Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

IB advice for medicine! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So I'm currently 4 weeks into IB, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I'm looking to take a medicine course in University, and these are my subjects:
    HL - Economics, Biology, Chemistry
    SL - Maths, French AB Initio, Lang & Lit

I'm looking to possibly go to a uni in the uk or us. Are there any tips for what would be impressive for a potential medicine student in a good university? along with the ideal ib score and also how i can do well in these subjects.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Your subject combination looks good.

Ideal IB score is definitely as close to 45 as possible, especially if you're going for Medicine. Anything between 42-45 is impressive enough, but generally you want to stay above 40s. Doesn't mean you can't apply with other scores, just means it'll be a little harder and you'll have to work really hard on your BMAT/UKCAT/SAT/portfolio/interviews. You definitely need 7s for Biology and Chemistry, and a 7 for your last HL subject will be a plus. Do work hard on your Lang Lit and French if they are new to you. It is entirely reasonable to get a 6 for both, but because you're applying for Medicine, you do want as many 7s as you can get.

Do try to get medical/clinic/hospital attachments if you can. During your holidays or other breaks. Most of the time you'll just be job-shadowing/observing and not doing anything, but these experiences will help you to glean a better understanding of the medicine world. They will help you reflect on your decision to do medicine, and make sure it is truly what you want. Also, they are good to show that you have made the effort to learn more about this field, which you can share about in your Personal Statement and Interviews.

Apart from your IB Score, the second thing UK unis get is your BMAT/UKCAT scores and Personal Statement. Needless to say, study hard for BMAT/UKCAT. For your personal statement, one thing i can say is start early, and give yourself time to reflect, reflect, reflect. Write something personal to you, and why you truly have to do medicine. As I mentioned, previous experience in the field will help to illustrate your passion and what you have done to learn more. Another point I would advise is not to include any of your flaws in your PS just to seem more "rounded". You should be selling yourself. Don't give the admissions team any opportunity to turn you away. Don't over-sell yourself of course. Be genuine. Be yourself. Be humble.

Once you get to the interview, as the usual advice goes, just be yourself. Be as friendly and nice as you can of course, but don't try to portray a character you're not. The interviewers will see through facades fast. The reason why the university has called you to an interview is because they are interested in you and your potential to be a doctor. They are interested in you as you are. Put on your best game face, showcase your best qualities, be polite, and thank your interviewers.

Also, if you think you're still not where you want to be in terms of interview skills or social skills, you can start developing them now too. It's true that you should be yourself, but you can improve in certain areas as well. Put in an effort to improve yourself. You have time.

With regards to subjects and studying, I'll direct you to my post on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=47404148. It's a little dated, so take it with a pinch of salt, but it should work. I haven't done Econs/French/LangLit before, so I can't advice you on those subjects.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

ReputationRep:
    This is amazing! Thank you so much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neeharika22)
    Hey guys,

So I'm currently 4 weeks into IB, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me. I'm looking to take a medicine course in University, and these are my subjects:

I'm looking to possibly go to a uni in the uk or us. Are there any tips for what would be impressive for a potential medicine student in a good university? along with the ideal ib score and also how i can do well in these subjects.

Thanks!
    Hey! I do the IB too and I just applied to do Medicine last week (I'm in Year 13). I do:

HL Biology
    HL Chemistry
    HL History
    SL Maths
    SL French ab initio
    SL English Lit A

I think that your subject choices are really good. I would say that if you're doing Maths Standard Level you should probably drop because you really don't need it (but check uni websites first) and it is just extra work that you don't need when you'll be stressed out (at least for me). Also, I know that UCL like it when the 3rd higher is a humanities so you're in a good position

With Medicine, the highest point score asked for is 41 points (Cambridge) but the average scores are between 36-38 points. What will definitely help you is if by the end of Year 12 Chemistry is a level 6 or 7, and that Biology is at a 6 too. As for Economics, a 5 or a 6 would be fine because if unis do look at the 3rd higher, they say usually say 665, 666 and the very rare 766/776 (Oxbridge and UCL). Also, try and aim for 3 core points from TOK and EE because that really boosts your overall point score.

To do well in Chemistry, I definitely think that past questions and lots of practice are they key, and watching youtube videos on anything you don't understand may also help. What has helped me is reading over the more difficult stuff again after class and practising some questions, so that I don't forget. I think that to get a 7 in Chemistry, as long as you understand Moles, Organic Chemistry and Bonding you will be fine, but if not don't panic-the main reason people don't do well in Chem is because of fear, ngl

As for Biology, most of it is literally memorising. Because its such a long subject, as long as you revise as you go through the course, you should be fine for exams. Also practising Data Analysis and lots of essay qs for Paper 2 will boost your grade a lot.

