Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My mother is notorious for having the worst temper imaginable. She screams and shouts at the smallest things and then wonders why I feel like I can't talk to her. When she goes on one of her little tantrums I will wait until it's over, go and talk to her about it but she insists that she does not over react and that I am in the wrong.

Example: about a year ago I was away from college for two months due to anxiety problems and I found out a few days ago that because of this I won't be invited back for the second year (which is fine as I was going somewhere else anyway). When I was telling my mum she was coming across as rude and irritated even though she was perfectly aware of the circumstances and had accepted them ages ago. When I asked her why she was coming across as rude she insisted that she wasn't, I persisted and assured her she was, so she started screaming at me and told me I'm 'a lazy little ****er that needs to get a job,' before storming out of the room.

My question is simple: how do I deal with this? She is so unapproachable but there's only so many more times I can deal with her tantrums before I lose the lid myself, and I'm generally quite calm and I try not to react to her when she's yelling in my face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dielan)
    My mother is notorious for having the worst temper imaginable. She screams and shouts at the smallest things and then wonders why I feel like I can't talk to her. When she goes on one of her little tantrums I will wait until it's over, go and talk to her about it but she insists that she does not over react and that I am in the wrong.

Example: about a year ago I was away from college for two months due to anxiety problems and I found out a few days ago that because of this I won't be invited back for the second year (which is fine as I was going somewhere else anyway). When I was telling my mum she was coming across as rude and irritated even though she was perfectly aware of the circumstances and had accepted them ages ago. When I asked her why she was coming across as rude she insisted that she wasn't, I persisted and assured her she was, so she started screaming at me and told me I'm 'a lazy little ****er that needs to get a job,' before storming out of the room.

My question is simple: how do I deal with this? She is so unapproachable but there's only so many more times I can deal with her tantrums before I lose the lid myself, and I'm generally quite calm and I try not to react to her when she's yelling in my face.
    Hi, this happens to me except it's my dad whose like that. Even though we've accepted his aggressive personality it's sometimes hard to ignore and we tend to lash out at him back. But the best thing to do is try to make an effort to be friendly and if she still acts violently or argumentative towards you, try sitting her down and asking her why she behaves like that and why she treats you in this way. If this don't work and you feel she'll never change, be civil but distant to prevent being unnecessarily attacked

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.