren't going to listen to the advice then why bother asking? Like I said, it's like talking to a brick wall.

And, as asked before by sashh, please can you tell us when and where..?
    i am tryin to listen to all the views, im tryin to evaluate it all in my head, and see whats the best thing to do. and as for where and when, well can the public come and watch???

ReputationRep:
    i aint, its just that i dnt wana be fined!!!
    But there is no way that you'll be cleared of the crime. So that means you will be punished, most likely with a fine.

The only option is damage limitation. Just say sorry and you'll get a small fine.

Try and rant about the crap you've mentioned in this thread and you'll get a big fine. It's quite simple.

ReputationRep:
    wats the difference between magistrates and the jury courts??

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.