Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deej)
    That's rubbish.

You cannot go through Clearing without a clearing passport.
    You can't get a clearing passport without going through UCAS.
    Actually it's not rubbish. It's called an RPA (record of prior acceptance) the unis only do it in VERY few cases but it does happen. I process them as part of my job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vithuran)
    Hi there

atm i'm offered ABB from Queen Mary for English Literature.

I'm not happy with that offer, but its all i have, but i think that i am on track to exceed that offer quite a bit.

Lets say i get AAA because god loves me, then how do i try and get into a better uni without waiting an extra year. I was told that i would have to withdraw my application from QM and then go into clearing, but that is kinda risky!

I've scoured the internet for information on this, bt my case seems to be very very unusaul

I beg for help!

vithuran
    In practical terms your only option would be to decline your place at QM and thereby withdraw from UCAS for this year. Even if QM agreed to release you promptly, you would be unlikely in the extreme to turn up anything "better" through Clearing, unless you changed your subject choice completely.

Also, you should consider the fact that AAA grades do not guarantee offers, so re-applying is not a risk-free option, especially in a subject like English Literature. Plenty of people with those grades get rejected by the really competitive unis every year. You would not be the only person with AAA at QM, by any means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddchunlap)
    Once your in clearing, can you apply for unis that are higher then your orginal firm and insurance offers? If your firm and insurance rejected you. For instance, if my orginal offer was 260 and 240. If i apply through clearing for a 280 uni. Is there any chance of getting in?
    So you'd have missed offers for 260/240 points and you want to know if you stand a chance with a 280 place? Well you can try if you like .... depends on the course and the uni but you might get away with it.... but don't count on it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm
    No more replies

ReputationRep:
    they'll release you coz they dont want someone who doesnt want to be there BUT they can take their time, if they take a week EACH to release you you'll miss everything good in clearing especially if you got god grades so you'll be looking at places with less places probably. its a risk if you want to take it

ReputationRep:
    I think if you type this into google there is quite a lot of good information, try something like 'using clearing when having better grades'.

ReputationRep:
    i have read may of the post on the forum but am still very confused. so tomorrow, if the results i get are not what i need to get into my university i should 1st phone both my firm and insurance choices and ask them to accept me. if this fails what do i do?

does clearing begin tomorrow so if both the firm and insurance choices say o we cant accept you, i an start ringing universities and asking them if they will accept me on the courses they have?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's basically it. Pick up a copy of the independant in the morning because that has a list of all the spaces in it apparently. If you're still confused tomorrow then i'm sure your teachers and examinations officer at school will be more than happy to help, IF it comes to that!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jiteshpatel)
    i have read may of the post on the forum but am still very confused. so tomorrow, if the results i get are not what i need to get into my university i should 1st phone both my firm and insurance choices and ask them to accept me. if this fails what do i do?

does clearing begin tomorrow so if both the firm and insurance choices say o we cant accept you, i an start ringing universities and asking them if they will accept me on the courses they have?
    No FIRST check Track to see if either has accepted you with lower grades - no point in clogging up the phone lines when you can find out another way.

If either option on Track is showing as conditional still (ie hasn't changed to unsuccessful or unconditional) then phone them up. If they've changed to unsuccessful then there isn't much point in ringing unless you have something new to tell them (being only a couple of marks off a grade, wondering if they could transfer you onto a different course with lower requirements etc)

ReputationRep:
    Is it only necessary to buy the independent if you're worried about having to go through clearing? I wont have to, as ive already met the grades for my insurance choice...

ReputationRep:
    The vacancies are also on the UCAS Website. If you are happy to go to your insurance, then you don't need to buy it. If you hope to go to your firm, I would buy it in case you decide that you would like to go to a different insurance or change courses altogether.

isn't much point in ringing unless you have something new to tell them (being only a couple of marks off a grade, wondering if they could transfer you onto a different course with lower requirements etc)
    Probably - but I will do it any way as I'm not immune to begging or using any other means necessary to change the Universities mind if I have been unsuccessful in getting into my firm

ReputationRep:
    ok, im sooo nervous just to be clear... If the worst should happen (sob) and i have to enter clearing i will need

The independant
    my results
    my AS results
    my PS
    pen and paper
    phone (+credit)
    phone number of top 2 unis (ready for pleading calls)

is this all?

And this maybe a really dumb question but how do i let a uni know im interested in a place thorugh clearing? If its via phone, how do i get their number?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    ...at 12.01am BST according to the UCAS website. Will all of the vacancies be there from this point in which case??? Anyone remember from last year??? Ah well, if they are it'll keep me amused in my sleeplessness :-) Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it updated "mid-morning".

ReputationRep:
    I believe the OP is referring to the clearing lists

ReputationRep:
    Some of the university websites have already posted their course vacancies. Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds are some I've looked at.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if that's true, results must be available too otherwise what's the point of having clearing vacancies up if people don't have access to their results. They won't know if they have met their offer or not!:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Christ alive...you're right...

It's an advantage espo - it means you can prepare for not meeting your offer, or if you're like me with no offer, find the best places without the mad panic!

Apparently more places appear throughout the day as people reject their insurances etc. - is it worth waiting for these????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodgery)
    Christ alive...you're right...

It's an advantage espo - it means you can prepare for not meeting your offer, or if you're like me with no offer, find the best places without the mad panic!

Apparently more places appear throughout the day as people reject their insurances etc. - is it worth waiting for these????
    just go for what's there at the time - the "best" places tend to go early - you'll drive yourself mad if you start thinking about what *might* have come up if only you'd waited.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.