Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there!

I moved from Ireland(republic of, not northern) over the summer. I have got into a school here and they are going to have a meeting with my dad on Friday whether I should go into year 10 or year 11.

Ive talked to the school and they personally believe I should go into year 10. I dont know how thr GCSEs are and I dont want to medd them up so spending another year is probably worth it.

What would you suggest? I just need opinions here, I've got not clue what the GCSEs are about and if they're similar to thr Junior Cert.

I am currently 15(04/10/2001). U am aiming for 5 As and atleast a C in English for Computer Science in Uni.

I've also heard rhey are changing the GCSEs for year 10s, ehat different?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with what the school are saying. They know what they're talking about and if they're suggesting you go into year 10 they're doing it for a reason. Yes, they are changing the GCSEs. If you went into year 11 this year you would be taking 9-1 for English and Maths and A*-G for other subjects (and you've already missed a year of teaching and coursework). If you go into year 10 you will be doing 9-1 for all. Another good reason to opt for year 10. Take your time and get it right the first time, then there will be no need for re-sits. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clemm101)
    I would agree with what the school are saying. They know what they're talking about and if they're suggesting you go into year 10 they're doing it for a reason. Yes, they are changing the GCSEs. If you went into year 11 this year you would be taking 9-1 for English and Maths and A*-G for other subjects (and you've already missed a year of teaching and coursework). If you go into year 10 you will be doing 9-1 for all. Another good reason to opt for year 10. Take your time and get it right the first time, then there will be no need for re-sits. Good luck.
    Thanks! So is thr new system better. Is there anything else new? The coursework? Or just the grading systems changed. And how does the new grading system have an advantage over the older one?

I will probably tell me da to say year 10.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome. Mostly there's no coursework and yes, courses have changed along with the grading system. The grading system is more or less the same as A*-G, it's just a little finer. A 9 is sort of like an A** and a 1 like a G. Ask your school which exam boards they use and then you can download the specifications from their websites. This will give you an idea of what you'll be studying.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.