Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a 1 hour commute of 2 busses to get to college too excessive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would have to get 1 bus to my cities bus station then another out to college.

How would I cope in winter when the roads and paths are icy and busses possibly cancelled for a 3 hour walk?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would decide if the journey is too long for myself and then take it from there.

It doesn't matter what other people think - it's about what you think.

1 hour and two busses can be seen as a long commute however it's also quite fast when you consider how other people commute.

Hope that helps.

Goose

ReputationRep:
    Unless you live out in the sticks then buses don't really get cancelled die to weather. You might need to allow a bit of extra time in the winter though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 2016_GCSE)

How would I cope in winter when the roads and paths are icy and busses possibly cancelled for a 3 hour walk?
    Hey,

I have some advice here. When I was younger, I used to live in a coastal town, about 30-35 miles away from where I live now. I'd moved to this town from London when I was six. I went to primary school there and eventually secondary school. For the first year or so of secondary school it was fantastic. I lived so local and it was so easy to get to! Then, my parents split up and Mum decided we'd move back to London.

I didn't want to move schools, in fact I was determined not to. So for four years I commuted 60 miles a day, about an hour each way to school. I woke up every morning at five thirty am. If there was traffic, I was late. If I missed the coach, I had to get the train and the way it worked out, it was guaranteed to make me 2 hours late if I got the train. I wasn't getting home until 6pm most nights. If there was bad traffic or an accident, I could be home at 9pm. The latest time I got in was about 10pm. It was awful, but I thought it was worth it. It made me so tired that often I slept on the coach or the train. Sometimes, I was so utterly exhausted that I just couldn't wake up in time for school. My journey impacted my attendance and my performance at school. I got to stay where I was, and for me the social security and remaining in the same environment was worth it. However, you've not started college. You haven't got many connections there yet.

I'd strongly, strongly advise you think very carefully about if you want to commit to that sort of commute there and back. When you leave college and you have the worst headache on earth, or you're absolutely shattered from an exam… you will still have a guaranteed hour of travelling to go through. A bus full of other noisy college kids doesn't sound appealing at the worst of times, trust me. So, I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. Far, far from that. But I'm saying to make sure you have a long think about it just to be sure.

I hope everything works out
    Ethan

ReputationRep:

Far to long some may say its fine but if you have any classes or catchup stuff after school it just means it takes even longer to get back home and do what you need to. i mean 2h traveling is a long time and during exams coursework youll have to wake up much earlier than normal to make sure you dont miss buses etc and you may feel exhausted later on.

However that being said if you feel you can organize your time and get work done etc and dont mind the travel then its fine

ReputationRep:

In 6 years of using public transport Ive only ever known buses to be cancelled once so I would not worry about that.

What sort of distance are you looking at? My commute is about the same but I plan to cycle most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    I take 2 buses. It's around 35 minutes to get to school. Are you willing to get up really early to get to school on time?

ReputationRep:
    If you're determined then easily done. For a year I travelled an hour and a half four days a week to college. It was three trains. Sometimes it would take me two hours on the way home if my class let out even a little late because one of the trains only ran every 30 minutes.*

It's really down to what you are prepared to do. I don't think I'd be prepared to do the above again (especially once you add 10 minutes of walking at each end).

My current train journey is an hour, plus once again 10 minutes walking at each end. But it's a single train so it feels so much easier. *

ReputationRep:
    My friend does the exact same thing and has no issue

ReputationRep:
    I have commuted 30-45mins to the city then 20-3mins to college. No issues whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few people do that at my college. I also have to get a bus from where I am > town centre (25 mins) and then either another bus (10 min) or walk (20 min) and I manage fine in winter unless we have a blizzard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.