Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A sequence is defined by the iterative formula  a_{n+1}= 11-\frac{30}{a_n} where  n\geq 0 and  a_0 > 0 .
    Find the values of  p and  q such that if  p<a_0 < q then the sequence is strictly increasing.
    Find the limit  L of the sequence as  n \rightarrow \infty prove that  a_n < L for all  n\geq 0 .

This seems to be quite and awkward question and not too easy to go about it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ano123)
    A sequence is defined by the iterative formula  a_{n+1}= 11-\frac{30}{a_n} where  n\geq 0 and  a_0 > 0 .
    Find the values of  m and  n such that if  m<a_0 < n then the sequence is strictly increasing.
    Find the limit  L of the sequence as  n \rightarrow \infty prove that  a_n < L for all  n\geq 0 .

What have you tried?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    What have you tried?
    Just replace all the  a terms with L and solve for L. But this doesn't prove that L exists. The proof is the most difficult bit. Any pointers?

ReputationRep:
    Just replace all the  a terms with L and solve for L. But this doesn't prove that L exists. The proof is the most difficult bit. Any pointers?
    An increasing sequence bounded above must converge.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not sure. I'm finding contradictions with that one. Since the limit is 6, it is usually approached from above it rather than below it regardless of whether a_0 is 0<a_0<\frac{30}{11} or a_0>\frac{30}{11}. I'm not too great at these so I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Find the values of  p and  q such that if  p<a_0 < q then the sequence is strictly increasing.

Drawing graphs of y=11-30/x and y=x may help - have you come across cobwebbing?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. I'm finding contradictions with that one. Since the limit is 6, it is usually approached from above it rather than below it regardless of whether a_0 is 0<a_0<\frac{30}{11} or a_0>\frac{30}{11}. I'm not too great at these so I could be wrong.
    The sequence is constant for both 5 and 6
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I haven't actually written anything down or worked it through properly but I suspect they are p and q, and you're supposed to take a0 as between them for that final limit part, in which case it would be strictly increasing but never exceed 6, else you could just make a0 10^10^10^10^G64 and the only sensible L would be 11, which is clearly not the case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    An increasing sequence bounded above must converge.
    How do you prove that the sequence converges? I have shown that if  5<a_n < 6 the sequence is increasing. How would I prove that  a_n < 6 \ \forall n ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    The sequence is constant for both 5 and 6
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I haven't actually written anything down or worked it through properly but I suspect they are p and q, and you're supposed to take a0 as between them for that final limit part, in which case it would be strictly increasing but never exceed 6
    Yeah you're right, I was thinking about it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're right, I was thinking about it wrong.
    The question isn't as clear as it could be

ReputationRep:
    How do you prove that the sequence converges? I have shown that if  5<a_n < 6 the sequence is increasing. How would I prove that  a_n < 6 \ \forall n ?
    You don't have to prove that a_n < 6 necessarily. Your upper bound does not have to be your limit, it could be anything so long as a_n is always less than or equal to it.

ReputationRep:
    As above, with what 16Characters said, but also: induction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    As above, with what 16Characters said, but also: induction.
    I tried to use induction but the argument seemed quite weak.
    I said that if  a_n <6
     \Rightarrow \frac{1}{a_n} > \frac{1}{6}

\Rightarrow \frac{30}{a_n}  > 5
     \Rightarrow -\frac{30}{a_n} < -5
     \Rightarrow 11-\frac{30}{a_n} < 6
     \Rightarrow a_{n+1} < 6 .
    We know that  a_0 < 6 so  a_{n} < 6 \ \forall n .

Is this really a sufficient proof?

ReputationRep:
    What was your argument?

ReputationRep:
    Really? Pops out in a line for me: a_n < 6 \Rightarrow a_{n+1} = 11 - \frac{30}{a_n} < 11 - \frac{30}{6} = 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    What was your argument?
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Really? Pops out in a line for me: a_n < 6 \Rightarrow a_{n+1} = 11 - \frac{30}{a_n} < 11 - \frac{30}{6} = 6.
    Is what I put above ok?

ReputationRep:
    Is what I put above ok?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Is what I put above ok?
    Yes, that's what I did. Why d'you think it's not okay?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 7, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.