If you want to apply to Medicine courses that put a lot of emphasis on science (like Oxbridge and Imperial) then I think that doing an EE on Biology would be helpful because its really good to talk about in personal statement and interview. However Biology EE is VERY TIME CONSUMING because you have to do an experiment for most questions, and imagine an experiment for a 4,000 word essay. So, unis would probably prefer it if you could talk about something you're passionate about instead.

Also, CAS will help you in your application because unis want to see that you're well rounded and have ways to relax. So doing a variety of things for CAS, or staying committed to a couple of things will really help you out in that aspect. Work experience is also very good to have, and it doesn't actually have to be in a hospital-care homes, nursing homes etc look even better. The important thing is to show that you are able to reflect on it, so keeping a Work Experience/Volunteering Diary will really help you out for Personal Statement.

Lastly (sorry for such a long post!!), make sure that you have time to relax in Year 12. This way you won't be so stressed out to the point where you can barely function, and you still have a chance to be successful. Yes it's important that you do well, but your mental wellbeing is WAY more important.

Hope this was helpful! Do you have any questions?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! This was super helpful for me and is literally all the information I was looking for, I'm gonna keep all these in mind for sure! I'm wondering what your current grades / achievements are (if this is not too much to ask) and where you're applying so I have a jist of my goals? Thank you tons!

(Original post by fosibs)
    Hey! I do the IB too and I just applied to do Medicine last week (I'm in Year 13). I do:

HL Biology
    HL Chemistry
    HL History
    SL Maths
    SL French ab initio
    SL English Lit A

I think that your subject choices are really good. I would say that if you're doing Maths Standard Level you should probably drop because you really don't need it (but check uni websites first) and it is just extra work that you don't need when you'll be stressed out (at least for me). Also, I know that UCL like it when the 3rd higher is a humanities so you're in a good position

With Medicine, the highest point score asked for is 41 points (Cambridge) but the average scores are between 36-38 points. What will definitely help you is if by the end of Year 12 Chemistry is a level 6 or 7, and that Biology is at a 6 too. As for Economics, a 5 or a 6 would be fine because if unis do look at the 3rd higher, they say usually say 665, 666 and the very rare 766/776 (Oxbridge and UCL). Also, try and aim for 3 core points from TOK and EE because that really boosts your overall point score.

To do well in Chemistry, I definitely think that past questions and lots of practice are they key, and watching youtube videos on anything you don't understand may also help. What has helped me is reading over the more difficult stuff again after class and practising some questions, so that I don't forget. I think that to get a 7 in Chemistry, as long as you understand Moles, Organic Chemistry and Bonding you will be fine, but if not don't panic-the main reason people don't do well in Chem is because of fear, ngl

As for Biology, most of it is literally memorising. Because its such a long subject, as long as you revise as you go through the course, you should be fine for exams. Also practising Data Analysis and lots of essay qs for Paper 2 will boost your grade a lot.

If you want to apply to Medicine courses that put a lot of emphasis on science (like Oxbridge and Imperial) then I think that doing an EE on Biology would be helpful because its really good to talk about in personal statement and interview. However Biology EE is VERY TIME CONSUMING because you have to do an experiment for most questions, and imagine an experiment for a 4,000 word essay. So, unis would probably prefer it if you could talk about something you're passionate about instead.

Also, CAS will help you in your application because unis want to see that you're well rounded and have ways to relax. So doing a variety of things for CAS, or staying committed to a couple of things will really help you out in that aspect. Work experience is also very good to have, and it doesn't actually have to be in a hospital-care homes, nursing homes etc look even better. The important thing is to show that you are able to reflect on it, so keeping a Work Experience/Volunteering Diary will really help you out for Personal Statement.

Lastly (sorry for such a long post!!), make sure that you have time to relax in Year 12. This way you won't be so stressed out to the point where you can barely function, and you still have a chance to be successful. Yes it's important that you do well, but your mental wellbeing is WAY more important.

Hope this was helpful! Do you have any questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neeharika22)
    Hey guys,

Thanks!
    Medicine interviews are hugely about how well you communicate - so the university knows how good you would be at communicating with patients in a hospital context. Therefore this should be something you should work on if it's not one of your strongest points.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.