Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started working at tesco on the 1st June this year on a 13-week temporary contract. My contract ended on 9th August and I have not been given a new, permanent contract even though I was supposed to and have just been told they will get round to it and to keep working my hours as normal.

I want to leave for a new job and the handbook states I should give 1 week written notice. However I don't technically have a contract with tesco so would I be able to leave without working my notice?

ReputationRep:
    Someone just left my store saying they will work one day and that was that, manager said she couldnt so much about her decision

ReputationRep:
    your contract should actually say something about working or not during your notice period. It should say how long your notice period is and whether you're expected to work throughout it. When I left Trespass, I had a one week notice and I was expected to work the full notice unless my manager said otherwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrybun)
    I started working at tesco on the 1st June this year on a 13-week temporary contract. My contract ended on 9th August and I have not been given a new, permanent contract even though I was supposed to and have just been told they will get round to it and to keep working my hours as normal.

I want to leave for a new job and the handbook states I should give 1 week written notice. However I don't technically have a contract with tesco so would I be able to leave without working my notice?
    Id ust give the 1 week notice. It isnt that long. And at least you will leave on decent terms, especially if you want a reference or anything.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Either you work and take the extra money or you don't, if you're not on a permanent contract but still getting paid I don't believe they can force you to stay with any repercussions due to your Temp contract expiring.

Tesco don't give personal references so it wouldn't matter in that aspect.

ReputationRep:
    I would have no issue working the one week notice usually, but I am having huge issues with my manager and my hours for the next few weeks are awful and sometimes impossible for me to get there on time (I get there via public transport and it doesn't run that early) which she know but doesn't care. I don't feel I owe her any favours and would rather not work the notice as long as there will be no repercussions for me like not being paid right. I don't see how I will be in breach of contract because I don't actually have a contract with them. Thanks for the advice everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.