Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if someone could give me some advice as I am a little worried.

Got my 2 AS results back today from AQA. I already have them certified at a PREVIOUS CENTRE. I resat them at a different centre this June and only received the units I sat in June. My UCI number from my previous centre was on the results slip as well.

I didn't submit one unit for Sociology as I achieved a high grade at my last centre. I did however receive 2 much higher grades in the June 07 exams which I added up from UMS as a middle A grade. But it didn't give me an overall grade or even a grade from my last centre.

English Language was a lower grade than at my last centre but it has added up a new grade for me with the most recent marks, even though I have higher marks for the units at my previous centre. I was told that it wouldn't give me a new grade as they have been certified already.

Is this normal for AS? I'm just really worried. My centre didn't know what to do.

I am planning on taking these both onto A2.

Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Im having to do clearing for a place at Uinversity, but i'm also deferring for a year. Would this affect me getting a place through clearing? Re-applying through UCAS isnt my preferred choice as I'm abroad for the year, and really just cant be assed with the whole process and unsureness of where my future lies.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I dont personally know anyone who has done this. I guess in theory you could, but a university's aim during clearing 2007 is to fill up spaces for its september 2007 courses.

You might be best to apply as early as possible in 2008. Having already done A levels etc you shuold get a defiante offer (no having to wait til results day) so it wont drag on and be uncertain like this year.

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm aborad for 10 months, so what if they ask for an interview?

ReputationRep:
    You won't be there for it.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's OK, I just wrote my Clearing thread for fun. I never expected anyone to actually read it.

(Original post by ArsenalTFX)
    Well i'm aborad for 10 months, so what if they ask for an interview?
    Are you applying to a course or uni that generally interviews?

(Original post by clefeen206)
    I was wondering if someone could give me some advice as I am a little worried.

Got my 2 AS results back today from AQA. I already have them certified at a PREVIOUS CENTRE. I resat them at a different centre this June and only received the units I sat in June. My UCI number from my previous centre was on the results slip as well.

I didn't submit one unit for Sociology as I achieved a high grade at my last centre. I did however receive 2 much higher grades in the June 07 exams which I added up from UMS as a middle A grade. But it didn't give me an overall grade or even a grade from my last centre.

English Language was a lower grade than at my last centre but it has added up a new grade for me with the most recent marks, even though I have higher marks for the units at my previous centre. I was told that it wouldn't give me a new grade as they have been certified already.

Is this normal for AS? I'm just really worried. My centre didn't know what to do.

I am planning on taking these both onto A2.

Thanks guys!
    If you had certified the previous modules that you have sat to make an AS you cant then take a module from that AS and put it with your new modules that you done this summer to make another AS so you will have to resit the module that you didn't resit this summer to put towards your new AS level. You should have been told that when you decided to do those resits.

ReputationRep:
    well im applying to do a Physics foundation year course, and i'd imagine they might want an interview. I dont know though.

Contact the universities you would apply to and ask if they generally give interviews and what they would do if you were out of the country. They probably have an alternative as lots of people have gap years abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for this guide. It proved invaluable on Results day when I didn't get the right results. It felt like the end of the world, but after a cup of tea and a quick look through the Independent I had a list of unis to ring up, and got informal offers from 6 of them. Of those 6 I was most keen on Leicester and UEA, and visited Leicester yesterday and visiting UEA on Monday.

I still don't have my Clearing passport yet, but after explaining this to both unis they agreed to hold my place for at least a week (Leicester indefinitely - the admissions tutor loves me )

Clearing isn't the end of the world - there are some very good universities that happen to still have places. I'm just glad I made sure I had all the right info with me and got on with making the phone calls

ReputationRep:
    Got into Liverpool Hope on Thursday (my firm choice ) can;t wait to start.

ReputationRep:
    If people still haven't done this I would strongly advise it:
    If you missed you spot by a grade, it is still definatly worth calling up the university, as it may be possible for you to still go there.

(Not aimed at anyone specifically)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    If you had certified the previous modules that you have sat to make an AS you cant then take a module from that AS and put it with your new modules that you done this summer to make another AS so you will have to resit the module that you didn't resit this summer to put towards your new AS level. You should have been told that when you decided to do those resits.
    I understand that part. What I don't understand is why unlike at my previous centre my results slip didn't tell me all my past module results. Is that because once an AS is certified the units no longer matter?

So my certified AS's from my last centre HAVN'T been deleted or rewritten? So when I get my A2's next year it will use my best AS marks from the certified AS's AND the resits which have been done after certification?

Thanks x
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    And now you've all got a place at uni, you can consider becoming one of TSR's PS Helpers. You need to wait until you've arrived and settled in though.

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice!

Ok, well I got rejected by the uni's I applied to early in the year and came to the decision I would apply in 2008 and went ahead to apply at an art college for a foundation in art and design.
    After getting my results I was rejected for the foundation in art and design and they suggested I do a ND in art and design instead so I agreed to do that. Although I've been thinking about it recently and I'm not sure I want to do that course as it only gets me A-Levels and I've just done my A-Levels so I feel that it would be a waste of my time.

But today I've been thinking about clearing, I want to do a media studies course at 'The College of St Mark and St John' they accept 140 points, but I only have 130 points. Although I hear the college cares more for the people and not the grades.
    I have 2 A-level's
    D in media, E in art and a AS-level in RS - D
    I'm phoning the college tomorrow, do you think they would accept me?
    What questions will they ask me? I just want to be prepared because I really want to do this course!
    I have my UCAS Passport so thats all ok.
    Also if they do accept me, where do I find the forms for a Uni loan? I know its rather late!
    I would be over the moon if they accept me with my grades!

Thanks for any help ^-^

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.