Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The person who married my father has made my life unbearable at home. I rarely go home to visit as she makes her best effort to make me feel unwelcome. I had to move out of the family home when I was 16 and move to a different city with my uncle. This is made worse by the fact other than my 2 uncles (who I'm very close to) my dad is my only family member. It has been 5 years now and our relationship has definitely been affected but we are still close. I was never at fault this woman made every effort to force a 16 year old girl out of the home she grew up in and succeeded because she was jealous. No whenever I go home to visit she verbally abuses me. I don't see us ever getting on.

It just made me curious is this a normal situation... if you have "step-parents" do you get on? Have you always? How old were you when they came into your life? A lot of my friends that have step-parents like them.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your dad ffs and tell him all this, make him believe it

(Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Talk to your dad ffs and tell him all this, make him believe it
    it's been 5 years do you really think if he ever believed me before it would have gotten to this point? thank you for your reply though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    it's been 5 years do you really think if he ever believed me before it would have gotten to this point? thank you for your reply though
    That's sad then that he would choose his new hossy over his own flesh and blood :/ maybe not now, but one day he'll realise the relationship he has sacrificed with you and will regret that

ReputationRep:
    The person who married my father has made my life unbearable at home. I rarely go home to visit as she makes her best effort to make me feel unwelcome. I had to move out of the family home when I was 16 and move to a different city with my uncle. This is made worse by the fact other than my 2 uncles (who I'm very close to) my dad is my only family member. It has been 5 years now and our relationship has definitely been affected but we are still close. I was never at fault this woman made every effort to force a 16 year old girl out of the home she grew up in and succeeded because she was jealous. No whenever I go home to visit she verbally abuses me. I don't see us ever getting on.

It just made me curious is this a normal situation... if you have "step-parents" do you get on? Have you always? How old were you when they came into your life? A lot of my friends that have step-parents like them.
    I have a step dad and we get on really well but I was five when he came into my life.

ReputationRep:
    I only have one step parent which happens to be my mums partner. I absolutely hate him with a passion he was physically mentally and emotionally abusive. My mum knew but never really seemed to do anything about it, i feel because she was worried because he has mental disorders. When i turned 18 i moved out into my girlfriends home with her family until I start university. I've noticed now that I am no longer there he treats my younger 14 year old sister the same way and im afraid that will go to the even younger ones when she leaves.Its horrible to have to go through stuff like this but there will always be someone to help you through it and understand. Most of mine were people i had never met before online and my partner.At the time i had no relationship with my own dad for about 3 years but now I have regained that, its off to a rocky start but it deserves a chance.Its even worse that you had to move city away from anything you had or anyone you knew. Just know people understand and you can go anywhere to find comfort and support.Ill always be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    I was 11 when I first met my (to be) step-dad. My mum and him then got married, and I adore him. He adopted me last year

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope it improves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    I was 11 when I first met my (to be) step-dad. My mum and him then got married, and I adore him. He adopted me last year
    its really nice to see that all step parents are not all horrible nut cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaylumj)
    its really nice to see that all step parents are not all horrible nut cases.
    Eh, not so sure about the nut case bit but yes he's lovely, I suppose I was one of the lucky ones!

just a disclaimer I am now an adult and although it's a sucky situation it is one that i have learnt to live with and handle in my own way!

My dad's wife (I feel weird calling her my step-mom) was a ***** to me when I lived with them. She'd purposely do things to get me in trouble and my dad would always take her side even when I wasn't in the wrong. Literally one time I asked my dad if I could go out and he said yes, so I did and when I got home she got annoyed at me because I didn't tell her and then my dad agreed with her :sigh::sigh: But when I was 16 I moved out and lived with my mom instead and she's been nicer to me on the rare times I see her. So I think it's a similar sort of 'she wants him to herself' thing like yours? I hope your situation gets better though, I know how much it sucks.

ReputationRep:
    That's really sad I'm sorry it has turned out this way for you my parents split when I was about 4 or 5, it was just me, my brother and mum living together and then she met our stepdad about 2 years later and ever since then he has been a part of our lives. We saw our dad every other weekend, but then he moved away which caused a lot of arguments and tension, he didn't pay money he was supposed to etc, put a lot of his different girlfriends before us (taking them to NZ to see our family over there without us, going on fancy holidays). he has recently remarried but still puts her first really which is hurtful, she is ok but we dont see him a lot, maybe 2/3 times a year.

Sometimes I like my stepdad, sometimes I hate him. He has an extremley short fuse and shouts a lot, it has gotten worse as the years have passed and i am often on edge when he is around. I appreciate everything he's done for us (we live in his house, he has taken us both on as if we were his own etc, even offering to adopt us) but I will be relieved to move out for my first year at uni to get away from his temper. He used to take his anger out on my older brother, but since he left home I am now the substitute i suppose.

You have it way worse than me but i am certain you will get through it, i think discussing the problem with your dad and uncles is the best way.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.